Backstage

Chapter 15

After a few minutes of waiting, the ambulance came and checked Billie. Sami watched from the porch as they shined a light in his eyes, tapped on his knees and checked his pulse. As she watched, Sami felt a hand on her shoulder. When she turned around, she saw Adrienne standing there. Sami felt herself begin to cry again but tried to stop it.

“I am so sorry,” Sami said. “This is all my fault, if I hadn’t called him…” Adrienne cut her off.

“It’s ok, I promise. Billie would have come over as soon as he heard that you were in trouble any time. He’s your best friend,” Adrienne said her hand still on Sami’s shoulder. Sami couldn’t hold back the tears any more. They began to spill out of her eyes and onto her face. She was his best friend and her crazed husband had knocked him out. Sami felt someone embrace her as looked up. It was Adrienne and she was starting to tear too.

“I don’t want you to cry just because I am,” Sami laughed slightly. Adrienne shook her head.

“That’s not it. It’s all that you’ve been through tonight. I am really sorry,” tears were on her face now. Sami felt so loved by Adrienne at that moment. She loved Adrienne so much and felt awful for making her cry. Sami embraced her and the two girls stood on the porch crying together.

“Adie,” Billie called. Adrienne looked up to see Billie standing there, a medic poking at his ribs. “Ow! Watch where you poke me, man!” Billie said to the guy. “Adie,” he called again. Adrienne looked at Sami, gave her one last hug and walked over to where Billie stood. Sami watched as Billie hugged and kissed her. Sami felt herself smile. She found herself wishing that she had what they did. Adie never had to worry about what Billie did behind her back. He was always home…

What was she saying? Billie was gone almost all the time on tour. Adrienne was probably always worried about what he was doing away from home. Sami just happened to meet him when he had some time off. Sami sighed and leaned against the porch rail as she watched Billie hold Adrienne in his arms. The medic tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the ambulance. Billie nodded and signaled for Sami to come over. She walked over to Adrienne who put her arm around Sami’s shoulder.

“They want to take me in, to make sure I’m not gonna die or anything, “Billie said jokingly. The medic gave him a don’t-joke-about-that-stuff look. Sami gave a weak smile and nodded. She was quiet for a few seconds until she couldn’t stand it any more.

“Billie I'm sorry. It’s all my fault, I don’t care how many times you tell me. I shouldn’t have called you,” Sami said tearfully. Billie came closer to her and hugged her.

“We talked about this. It is no one’s fault but Max’s,” Billie said as he looked over at the police car that was pulling out of the driveway, with Max in the back practically foaming at the mouth. Sami let silent tears fall down her face. She felt Adrienne’s arms around her too.

“Sir?” the medic said as he tapped Billie on the shoulder.

“Hmm? Oh, right. I have to go. Can they come with me?” Billie asked the man. He shrugged.

“Yeah, I guess."

The three of them climbed into the back of the ambulance, Billie with an ice pack (provided by the medic) on the side of his head. During the middle of the car ride, Sami began to worry.
She had to tell Scott that his dad as a complete jerk. Why his dad was never home. And what he had done to the family. Obviously, Sami’s fear was being shown on her face.

“Sami? Are you ok?” Adrienne asked. Sami looked up at them.

“I…I just have to tell Scott. I didn’t think of that before,” Sami said shaking. Everything was starting to sink in. Adrienne stood up and sat down next to Sami.

“It’ll be fine. It might be a little hard to explain to him because he’s so young. Just tell him that daddy did something bad and he won’t be living with you anymore. It’ll be fine,” Adrienne said as she gave Sami a pat on the back. Sami gave a small smile.

“Thanks."

After the ride was over, they all went inside so Billie could get checked out. X-rays, examinations, the whole thing. The three of them, being caught up and not thinking right, had to call Tre to come and pick them up, because they had forgotten to bring the car. They all arrived at Sami’s house so Adrienne and Billie could take their cars and go home. Sami gave Adrienne, Billie and Tre hugs before they left.

“Are you going to pick him up tonight?” Adrienne asked before she walked over to her car. Sami shook her head.

“No, I’ll let him have one last night thinking that his dad is still a nice guy that loves him and his mom,” Sami said. Adrienne nodded and gave her another hug.

“Good night, you’ll be ok,” she said as she walked back to her car. Sami stood on the porch and waved as they both drove away. She turned and walked inside. She was alone again, but this time, a little more than before.