Backstage

Chapter 11

*The Next Day*

Sami walked into the house, empty today. Scott wasn’t even home. She prayed that he and Max were having fun camping. Sami did the regular routine, purse on counter, no mail today (Sunday), to the answering machine. Sami pressed the play button.

“You have two new messages…First message."

"Hey honey, it’s Max and Scott. We just got done fishing. I hope you had a fun time at that party with your boyfriend…” Sami laughed as Max chuckled on the tape. “So, I’ll call you a little later. Have a good day. Bye.”

*BEEP*

“End of first message…Second Message."

"I found your note in my pocket… ha ha, very funny.” Sami laughed. It was Billie. “This time, I promise we will keep in touch, but that means that you have to call me back.” He gave her his number. “Ok, talk to you later. Bye.”

*BEEP*

“End of new messages.” Sami replayed Billie’s message and wrote down his number.

“I know Billie Joooe,” Sami sang softly to herself as she walked up stairs to take a shower.

“So, has he called you yet?” Katie asked over the phone.

“Why are you and Nikky making a huge deal out of this?” Sami said. It was Friday now and she had made the mistake of telling them about the note she put in Billie’s pocket.

“Because if things don’t work out with Max, I’m not saying it’s not working because he’s an amazing husband,” Katie said, putting stress on the word 'amazing, “we just want you to have a…a back up man.” Sami shook her head.

“Ok, there are many reasons why you are wrong. One, Billie is married. Two, I am married. Three, four, and five, together we have three kids. Come on! If you want me to have a back up man, which I don’t need, make it a single one with no kids, ok?” Sami said in rebuttal.

“Ok…Nikky and I are going downtown tonight, wanna come?” she asked.

“Naw, work was brutal today, I’m just gonna crash. Scotts at a sleep over and Max is gone.” Sami swore she heard Katie mumble “What’s new?” under her breath.

“Alright, you’re loss. Hey you never answered my question. Did he call?”

'Crap,' she had avoided that for a reason.

“Yes, he called and I called him back and I talked to him yesterday. Ok? Happy?” Sami said with a laugh.

“Yes I am. Now I can go downtown and party! Woo! Haha, Later!” Katie hung up. Sami looked at the clock. 8:30.

By 9:30, Sami was kicking herself for not going with Katie and Nikky. She was so bored. Max was working late, again. Nikky and Katie were gone. She switched the TV to MTV. The ‘Wake Me Up When September Ends’ video was playing. She smiled at the song, it was her favorite. 'Who was home?' Sami thought. A little voice in the back of Sami’s mind screamed, “Billie!” Sami shook it away.
'I can’t call him it’s too late. And what am I going to say if I do? Hey Billie, I was bored do you want to come over?' She laughed at herself.

Just then the doorbell rang.
'Ok?' Sami thought. She walked over to the door and pulled it open...only to see Billie Joe standing in her door way.

“Tre and Mike aren’t home. Adrienne is at a friend’s house, Joey’s at a party, and Jakob is with Adrienne. I was bored. Can I hang out here?” he said with a slight smile. Sami stared at him, her jaw hanging open. She shook her head slightly to figure out what was going on.

“Uh, y-yeah! Of course, I’m bored too.” Billie flashed a toothy grin.

“Thanks,” he said as Sami stepped aside to let him in. “Well, this will be a fun night,” she said as he walked in.

“Hells yeah it will!” he replied. Sami laughed. 'So this is my new friend,' she thought as she watched him look around at the house. 'Billie Joe Armstrong just walked into my house because he was bored.' Sami laughed as Billie watched the ‘Wake Me Up When September Ends’ video. Each time his face came up, he would look at Sami and ask, “Does my hair really look like that?” and each time she would laugh.
'What am I getting myself into?' Sami laughed at herself.