Seeing

Dana.

Daisies and dandelions scattered about my small garden, swaying as the wind swept against their defenseless bodies. I could only hear the wind and the barks of the neighbor’s dog along with the rustling of the leaves in the large maple sitting behind me. I just sat, my eyes drifting and settling on different things; the red ladybug crawling on a blade of grass near my bare foot, my sister pacing back and forth in her room, the boy across the street, staring right back at me. Once he caught my gaze, he acted as if he never wanted to let it go. Sighing, I closed my journal and placed it on the ground beside me, ready to give him my full attention.

He was always there, watching me as I watched him. It hadn’t been going on for long. He would come to his friend’s house almost every day after school, but most of the time he spent there was more with me than with his friend.

They sat on the porch, just staring. His friend had finally given up on trying to get his attention for today, just like every day. He resorted to watching, too. I’m not sure he understood what he was looking at so intently, though.

I don’t know their names, nor do I wish to. I just like watching them. I like them watching me. I like making other people think the way they do.

“Dana, can you come help me?” Karyngton called to me through the open window. I nodded and quickly stood, brushing the back of my white cotton dress off before quickly bounding through the lush grass and ascending the stairs to the wooden porch. I stole one quick glance back at the boys and smiled lightly before making my way inside.