Remind Me That We'll Always Have Each Other

She Believed In Miracles, But Never Let Them Help;

Saying goodbye to Kirstin had been harder than I thought. It was like saying goodbye to a younger sister; which made me glad that Mia was only five, and I wouldn’t have to be saying goodbye to her anytime soon. Today was the day John was due home. I had spent the whole morning being a complete nervous wreck, and getting on Jeremiah and Lainey’s nerves. I was nervous that maybe time had made John change his mind about me; that maybe, his love for me had lessened. But, Lainey had assured me that this was all in my head. However, I was still nervous.

I had also gained a solid four pounds since being home, due to lazing around on the couch and stuffing my face with so much junk food, that it made my stomach turn just thinking about it. My mother and Tim, along with Jeremiah and Lainey, told me the weight gain looked good on me – I was finally looking healthy. And hearing that come from their mouths, somehow reassured me that for once in my life, I was on the right track. I was doing something good for myself and for my health.

“Kay, are you ready to go?” Miah asked me, twirling his car keys in his hand.

I nodded my head and flew up from the couch. “Yeah, let’s go.”

He chuckled at my eagerness. “Somebody’s excited to see their lover.”

I rolled my eyes. “Shut up.” I laughed and pushed him towards the door, just as my mother came down the stairs.

“Is John coming over for dinner?”

I nodded my head. “Yeah, he is. He’s going home, though, for a bit, to see his family.”

She nodded her head. “Alright. I’ll see you three later,” she said, giving me, Jeremiah, and Lainey hug.

“Later, mom,” Jeremiah and I said in unision.

“See you later, Mrs. Smith,” Lainey said.

As soon as I sat down in the backseat of Jeremiah’s car, I could feel the heat, and I immediately regretted wearing jeans.

Please, turn on the AC,” I said.

Jeremiah laughed. “You should know better than to wear jeans in the summer, Kaydence,” he told me as he put the AC on.

“Oh, shut up and drive.”

Lainey turned up the radio, as Jeremiah backed out of the driveway. “So, are you still feeling nervous?” she asked me, turning around in her seat to face me.

I nodded my head. “Yes, and now that we’re actually driving to the airport, I feel nauseous.”

She laughed. “You’re crazy, Kay. John adores you, we all know it. There’s no need to be nervous.”

I sighed, and rested my head against the window. “But what if he sees me and realizes that I’m now worth being with?”

Jeremiah groaned. “Kaydence, shut up. I’ve known John for a long time, and I’ve never seen him this crazy over any girl. As much as I hate to admit this, being your older brother and all, you two are perfect for each other.”

“See?” Lainey asked.

I bit down on my bottom lip. “Maybe you two are right.”

Miah laughed. “I know we’re right.”

Lainey and Jeremiah carried on their own conversation, while I sat back and nervously chewed on my nails. I was nervous of what John would think of my weight gain, more than anything else. I slouched down in the seat, remembering the nights I had spent with him when I was on tour. The love in John’s eyes flashed in my mind, and I suddenly felt stupid for worrying. John had thought I was beautiful then, even when I was just skin and bones.

And although it wasn’t like I had gained a ton of weight, I had gained some, and that was better than nothing.

When Jeremiah pulled into the parking lot of the Sky Harbor Airport, I was the first one out of the car.

Lainey laughed. “You still have to wait for his plane to land!” she yelled, as I began speed walking to the doors.

I ignored her comment, and walked straight into the air conditioned building. I glanced at the television screens with the arrival and departure times of flights, trying to find the one coming in from Los Angeles. John was flying alone, just so he could arrive in Tempe today, to see me. The rest of the boys were driving the van home.

When I found the flight number, my eyes slid across the screen to the time. 2:50. Five more minutes.

“Did you find the flight?” Jeremiah asked, him and Lainey joining my side.

“Yup; his plane lands in five minutes!” I turned to face them. “Five minutes!” I screeched, causing them to laugh.

“Goodness, you’d think John was gone for years, instead of days,” he said.

Lainey laughed and nodded her head in agreement. “I know, right?”

I ignored them and walked over to the large window, overlooking the planes coming in and leaving. After a minute, I watched as a rather large plane landed on the runway, rolling slowly towards the building. I felt my heart beat increase, and I turned to Lainey and Jeremiah.

“I think that’s the plane,” I said.

Lainey smiled. “Here he comes.”

I laughed. “Do I look okay? Is my hair frizzing?”

Jeremiah rolled his eyes. “You’re such a girl, Kaydence.”

Lainey smacked him and laughed. “You look beautiful, girl. Not a hair out of place!”

“Thank you!” I smiled and turned around, staring at the hallway where John would be walking into the airport.

There were so many people coming in, I was beginning to worry I would miss John.

“Look! I think I see him!” Jeremiah told me, standing on his tippy toes. “Come on!” He began to run over to the crowd, and Lainey grabbed my hand, making us run in the same direction.

“John!” Jeremiah yelled, covering the sides of his mouth with his hands.

And just as the name left his lips, the back of a dirty blond head turned around, and my heart melted at the sight of those green irises. Once his eyes met mine, he began running over.

“Kaydence!” he yelled, wrapping his long arms around me.

“John!” I yelled in the same tone, wrapping my arms and legs around him.

“God, I missed you,” he told me, bringing his lips to mines.

I smiled and felt my cheeks growing warm as I stared into his eyes. “I missed you, too.”

Jeremiah cleared his throat. “What are we?” he asked, gesturing to himself and Lainey. “Chopped liver?”

John laughed and set me down, giving them both hugs. “I missed you guys, too.”

“Yeah, sure you did,” Lainey said sarcastically.

“I did,” John said, holding in a laugh.

I couldn’t help but to want John to myself, as much as I loved Lainey and Jeremiah. Going nearly a month without John, had drove me crazy. And now that he was here, within my reach, I wanted him all to myself.

Jeremiah looked at me. “We’ll meet you two by the luggage claim, okay?” He grabbed Lainey’s hand, intertwining their fingers.

John nodded his head, and Lainey gave me a wink, as her and my brother walked off. John turned his attention back to me, and I smiled.

“Did I tell you how beautiful you look, yet?” he asked, tucking a few strands of my hair behind my ear.

I shook my head. “No, I don’t think so.”

He gave me a loving smile. “Well, you look beautiful. Even more beautiful than I remember.”

I giggled, and knew I was blushing. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought our bodies closer together. “You look pretty beautiful, too.”

He laughed. “I have a secret.”

I arched my brows. “What is it?”

“I haven’t showered in two days,” he whispered.

I laughed. “That’s sexy.”

He smirked. “You think so?”

I nodded my head and brought my lips to his ear. “I have a secret of my own.”

“Do tell me,” he mumbled against my neck.

“I’ve gained four pounds,” I whispered.

He pulled away from me, looking me in the eyes. “Seriously?”

I nodded my head, licking my lips. “Seriously.”

He smiled and pushed his lips against mines. “I’m proud of you.”

I’m proud of you. Those four words meant more to me than he’d ever know.

“Thank you.”

He shook his head and laced his fingers with mine. “No, thank you.”

Twenty-three days had changed nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
This isn't the ending, in case any of you were wondering.
I'm sorry for skipping such a huge gap in time.
I just felt that if I wrote chapters with John being gone, they'd just be fillers.
As always, thank you all for commenting! (: