Backstage

Chapter 17

*Sami was in her living room. It was painted all white.
'When did I do this? My living room is tan...right?' Sami thought as she walked through the room.

The TV was on and someone was sitting on the couch. She walked around to see who it was. Billie sat on the couch watching a football game. He was dressed in all white with the word BOY sewn across the shirt in black. He saw her and smiled. The thing was, this wasn’t the 33 year old Billie. It was the 19 year old Billie with the spiked blued hair and the light blue guitar sitting next to him.

‘Ok...this has to be a dream,’ Sami thought.

“AND THE FOURTY-NINERS WIN!” the voice said from the TV.

‘Yep, I’m dreaming,’ she finalized. She found herself walking over the mirror on the wall. She saw her hair. Dark brown like it was now only it had the bright pink streaks in it like what she had when she was 19. She smiled. She was 19 again and she was with Billie. She turned around and saw Billie standing next to her. He hugged her and kissed her. But then it changed.
She felt someone hit her in the face. Hard. She staggered backwards and stood staring at Max. He was scowling at her, yelling something that she couldn’t understand. Sami caught a look at her self in the mirror. She was 33 now. She turned back to Max who was still yelling. He pulled back his arm to hit her, when something came form the side and tackled him. She looked and saw the person that had tackled Max. He was wearing all black and had black hair that hung in their eyes. She immediately knew it was Billie. Billie stood up and walked over to Sami. The word BEST was sewn in white across the black shirt. He came over and hugged her. He kept saying that it wasn’t her fault and that he was sorry. Sami could see Adrienne behind him yelling at the unconscious Max. She kicked him in the side. She then came over and hugged both of them together.

“We’re here for you."*

Sami woke up in a cold sweat. She didn’t know why. It hadn't been a bad dream. It was just…vivid. It felt like it had actually happened. Sami sat up and looked out the window. It was still dark. She looked over at the alarm clock. 3:35. She groaned and fell back into her pillow.

“Scott, honey wake up,” Sami called into his room. It was 7 o’clock and Scott needed to go to school.

“Don’t wanna,” he mumbled. Sami chuckled and walked over to his bed. She pulled all of the covers off of him. He slowly rose, rubbing his eyes. “I’m up,” he said as he got out of his bed.

“Get ready, your breakfast is downstairs,” Sami said as she kissed the top of his head.

After dropping off Scott at school, Sami went home to get ready for work. She looked at the answering machine when she came home. It was blinking. She pressed the on button as she walked up stairs.

“Hey, Sami. No work today, Split Trick just finished recording yesterday so today you have off,” Sami walked back down the stairs and plopped onto the couch. “So we'll see you on Monday, have a nice weekend. Oh, we all heard about Max. If there's anything any of us can do down here, give us a call. We're very sorry. Take a break. you need it. Bye.”

Sami shook her head. She told Nikky and Katie and now the whole recording studio knew. 'Jeez, word travels fast.' She sat on the couch and listened to the other message.

“Helloooooo Sami!” it was Katie. “Well, tonight is me and James’…What is it honey? Eleventh? Oh ok twelfth…ok it’s me and James’ twelfth anniversary and we are all going to the little Italian place down town.”
'Good, something to do tonight,' Sami thought with a smile.
“I invited Nikky and John and all the guys…you know who I mean right? So! We’re going at eight and bring Scott because Adrienne and Billie are bringing Joey and Jake and James and I are bringing Kaylee. We’ll have a good time. It’ll get the jerk off you mind. Ok see you tonight! Bye!” Sami stood up and erased the messages. 'Well, it’ll be fun to see everyone. I haven’t seen Nikky and Katie in a while,' Sami thought. And with that, she went upstairs to take a shower.