Sequel: Finding Gerard
Status: Complete

Trust Me

Cancer

BOBS POV

"BOB!" yelled the four other guys simultaneously, rushing over to hug me. I held up my left arm, it was in a thick plaster cast and hurt like hell. They all still tried to hug me, avoiding my bad arm as best they could.

"Thank Jesus you're alright! We were all so worried!" said Ray patting me on the back yet again. His face was tear stained as was Mikey's but I didn't like to ask.

My head throbbed painfully and I swayed on my feet. They all grabbed onto me to hold me up.

"Are you alright?" said Frank, concern all over his face. They helped me to walk over to a bed and I lay down. I couldn't face to tell them what the doctors had just told me. That's why I was so long. They weren't operating on my arm at all, they were filling me in on my condition, they gave me blood because of the amount I had lost in the crash from my arm, the bone had severed a vein but they fixed it up.

I felt tears sting at my eyes and wished the guys would look away. They were all stood around my bed and looking at me expectantly.

"I just broke my arm guys and they had to give me a blood transfusion because I'd lost almost 3 pints. I just feel really shaky," I lied easily. That's not the reason I feel shaky, I was in shock.

I have lung cancer. They found out just now. If only I had quit smoking it could have made all the difference but I didn't and now I'm paying the price for it.

They said I was lucky really, if this hadn't happened to us, the crash, they would have never caught it in time but its only in very early stages. I need chemotherapy and radiotherapy and that scares me. A lot.

They were still all gathered around my bed and I wished they would bugger off so I could sleep. I guess I should tell them, they have a right to know what is going on with me. I coughed, painfully. I thought it was just a smokers cough but it isn't. If only I had noticed months ago when it appeared! I was so caught up in the tour I didn't pay it any attention and when it didn't get any worse, I ignored it and started to get used to it. But now I had a knot in my chest, knowing what was inside of me, threatening to kill me, to destroy the band, the guys would never get over it if the worst happened.

"Guys I have to tell you something but please don't panic OK?" I said. My voice cracked and I looked away from them as tears threatened to leak from my eyes. They all nodded so I took a deep breath.

"There's no easy way to say it so I'm going to tell you the way they told me and cut to the chase. I have lung c..cancer." I finished and the tears started to flow. I wiped them away quickly but it was too late. They had all seen.

I covered my face as best I could with my one good hand and broke down completely. Crying my heart out with the guys all there. I never cry, not ever and everyone else has cried at least once on tour but hey, they're seeing something new I guess. I felt them all around me, closer now, someone had their arm around my shoulders and was sitting next to me. Somebody else had their hand on my knee.

"It's OK Bob we'll get through this, were here for you man," said Gerard thickly, patting me on the back. Whoever had my hand gave it a squeeze and I squeezed it back. I opened my eyes. Ray had his arm around me, Frank's hand was in mine and Mikey's hand was on my knee. I gave him a meaningful warning glance and he withdrew it.

"The doctors are coming to speak to me tomorrow to speak to us about it, speak to me about it. Let's all get some sleep." They nodded and retreated to their own beds, leaving me to my thoughts which were gradually becoming more and more depressing.

The doctors words hung over me like a knife and I couldn't help myself but to cry again. I just hope I don't die, what would happen to everybody? I don't even want to think about it.