Backstage

Chapter 1

"Crap, crap crap!" Sami said. She paced back and forth across the back stage curtain, snapping her fingers just to do something with her hands.
"Calm down Sami! Jeez, you're making me nervous!" Nikky said from the couch. Nikky was tapping out a beat on her knees with her drumsticks. Katie stood against the wall, her bass in hand, her blonde hair hanging in her face.
"Sorry, I just really want to open already, we haven’t even met these guys yet. They could be weird freaks for all we know." Sami said, still snapping her fingers. Katie laughed from the wall.
"Sami, they're rock stars, they're not gonna be weird. They're gonna be cool."
Sami nodded.

Today was they're first day opening for a big band, it was too bad they had never heard of them. They were called Green Day and were said to be the best punk band on the planet. Sami took a deep breath and let it go. Three guys made up the band, her band was a band of three girls. When they heard that they were all the same age, all Nikky could say was, "God I hope they're hot."

Sami sighed as she continued to pace. “What time is it?” she asked as she stretched her arms behind her back.
“Uhh…it’s…March 15, 1991…umm…its Friday…” Katie stuttered, answering every question except for the one Sami had asked.
“It’s almost 6,” Nikky answered. Sami nodded. They were supposed to be here at 6. She looked over at her band mates.

Katie Stone. She could match a bass riff to any song you put in front of her. She was that good. Sami watched her best friend since 7th grade as she sat on the edge of the couch. Her blue streaked blonde hair hung in her face as she picked random strings on her 4 string Fender. Sami’s eyes shifted to their drummer.
Nikky Hampel. The best girl drummer she could have asked for. Sure, she was only 16, but she had dropped out of high school just for the band. Their band.
And Sami? Sami was the guitar player and lead vocals. She had been forced into the position. She didn’t really like to sing but she couldn’t deny that she had the best voice out of the 3 of them. And together, they were Whiplash.

A few minutes passed. The girls waited and still no Green Day. Sami had finally sat down next to Nikky and was plucking out the beat to one of their songs as she and Katie sang along to it. Nikky still tapping out a beat on her knees.
They came to the end of the song and they heard a voice from the other side of the room.

"You sound good."

Sami looked up. Three guys stood in the doorway. Sami looked at the one who had spoken. Three boys stood in the doorway, each one about 19 years old, the same age as they were, except for Nikky. The boy in the middle was shorter than the other two. He was about 5’8, he had blue hair, a black shirt with a red tie and a guitar strapped around his shoulder. Nikky tapped Sami on the shoulder.

“Thank God, they're hot!” she whispered.

Sami rolled her eyes and strolled over to the guys standing in the doorway.
"You must be Billie Joe," she said. He nodded.

"You must be Sami." She nodded back.

"This is Nikky," Sami said, for Nikky had come running over. "And that is Katie," she said pointing to the girl that was walking over to them.

"Hola!" Billie Joe said jokingly. Sami giggled. Billie smiled. "This is Mike, the greatest bass player in the entire universe," Billie said indicating to the tallest boy behind him with brown hair. "And this is Tre," he said indicating tot he boy with green hair behind him.

"Oh so I'm not the best drummer in the universe?" Tre said with a fake pouty look on his face. Billie turned to him and simply said, "Nope." followed by a quick I'm joking and a fake punch in the side. Nikky leaned over to Sami.

"The drummer is mine!" and with that she asked Tre if he could show her some of his drum routines.

"Well that didn't take long now did it?" Billie chuckled. Sami just nodded slowly. “I heard you’re from…San Francisco?” she guessed.
“Close. Berkley,” Billie corrected. Sami nodded.
“So are we!” Katie blurted.
“Really?” Mike asked. Katie nodded, all smiles. “Hey, is there a bathroom around here?” Mike asked. Sami and Billie shrugged. “I know,” Katie said as she grabbed Mike’s shirt. Sami looked over at her bass player with pleading eyes. ‘Don’t leave me alone with Billie!’ she thought. Katie just shrugged with a huge smile on her face as she led Mike down the hallway.
“Damn,” Sami whispered to herself as she turned back to Billie.
The bands had ditched their guitar players, leaving them with only the awkwardness between them.