Razorblade Charm

Cheerleaders

Tinkerbell.

Strange.

She comes to school in the strangest outfits-black parachute pants with red PVC straps attached with D-rings, corset tarten pinifores, multi-coloured lepord print tights, leggings in neon colours, long baggy vests and jungle boots with sixteen-hole laces.

" I like dressing like this," she shrugs one day. " It's just...me."

Her hair is purple, metallic purple, sometimes back combed and frizzed, sometimes pulled into millions of tiny plaits, but mostly loose. She wears clip-on studs along the ridge of her ears, multi-coloured bands and lots and lots of charm necklaces.

" I collect charms," she explains, as if I couldn't guess. " My dad bought me the first one."

And she shows me a little white rabbit charm dangling from a choker. She has skulls, lightning bolts, hearts, stars, animals. She has coffins and corpses and fairies, music notes and band symbols and instruments, cartoon characters and flowers and manga-style people. Each has a story behind it.

" My friend, Lisa, bought me this one," she says, showing me a charm of a silver double-quaver. " She taught me about music, and how to respect it."

My favourite is still the razorblade, although she never talks about it. It's not the same polished silver as the other's. It's dull and old, strangling realistic and sharp, with the ingraving on the side. Romantico means Romance in Spanish-Razorblade Romance. It's not a band though-I Googled it. I think the reason behind it is deeper than it seems.

It's a surprisingly sunny Tuesday, and Tinkerbell and I are sitting on the benchs that line the school pitch. It's cheerleader practise, and the girls are launching into a routine. I talk to Tinkerbell, but then tune into their chant as people start yelling in agreement.

' Plesentview girls have got the moves,
Best ones from Earth to the Moon.
We're so neat, we're so cool,
We own hottubs and swimming pools!
We're not thick, we're not slow,
Not like the dreaded E-M-O!
Emo kids are halfbreed scum,
Who never smile or have fun.
They must come out of Hell,
Just like Ryan and Tinkerbell.
They think they own this town,
But we hate them and they're going down!
People who like them should be shut-off,
Everyone should hate those filthy cutters.
The girls just give us a scare,
Especially the one with purple hair.
The boys aren't straight with eye-liner,
They could look a whole lot finer.
They look nasty, they look cheap,
That Tinkerbell looks like-AAAGGGHHHHHH!'

A litter of screams gushes through the pitch, and I notice Tinkerbell isn't sitting beside me like she was a minute ago. I look up to see flocks of cheerleaders running, one remaining. Her long blonde hair is caught in Tinkerbell's fist, and as she pulls, it comes loose from her head.

" Aggghhhhh! Get this cutter off me!" screams the cheeleader, Summer. Tinkerbell grabs
hold of hair again and pulls harder.
" PATRICIA HEART! WHAT IS GOING ON?"

Mr Trohman, the Headteacher, comes over and forces them apart.

" You girls better come to my office,immediatly!" he snarls, and marchs away. Summer trails after him, and Tinkerbell lopes behind. She catchs my eyes, grins and winks slowly.

A/N: I don't mean any of that chant-I love emos