Therapy

Chapter Eight

"Good luck at your game, man," Alex smiled at his little brother as they got ready for two events. Peter; his soccer game, and Alex; his first gig with the band. "Wish I could be there."

"Yeah," Peter responded, barely above a whisper. "Good luck with the band."

"Maybe I won't suck, right?" Alex chuckled, trying to make light of the situation. "Tell Mom and Dad I love them." Alex ruffles his brother's hair and carried his guitar over his shoulder, along with some power chords the band would need. Then he made his way out of the door and to the van All Time Low would be using. "Hey guys."

"Where's your parents?" Jack asked, looking back at him.

"I told them to go watch Peter play," Alex smiled softly. "Let's go!"

&&&

"This song," Alex looked around the half-empty bar nervously. Not many people had showed up. But it was more populated than the band had predicted. Around thirty people stood there, waiting for Alex to say something. "Um - " He looked around and his eyes caught with his parents. He shook his head. "Hold on." Alex jogged off the stage, earning weird looks from the guys. Alex made his way toward his mother and father. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We came to watch you play," His mother announced, a grin on her face.

"No, no, no, no - " Alex sighed. "I told you to go watch Peter play! Why'd you come here? Don't worry about me! He deserves it. You should be there for him!"

"Well, it was your first gig, and his billionth game. There'll be others," His dad shrugged.

"It was the championship," Alex shook his head in shame. "And the game's probably over now. I told you to go watch him. You shouldn't have come here. He needs you more than I do."

"Well, we'll go home then and explain what happened. Just - good luck."

Alex shook his head again and made his way back toward the stage, then gave the guys a weak smiled. "This song is called 'Break Out! Break Out!'"

&&&

"Hey, man," Alex smiled as his brother sat on the couch in his soccer uniform. He spun a soccer ball on his finger and he was slouched back into the cushions. "How'd it go?"

"We won," Peter announced, emotionless. "I scored the winning goal."

"That's awesome! You probably had a better turn-out of a crowd them we did," Alex held up a hand for Peter, but he only shook his head. "Pete, I'm sorry. I told them - "

"This was the one chance I had to prove everything to Mom and Dad. And you stole it from me. Again. And again, and again, and again."

"Peter, you've got to understand. I told them to go watch you play. I told them to not worry about me. Please believe me. I didn't know they were coming to the bar. I really had no idea. I would never steal the spotlight from you on purpose, Pete."

"You're not the only fucking kid in this family!" He screamed. "I'm their son, too! Not just you! But somehow you always find a way to steal everything I have to myself! My own parents couldn't be there to see me score my first winning goal!"

"I'm sorry," Alex furrowed his eyebrows together sadly.

"Save it."


Camilla looked at Alex sadly as he sat on his bed. Then she lifted herself from his door frame and made her way toward him. As the floor squeaked slightly, Alex lifted his eyes from his hands and quickly wiped the tears from his eyes as Camilla sat next to him. They looked at each other sadly. Then Camilla lowered herself onto the bed, Alex doing the same. She faced him and let a tear fall, then took the picture he was holding out of his hands.

After a few minutes, Alex's door opened, Melissa and Jack pouring in with grins on their faces. Jack jumped on the bed with Camilla and Alex, causing both to look down uncomfortably. They weren't in the mood for Jack's happy attitude.

"Let's go somewhere," Jack smiled, flicking Alex on the head. "I was thinking we go see a movie. The Incredibles is still out. I'm big on Pixar."

Camilla looked at Alex sadly and shook her head just enough so only he could notice.

"You guys have got to get out!" Melissa smiled, looking back and forth between her two friends. "We're really bored and Jack has actually finished his homework. I think that calls for a celebration."

"I don't think so," Alex said quietly. "Maybe another time. We're just - we're not up to it right now."

"But - are you sure?" Jack pouted.

"Come on," Melissa pulled Jack's hand. "We'll try again tomorrow."

The two left with long faces as Camilla looked down at her hands. She felt bad for keeping Alex from hanging out with his friends, but she wasn't feeling at all up to anything they had suggested. She wanted to spend time with Alex. She wanted to take a warm shower. She wanted to not have to think for once.

"Don't feel bad," Alex sighed, taking her hand. "I understand. And I'm not really feeling up to it, either." Carefully and cautiously, Alex wrapped his arms around Camilla's waist and brought her closer to him. Camilla rested her head on Alex's chest. She inhaled his scent, and it was like a drug to her. She could sit there and be hypnotized by his scent all day.

Camilla pushed her lips to the side and reached for her phone. Then she quickly typed away and hit 'send.' Alex chuckled as his phone vibrated in his pocket. He smiled down at Camilla and read what she sent him.

Sing to me?

Alex smiled softly at her again, then typed away and hit 'send.'

Anything for you, Camilla.
♠ ♠ ♠
...comments?