Backstage

Chapter 10

“God, there’s so much we need to catch up on,” Billie said as he and Sami walked around the rooms. Sami smiled.

“I know. I want to meet Adrienne and…” Sami stopped talking. The name Adrienne still brought up so many memories. Sami wasn’t sure if she really wanted to meet her.

“Alright,” Billie said as he led Sami to the next room.

‘Well,’ Sami thought, ‘I said it, didn’t mean it but it’s gonna happen anyway.’ She sighed. Billie stopped next to a woman in black pants and a black dress shirt.

“Adie, this is Sami,” Billie said to her. Adrienne turned to Sami.

“Hello,” she said sweetly.

“Hi,” Sami said. 'She seems nice,' Sami thought.

“So, my jerk of a husband broke your heart?” Adrienne joked. Sami laughed nervously.

“Hey, at least I told you what I did. Some jerks just hide it,” Billie said to Adrienne as he put his arm around her. She laughed and kissed him. 'Ok, getting a little uncomfortable,' Sami thought. She wondered where Nikky and Katie were and how they were doing.

“Sami, I need to go greet people and stuff. Is that ok?” Billie asked.

“Yeah, its fine. I need to start meeting some people anyway,” Sami said putting on a fake smile.

“Ok, I’ll meet up with you later. Come on Adie, this is your party too,” Billie said, pulling Adrienne with him.

“Nice meeting you,” Adrienne said as she walked away.

“You too,” Sami mumbled. And just like that, Sami was alone.

As Sami walked around, she met a few people that she knew from other tours that they had done together…back in the day. Sami even met the guys from My Chemical Romance. 'I didn’t know there were with Reprise, too,' Sami thought as she walked away. She spent a few minutes searching for Katie and Nikky, but she had no luck. In the end, Sami decided to grab a Pepsi and go outside.

She stood on the balcony, looking out into the night sky. 'What time is it?' Sami wondered. She pulled out her cell phone and looked down on the small screen. 9:48. About another hour and she’d have to find Katie and Nikky.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

Sami jumped at the voice from behind her. She spun around to see Billie closing the sliding door to block out the loud music.

“Jesus, you scared me!” Sami said. Billie chuckled.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to.” He walked up next to Sami and leaned against the rail.

“Aren’t you letting you’re party people down?” Sami said with a smile. Billie smiled back.

“Not a party person myself. I mean, these types, you know? I can handle the rocker parties but don’t like the type where everyone gets together all nice. It’s all fake. Parties are when Tre goes crazy and ends up streaking across the lawn, followed by him passing out on the lawn.” Billie said. Sami laughed. “The only good thing about this party,” Billie continued, “was seeing you again. I tried calling your old number; some old lady picked it up.” Sami stared at him.

“Really?” she said in disbelief.

“Yeah,” Billie said, “she started yelling at me telling me that it should be illegal to prank call people. Swore she’d hunt me down and have me arrested.” Sami tried to figure out what he was talking about.

“What? No, not about the old lady, you tried to call me? I was the best part of this party? Really?” Billie looked over at her and smiled.

“Yeah, those things are all true.” He looked back into the night sky and took a sip of his drink. Sami still stared at him. 'So,' she thought. 'He really did want to stay friends.'

After about twenty minutes of catching up on the balcony, Sami headed inside to search for Nikky and Katie. She found them after about ten minutes.

“We should get going,” Nikky said. Sami looked around. She watched as a group of people left (she was guessing the boys from Jimmy Eat World). The room was staring to look emptier. She nodded. Nikky and Katie gave hugs and said goodbye to Tre and Mike.

“If you even need a place to stay if your husband makes you mad, you got me!” Tre said to Nikky as he gave her a hug. Nikky laughed.

“I’ll remember that, Tre,” she said. 'Where’s Billie?' Sami thought. She wanted to say goodbye. Who knew when she was going to see him again? 'Oh well,' she thought. Katie and Nikky were ready to go so they started towards the door.

“What? You were going to leave without saying goodbye?” Sami heard from behind her. Billie stood there, arms outstretched, waiting for his hug. Sami smiled and walked into his arms.
“Gonna miss you,” he said. Sami’s smile grew wider.
“Gonna miss you too Billie,” she said.
“Alright, go home to your son and your husband. Leave us all,” he joked.
“Night,” they said as they walked out the door.
“Night,” the three guys said in unison. The door closed and they were gone.

*An hour after the part was over (Billie’s house)*

“That was fun,” Adrienne said as she walked over to Billie. He had just come home from picking up Joey and Jakob from the babysitter’s house.

“Night boys,” Billie said, kissing each of them on the head.

“Night Daddy,” they both mumbled groggily. They had fallen asleep at the babysitter’s house and had both woken up on the car ride home. They walked slowly to their rooms. Billie watched them as they walked.

“Hmm? Sorry,” Billie said to Adrienne.
“I said that was fun,” she responded.
“Mmm hmm,” Billie mumbled.
“Are you going to bed?” Adrienne said as she walked down the hall.
“In a minute, I’m gonna go outside,” he said.
“Alright, goodnight.” She walked away.

Billie opened up the front door and walked out into the cold air. He reached into his jacket pocket for his packet of cigarettes, only to pull out a piece of paper. There was a number on the front and on the back, ‘This time, let’s stay in touch- Sami.’ Billie laughed to himself.

"She got me back."