Changing Moments

Chapter 3

I sat there slouched back in the theater chair waiting for the contestants to come out and sing a final time for the judges. They were aloud to leave once they were finished but of course Michael was dead last. Great I got loads of time to kill. I thought to myself. I didn't really pay attention to the other singers until I heard Ryan's voice come across the speakers.

" Next up is David Cook. Singing Everything I do by Bryan Adams."

I watched him, sinking lower into my seat a little more making sure we didn't make awkward eye contact like last time. He came out with his guitar I saw him playing on before. I wonder if he's any good? Oh did I ever find out!

I found myself unable to tear my eyes away from his performance. When Simon motioned to stop he did a dorky little smile and said " That was the easy part." I actually found myself laughing at his comment. I listened intensely to the judges comments and I almost wanted to throw something at Simon when he said that once David loses his guitar he will be vulnerable. "Vulnerable my foot." I mumbled under my breath.

He started to walk towards the end of the stage when his eyes flickered towards mine. Look away Allie, look away! I tried to force myself to look down at my feet, but I couldn't. It was like he captured my will to move so I couldn't turn away. He gave me a slight smile and started to walk towards where I was sitting.

No no no no please don't be walking over to me

I let out a breath when Ryan grabbed him for a quick interview. It isn't that I didn't want to talk to him, it was just that I really didn't know what to say. I knew if I were to talk it would come out jumbled and weird. Michael is right, I am a freak.

Luckily for me he was talking to Ryan for most of the performances. It was Michaels turn when David walked down the row of chairs and sat in the one directly in front of me. Allie relax, I need to relax. When I finally calmed down I realized I couldn't see anything because David's head was in the way. He for sure did this on purpose I thought.

I sat there for a few minutes wondering if I should ask him to move. Oh yeah Allie that'd be a great first impression.... Hey David move your head. No way was I saying that so I just moved down the aisle a few seats. I could of sworn I saw Davids shoulders shake like he was laughing. I didn't want to get distracted again and miss Michaels performance so I just sat back and watched him.

I couldn't even believe how fantastic he was! I've heard him sing thousands of times but this by far was the best. When he was finished he got great reviews all around, and when Simon said best performance of the night he looked blown away. After he got the reviews he looked at me and bounded down the stairs towards where I was sitting.

" THAT WAS AWESOME!!" He yelled

" No! YOU were awesome! "

That's when that familiar voice cut in.

" Michael man, way to kill it!."

I looked over and found myself captured in Davids eyes yet again.

" Thanks dude, you were great too! Don't listen to what Simon says." Michael replied.

" I try not to"

" Oh Dave I don't think you've met Allie Lewis."

Oh no.

" I've seen her with you, is she your girlfriend?" David asked.

" She wishes. But sadly for her I'm married. Allie is my best friend."

David laughed then out stretched his arm for me to shake his hand.

" Nice to meet you Allie." David said with a friendly smile.

" You too David." I said as I shook his hand.

For that quick moment our skin touched it felt like I was on fire. There was no way I was ever going to forget this moment.

" So David, Allie and I were going to go out for supper before she has to go back home. Do you want to join us?" Michael politely asked.

" I wouldn't want to intrude."

" No you wouldn't , come on Allie tell him he wouldn't." Michael said nudging my arm

" You won't." Idiot! Was that all you could say Allie?!

" Alright then let's go." David said jumping up from his chair.

The three of us made our way out of the theater and started to walk down the street. I was in the middle of the guys and I couldn't help but feel that David was looking at me out of the corner of his eye. I don't know how I am handle the rest of this night I thought.