I'm Not a Princess

Thirteen

"Averyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

"What?" She calls, setting down the book she's reading. She glances at it with a longing sigh as she stands, ready to head out to Dani. But it turns out there is no need, as her roommate and faithful though very odd friend, appears in the doorway.

"Guess what!" She grins happily.

"Pigs can fly?"

"No!"

"You won an Oscar?"

"Nope!"

"You... ate an Oscar?"

"No, no! Come on, guess!"

Avery sighs, rubbing her head. This has to happen at least once a week. It's amazing however, at the same time- Dani's constantly bursting to tell her something new, but she won't say anything until Avery manages to guess at least close to what her news is.

"You're dating an Oscar!"

"So close, oh my gosh, you were right there! But I'll tell you," she relents and starts jumping on Avery's bed... which had been neatly cleaned up and smooth until Dani appeared. But that usually happened, and Avery was no longer bothered by it.

"I have a daaaaa-aaate! AndI'msoexicted,ohmygoshIcan'tbelieveit!!" She screams all at once and runs out, waving her arms about.

"Okay, then...have fun," Avery offers with a shrug. Avery slowly closes the door, watching Dani dance around happily. A wistful smile falls on Avery, because she can't help but recall that once upon a time, she herself had acted like that.


"Mom! Oh my GOSH! Mom, guess what, guess what? Guess what!" Avery yelled, running through the front door and noisily dropping everything, kicking off her shoes and jacket. "You'll never guess what happened!"

"You actually ate your lunch?" Her mom guesses playfully, completely unruffled by her daughter's behavior as she continues cooking the dinner stew. "You look like you're going to spontaneously combust, child."

"I know!" Avery laughs, throwing her hands in the air. "I feel like it, too! And I looooove the feeling!" Still laughing, she runs out the back door to run around in circles happily. Until, out of breath but eyes still shining, she steps back inside to accept the water bottle her mother hands her.

"So, I still don't know what you're so excited about," she prods her daughter. "Is there a carnival? Did you ace every single test? A school trip? Did you make a new friend?"

"Gosh, mom," Avery rolls her eyes with a giggle. "I'm so over all that."

"Well, then?"

"Mom, he asked me out!" Avery squeals, and claps with her hands high, moving restlessly and happily in her seat. "Can you believe it? He asked me out!"

"Oh...." her mom nods slowly. "As in the boy you've been dreaming about since sixth grade?"

"Whatever," Avery huffs and starts off.

Her mother chuckles, watching her daughter start off moodily- but the cloud dissolves before she even reaches the stairs, and she shrieks again. "Oh my gosh! What will I ever wear?!" And the footsteps hurry upstairs happily.


"There is no hope for you and me
Cause this long drive might be [the last time I take the wheel]
You're not sure how you feel-"


Avery jerks up from her book in surprise, blinking. Hurriedly she grabs her phone and peers at the time of her alarm, turning off the School Boy Humor song she loves so much. "Aww," she whines. "Work already?"

Sighing, Avery stands and grudgingly grabs her scarf, puts on her ankle boots and after shoving her wallet, cellphone, ipod, and a tootsie-roll pop, she heads out the door, humming and headed to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
For Katrinaa, my faithful commenter and the one who finally helped me decide to use Gabe. :D

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Gabe is going to quickly arrive in the next one, no worries.

And sorry it's taken so long! :D but thanks for reading.
comment, pretty please?