Sequel: Finding Gerard
Status: Complete

Trust Me

Asleep or dead?

LAURENS POV

That's what I hate about my job, my life, you never know what to expect.

I guess I should introduce myself really. I'm Lauren or Loz as everyone calls me, Lauren Williams and I work with the NYFD That's the New York Fire Department. I'm 23 with Brown eyes and Black hair, into rock music, My Chemical Romance mainly, they are my all time favourite band and have saved my life on more then one occasion.

You may be wondering what a young girl is doing working in the fire department but I do it for my own personal reasons. Nine years ago I lost both my parents and my little brother to a fire in my house. My father was the sergeant of the force at the time, he was the chief, the best and I was so proud of him.

I never really got along with my mother but my brother was my world. I miss him everyday, I miss them all everyday and now I feel I'm doing my bit to help other people, save lives.

For a normal woman my age it is, in some careers the same shit different day kind of life with evenings out with Friends and boyfriends. Never do I have two days the same, I never know what to expect and must always stay on my toes.

The alarm rings at 5 am and I get up for another day of surprises. My favourite five guys ever are in town tonight and I might be able to go and see them - if Jason gets me the tickets. Jason is my boyfriend of almost four years and I loved him. LoveD him, not anymore. He drinks and does drugs and hits me when hes angry, Its not my fault I just don't want to be alone so I stay with him. Not that he's ever here that is.

BEEP BEEP BEEP I slam my fist down on the alarm clock. 5am another day. I roll out of bed and go for a shower, I have a strange uneasy feeling in my stomach this morning that I can't explain, like something bad is going to happen today but I ignore it.

Almost three hours later I show up at work. Tommy, my co worker is already there waiting for me, geared up.

"Call came in three minutes ago of a car crash on the interstate coming into NY. Tour bus and Two fuel lorries involved along with multiple cars, Police are on the scene awaiting our back up, One vehicle is leaking gas." He says helping me pull my huge fireproof jacket onto my small frame. My team, Tommy, Ryan, Ollie, Lauren (me) and Ian. We call ourselves TROLI to wind up chief but we say it boosts team spirit, He doesn't believe us.
"Alright TROLI GO GO GO!" Shouts Ryan as we all clamber into our scarlet fire truck.

Here we go again I cant help but think to myself as we start to drive off. Tommy had briefed me but you never know what to expect. Ian turned on the radio, we keep it tuned into the Police scanners to pick up on stuff.
"All units be advised Interstate 112 inbound to NY, Pile up involving three large vehicles and 9 small, Severe gas leak, Explosion threat. Assistance required, over," A voice rang out, sounding slightly disembodied and metallic because of the Radio system, almost inhuman.

"Shit we better hurry up," said Ian, putting on his helmet over his sandy blond hair.
"Right yeah got it," said Tommy, putting his foot down.

We sped up the interstate, sirens blaring, towards the scene of the accident. I felt my fingers tremble as I fastened on my helmet, the uneasy feeling still hadn't gone from my stomach and I was gazing intently out of the window for the first signs of the accident.

Then I saw it. Police and Ambulance workers everywhere with their vehicles parked all around on the Inbound side of the road. The truck skidded to a stop when we were closer and we all leaped out.

The second my feet hit the tarmac I started pelting towards the pile up as fast as my short legs could carry me. Yeah I'm only 5ft 5 but It doesn't bother me. I reached it in seconds and first inspected the scene.

One of the fuel lorries was on It's side and gas was pouring out. The tour bus was on its roof, windows smashed and flames licking up at the front. I walked around to the other side of the bus to inspect further when something terrible happened.

One of the cars' petrol tank exploded suddenly, people were screaming and crying, trying to get themselves away from the area. Police were helping evacuate people but I could see people in the vehicles.

"Tommy, Ryan! In the cab of lorry number two over there!" I cried, pointing to the Lorry that had one of its sides completely buckled from the impact but a man was sat in the drivers Seat, slumped over the wheel.
"Right were on it!" they shouted back over the roar of the increasingly large flames near the front of the tour bus.

I reached the door of the bus and tried to pry it open with my gloved hands. It was jammed shut. The door had bent in the impact and If there was anybody in there they would not be able to use the door.

"HELLO?" I called "IS THERE ANYBODY THERE? ARE YOU ALRIGHT IN THERE?" I listened closely for a response over the sound of the flames.

Suddenly a pale hand pressed itself against the glass.
"GET BACK!" I screamed as I brought my elbow up and slammed it full force into the window, causing it to shatter and thousand of glistening fragments to rain down.

The hand reached up again, I noticed tattoos on the fingers. 'HALLO' They said. I grabbed the hand and pulled the person out of the bus, coughing and spluttering they straightened up.

Frank Iero. He had blood all over his face and was bleeding from a head wound. He swayed on his feet and I grabbed his upper arm to steady him. My heart skipped a beat and feeling of cold dread of what I might find in this bus swept through my body.
"Get out of here!" I yelled, the flames were getting dangerously close to the bus now.
"M..my Friends are still in there!" he yelled back.
"I'll get them now go to safety!"

He ran for it, over to where the police were forming a area for people to wait for emergency transport to hospital. I saw a paramedic rush over to him but he was yelling something and trying to get back over to the bus, two police officers were holding him back with sad looks on their faces.

One out, four to go I thought, getting down onto my hands and knees and crawling into the bus. The smell of gas was still strong in here but I could hear something other then the flames, whimpering, somebody in pain.
"HELLO WHERE ARE YOU!" I shouted desperately, looking around the bus. Judging by the furniture in the room I was in, It was the lounge and kitchen. I could see a door at either end of the bus.

I stood up and ran to the door to my right, towards the front of the bus where I had seen the flames from the outside. I tried the door. Locked. I listened again, that room where the sound was coming from the whimpering sound.
"GET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!" I yelled as loud as I could. I took a few deep, steadying breaths before lashing out in a kick at the door, aiming for near the handle, as my father had taught me what I was just 12 years old.

The door splintered and I rushed into the room. Heat washed over me and I could see flames coming from the other end of the room where a door had burned completely through.

Bunks lined the walls with their curtains drawn.
"Where are you?" I asked, looking around again. I ripped the curtains back on each of the bunks in turn. The last but one bunk contained Mikey Way.
"Mikey? can you hear me?" I asked. He nodded slowly. Alert and responsive. He whimpered again.
"Where does it hurt Mikey?" I asked him. He had a cut on his head too, nothing as bad as Franks but blood was trickling slowly down his face, mixing with his tears and sweat from the heat of the bunk room.
He shook his head and screamed out in pain, hands rushing up to his neck. Spinal injuries.
I grabbed his leg through my thick gloves.
"Can you feel that?" I asked him. He didn't respond.
"Shit! Mikey wake up!" I tapped on his face. Still nothing. I could either leave him here and hope we got the fire out before it reached him or move him and risk paralyzing him if he did have spinal injuries, which I suspected.

Another explosion and more screams and yells from outside. I couldn't just leave him there.
"Hold on Mikey we'll get you out of this," I said softly, pulling him gently onto my shoulders. There is a certain way of lifting people so that you don't feel the weight as much and I used this now.

I got him out of the bus and carried him over to an ambulance as fast as I could. I lowered him gently onto the stretcher.
"Take care of him for me!" I told the paramedic before sprinting back to the bus.
Flames had engulfed the cab now and the driver must be dead. Nothing I could have done I told myself as I entered through the broken window again. I ran back into the bunk area to check the last bunk.

I ripped back the curtain, my breathing heavy and sweat trickling down my back from sprinting back here and lifting Mikey but what I saw made me forget about all that.

He was lying spread eagled on his front, his face towards me, eyes wide open in a blank stare. One of his arms hung at a very awkward angle to one side and blood was pouring from the elbow joint. His face was ghostly pale and he looked as though he didn't have any more blood left to bleed.
I ripped off my gloves and hurled them carelessly away, pushing my hand to his neck and feeling for a pulse. I found one. Thank God. It was very faint but definitely there. I put an arm under each of his armpits and dragged him from the bunk and onto the floor as gently as I could. There was no way I would be able to lift him, he was too big. I dragged him all the way out of the bus and when two police officers noticed me they came over to help me by carrying him.

"BOB NO!" Frank screamed. Tears were pouring down his face as he fought tooth and nail to get away from the police officers holding him so he couldn't get to Bob who was quickly put into the back of an ambulance.
I didn't have time to look back at them as I ran forward again towards the bus. That leaves Ray and Gerard inside.
I glanced around as I ran, my team were nowhere to be seen and the gas was gushing from on of the fuel trucks now and was dangerously close to the bus, dangerously close to the flames.

I didn't even pause to think as I ran back into the bus through the open window. The reached the door at the other end to the bunks and kicked it down.

A ball of flame punched out of the doorway, I felt it singe my face as I threw myself to the side. The bus was on fire from both ends and Ray Toro and Gerard Way are still inside. My heart was pounding in my ears as I ran back to the bunks to get my gloves back on. I tried to ignore the blood splattered all over Bob's bunk and my uniform from when I had moved him, blocked out the thoughts of what would happen If my moving him was just too little too late.

The other end of the bus held the makeshift studio that the guys used whilst writing on the road. I knew that much from 'Life on the murder scene'. I had watched it so many times I probably knew the whole thing off by heart.
"Help! Is there someone there? Help please!" Called a voice.
"I'm here I'll get you out!" I yelled back running through the flames in the doorway.

The rear compartment of the bus was not on fire, too badly, thankfully, just the doorway.
"Where are you!" I screamed once through the doorway.
"Bathroom," said the voice, it was getting fainter. There was only one other door, I broke through it.

Blood. Loads of it. Everywhere, the walls the ceiling (which was now the floor) Half a broken mirror still on the wall told me where the thing that had done the cutting came from.

"Thank god!" came the voice again.
"Are you alright, can you walk out of here?" I asked Ray. He was bleeding from his nose, mouth, cuts on his arms, face and abdomen. He had no shirt on and his hair was damp, I think he had just got out of the shower when the bus crashed and went face first into the mirror, then got showered in razor sharp broken glass when it shattered.
"I think so. I feel kinda dizzy," He tried to stand and failed so I took his hand and pulled him up onto his feet.

Another explosion from outside, bigger this time rocked the bus.
"Lets get the hell out of here," I said helping him walk out of the bathroom to the nearest window which I smashed with my elbow and pulled him out of to safety.

"Ray do you know where Gerard was when the bus crashed?" I asked him urgently. He shook his head. I turned and sprinted back into the bus through the broken window in the studio end.

"Gerard! can you hear me?" I called out, Looking around the room.
"GERARD!" I screamed as loud as I could. Panic was flooding through me..... coming back in here was against all the rules I had learned. Never enter a building or area in which an explosion was imminent. The fuel was everywhere now, the bus stank of it and it was all over the floor getting nearer to the fire.

A pile of guitar cases over in the far corner caught my eye, A foot was poking out from between them. I pulled the cases off the person until an unconscious Gerard Way came into view. I pulled him over my shoulder and Dragged him out of the bus. I was completely exhausted.

I placed him on the ground near an ambulance and away from danger. I looked around quickly.

I felt sick with horror. A small child was clambering over the top of the bus, clutching her teddy bear and calling for her mum. The fuel was seconds away from exploding.
"NO KID GET AWAY! RUN!" I screamed. The girl looked up, fearful, just as the fuel ignited.

I launched myself forward, running faster then I have ever run in my life. I could hear my team screaming for me to come back from behind me but there was no way I would let her die.

I climbed up on top of the bus and picked her up. The fuel was on fire and burning along, closer and closer to the fuel trucks, piled up against each other.

I leaped off the bus, about 8 ft high, and hit the ground running, the girl in my arms but it was too late, The tankers exploded behind me and I was thrown forward onto the ground and the girl flung away from me.

My helmet was thrown off my head and I crashed full force onto the ground, some ten feet from where I had been stood before. I lost consciousness instantly.