Remind Me That We'll Always Have Each Other

She Believed In Heaven, Yeah;

As soon as I stepped into the Sky Harbor Airport, I knew I was home. I could already feel the overwhelming Tempe heat and although I would have normally found it unbearable, I felt as though it was welcoming me. I made my way over to the luggage claim, turning my phone on as I did so. I let out a yawn, allowing both of my ears to pop so I could hear clearly. As I neared the luggage claim, I saw the back of Jeremiah and Mia. A smile immediately grew on my face.

"Jeremiah! Mia!" I yelled, causing both of them to turn around.

Mia's two small legs took off running towards me and I bent down, allowing her to collide into my arms. "Sissy! You're home!" she squealed.

I laughed and rocked our bodies side to side. "Of course, babe. I told you I would be back!"

Jeremiah finally made his way over to me and I stood up, embracing him as well. "It's good to see you again, Kaydence."

I smiled. "It's good to see you too, Miah!" I picked up Mia and we walked over to the revolving belt that was spitting out suitcases.

Jeremiah caught me up with what was going on at home as we waited for my luggage to come out. When it did, he grabbed the bags for me and we made our way out of the airport. Just like I had guessed, the heat seemed to swallow me and I was actually thankful for wearing a skirt. I would have probably died in jeans.

After placing my bags in the trunk, I got in the backseat with Mia and Miah started up the car.

"Mom's at work; she wanted to call in but she couldn't get anyone to cover for her. Tim's barbecuing some burgers and stuff. Lainey should be coming over in a few," he told me.

I nodded my head. "I can't wait to see her!"

"She can't wait to see you either. She's been talking my ear off about how much she misses you."

I laughed. "Poor girl."

"When's John coming home?” Mia asked me.

“He’ll be back here in a few weeks, Mia.”

She clapped her hands together. “I can’t wait!”

I laughed. “Yeah, me either.”

_____________________________________________________

Once we arrived home, we dropped my bags off in the living room and walked out to the backyard to see Tim barbecuing meat on the grill, and a beer in his right hand. When he saw the three of us, he walked over and embraced me in a huge hug.

“Kaydence, it’s been too long!” he said.

I laughed. “I know. It seems like I’ve been gone forever.”

He nodded his head. “It does seem like it, doesn’t it? Well, I’ve got some burgers and hot dogs on the grill, and you’re mom made potato salad last night, it should be in the fridge; I hope you’re hungry!”

“Starved, actually,” I said and laughed.

He smiled. “Great. The meat should be done shortly.”

I nodded my head. “I’m gunna take my bags to my room and then make a quick phone call. I’ll be back in a sec.”

“Alright.” He walked back to the grill, with Jeremiah behind him and Mia sat down at the picnic table and began coloring in her coloring book.

I ran into the living room and grabbed my bags, then made my way up to my room. Once I opened the door, the smell of my perfume greeted me, and I sighed. It felt good to see my bed, and to see familiar surroundings. I dropped my bags by my bed and sat down, looking at my phone. I should call John, just to let him know I had landed safely, but I felt the need to at least let Kirstin know I was back home.

“Hello?”

“Kirstin?”

“Kaydence! How’re you?”

I laughed, and was glad to hear that she sounded a lot better than she had the night before. “I’m pretty good. And you?”

She sighed. “A lot better than yesterday. Did you find out when you’ll be able to fly back?”

“I just landed actually. I figured I should call and let you know.”

“Are you serious!? That’s great! When do you think you could come over?”

“Um, maybe later on? My parents have this big dinner planned and I’d feel bad leaving,” I told her.

“Oh, that’s fine. I’m so glad you’re here, Kaydence. I really need your help.”

I smiled. “I’m glad to be here, too. I’ll call you before I come over, okay?”

“Alright. I’ll see you then.”

“See ya, Kirstin.” I hung up and let out a big breath of relief.

At least Kirstin was in a better state at the moment. I quickly dialed John’s number and tapped the fingers of my left hand on my thigh, while waiting for him to answer.

“Kayde! Did you just land?”

I smiled at the sound of his voice. “I landed about twenty minutes ago, actually.”

“That’s good. I’m glad you’re safe! Who picked you up?”

“Miah,” I told him.

“Oh, how’s he doing? I feel like I haven’t talked to him in forever.”

I laughed. “He’s pretty good. He and Lainey are still together.”

He chuckled. “They’re meant to be together.”

I smiled. “Yeah, they probably are.” I laid down on my back and stared up at the ceiling. “So, what do you guys have planned for today?”

“Uh, just driving, I think.”

“Sounds like fun. I miss you guys already.”

He laughed. “We miss you too, Kayde. I miss you the most, though.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Oh, but I do. Garrett’s already smacked me five times for talking about you.”

I laughed and rolled onto my side, my fingers playing with my comforter. “Tell Garrett to keep his hands to himself.”

“I will.” There was a pause and I heard some noises in the background.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

“Nothing, I just came outside.”

“Afraid the guys will hear you?” I laughed.

He cackled. “No, I just wanted to make sure that you’re keeping your promise.”

I sighed. “I promised you I’d keep being healthy, and I won’t break it, John. Not this time.”

"I'm glad to hear that." I could almost hear the smile in his voice. “I can’t wait to see you.”

“Me either.”

“Only twenty-three days.”

I smiled. “You’re counting?”

“You’re not?”

I laughed. “That’s beside the point.”

“Uh huh. Have you talked to Kirstin yet?”

“Yeah, I just hung up with her. She seems to be doing a little better today.”

“Well, that’s good.”

“Yeah, I plan on going to see her later, after dinner.”

“Mmm, I miss home cooked meals.”

I laughed. “Twenty-three days.”

“I know. So, let’s get down to business.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, what are you wearing right now?” he deepened his voice, causing me to laugh.

“Oh, you know.”

“Paint me a picture.”

I smirked. “Just the usual: sweat pants, baggy shirt and I think my socks have holes in them.”

He busted out laughing. “Sounds sexy.”

“You know it, babe.”

“Well, as much as I do love talking to you, it’s my turn to drive.”

I sighed. “Be careful.”

“I always am, love. I’ll call you later, okay?”

“Alright. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

I hung up and laid my phone in front of me. My background was a picture of John and I at the beach. He was pretending to bite my cheek and I was smiling wide, on the verge of laughing. I ran my thumb over the screen and sighed.

“Twenty-three days.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I just realized I never really explained how 'Kayde' is pronounced.
It's pronounced like 'Katie'. Hopefully you guys weren't too confused on the nickname. (:
Thank you all for the comments! They mean so much to me! (: