I'm Not a Princess

Twenty-Four

San Francisco was supposed to make good things happen. The city lights, the late nights, the clubs, and the real dancing. It was supposed to be like a dream come true for Avery, the beginning of something really good happening. And yet, she wasn't happy. She couldn't smile at the lights, she wasn't getting her dancing right, and she wasn't having fun with the girls she was hanging out with.

At first, she didn't even understand it. She thought perhaps it was nerves, and how they were on the road just a few weeks later. But even stepping into Las Vegas, ready for their first show, she realized it was nerves at all, because that's not who Avery is anymore. She doesn't get nervous about dancing.

So what is it? She asked herself this question so many times, it was making her sick.

Until she looked at Gabe, jumping onto stage with a smirk, and realized exactly what it was. Avery realized she had gotten just what she wanted, to be left alone- only to realize that wasn't what she had wanted at all.

So long ago, back in the tiny town, when he broke her heart... she thought she would die. She thought she would never recover from such a heartbreak. So she decided to shield her heart, and build walls so she wouldn't be hurt again. But she wasn't just keeping others out- she was keeping herself in. And that was her mistake.

Swallowing, she watches Gabe stroll over after one song, grabbing some water and getting ready to introduce the girls. Her heart hammers as she hurries over to speak to him, just a word, but he gives her a cold look, as her mouth hangs open. "Gabe, I..." she begins hesitantly.

"Are you ready?" He asks brusquely.

It would seem he has his own wall up already. She bites her lip, glancing down and slowly nods. "Yes. Everyone's ready." She swallows, unable to speak with her heart trapped in her throat.

"Fine," his voice cuts deeply, twisting a knife inside her gut to the point she nearly flinches. As it is, he turns away as if she didn't matter- and obviously she couldn't anymore after her being so rude- and he jumps on stage, acting. "Hey you guys! Ready for more fun?" But his eyes aren't laughing like his throat.

Almost a beat slow on the song, Avery joins the rest of the dancers on stage, already the music pulsing through her body, taking over control for every fluid movement in front of the crowd. Except tonight, the dancing isn't an escape as she always hoped- instead, it feels like a trap. After all, if she hadn't been dancing, he wouldn't have come for her.

"Gabe? Can I talk to you?" Avery stammers politely. They've stopped at their fifth venue, somewhere in Texas, and she caught him alone, still trying to... what is she trying to do? He stares at her blankly after turning and for a minute she doesn't recall.

Apologizing..... say sorry! But how? She stares at him apprehensively with big eyes, not knowing what to say anymore. And all that time she had spent, locked in her bunk, day and night, rehearsing her speech.... Avery's heart pounds. What do I do now?

"Well?" He asks in a bored manner. "Is it about your bus? The venue? The food?"

"Uhm, no, I..."

"The dancing? The concerts? Something wrong?"

"Not exactly," she flushes. "I just wanted to-"

"Waters," he cuts in and only uses her last name which hurts her, pain flashing through her eyes. He falters, but continues, "seeing as we have nothing more than a business relationship, and you apparently don't want to talk business, I see no reason in having to discuss anything with you. Good day." He purses his lips, grabs his water and stalks off.

"No...." She whispers, watching him walk off, biting her lip. He strolls off, not in his proud, usual manner, but stiff and unhappy. Lately, she'd been noticing little things about him constantly, but she couldn't help it. He just... he was changing- from a fun guy to.... to someone else.

And it was all her fault.
♠ ♠ ♠
kinda long, kinda filler, sorry....

but it gets better! i promise. next stop, hopefully, is....dun dun dunnnnnnnnn.........