Backstage

Chapter 21

“Go upstairs!” Billie yelled and with that he was off.

He jumped down the last three steps and sprinted towards the door which was now a quarter of the way open. He only had one chance. Billie was a foot away from the door when he flung his shoulder at it. There was a sick thud and the sound of Max falling down the stairs.

“BILLIE!” Sami screamed from the stairs.

“GO UPSTAIRS!” he yelled again. Billie opened up the door just enough to look out. There was Max, sprawled out on the bottom step clutching his head. Max opened his eyes and saw Billie.

“YOU!” he spat. Billie saluted him with the middle finger, shut the door and bolted it. Then, the pounding started. Billie slid slowly down the door. He was shaking so hard. He looked at his hands. He could hardy focus on them. He bit his lip and closed his eyes, trying to think of paradise. He gave himself a small smile at his pun, which quickly disappeared.

Max had come back.

The pounding continued, making his already hazy thoughts worse.

His best friend was scared again…

“B-Billie?” Billie’s eyes shot open as he looked into the face of Sami who was kneeling down in front of him. “You ok?” she asked tearfully. Billie nodded slowly. He watched as Sami’s eyes began to fill with tears. Tears began to fall down her cheeks. Sami flung herself at Billie and pulled him into a hug. “You…risked…yourself…a-again…You saved…everyone,” Sami said in between sobs. Billie hugged her back and tried to calm her down. She continued to cry into his shoulder.

“Its ok. I’m ok, we’re all ok,” Billie said rubbing her back. The pounding stopped and Max could be heard running around outside checking every door to see if it was open.

“Are you guys all right?”

Billie looked up. Katie and Adrienne stood at the foot of the stairs staring at them. Billie nodded and Sami continued to sob. Adrienne and Katie walked over to Billie and Sami. They all sat against the door comforting each other, waiting for the cops to show. Soon the sound of sirens and scuffling feet filled their ears. Then a soft knock, just like that dreaded night almost two months ago. They all got up and Sami opened the door. Chief Daniels stood in the doorway looking very sorry.

“We are so sorry ma’am. The guard that let him slip out had been paid off. He is being fired and your husband…”
“He’s not my husband,” Sami cut him off. The officer nodded, understanding completely.
“Max,” he started again, “will be moved to a different prison. We are very sorry for this. If there is anything you ever need, just give us a call.” And with that, Chief Daniels walked to his car (which had Max securely in the back) and drove away.

The four of them stood in the door way for another minute, soaking in what had just happened.

“The kids,” Billie mumbled to them. They all nodded, closed the door and headed upstairs. Sami knocked on the door.

“Scott? Honey its mom,” she said. There was a CLICK and the door was opened by Joey.

“Mom, what happened?” he asked Adrienne.

“Honey, we’ll tell you in the morning,” she said. Sami looked into Scotts room. Jakob, Scott and Kaylee were all huddled together on Scott’s bed.

“Mommy? Can we go home?” Kaylee said from her spot on the bed. Katie nodded.

“Come on honey,” she said. Kaylee got up and walked over to the door. She gave Joey a quick hug and then grabbed onto her mom’s hand. Jakob and Scott got up off of the bed and walked over to the door together. Billie picked up Jakob and Adrienne took Joey’s hand.
“Do you want me to stay?” Katie asked as her and Kaylee were about to leave. “I could drop Kaylee off at home and I could sleep in the guest room or something,” she said. Sami shook her head.

“No…its alright. James is probably worried sick about you.” Katie nodded.

“Call me if you need me. I don’t care what time it is,” Katie said as she hugged her. As Katie left, Billie and Adrienne came over to Sami to say there goodbyes.

“He won’t come back, you’ll be ok,” Adrienne said in a soothing voice. Sami nodded as she gave her a hug.

“I hope so,” she said. Adrienne walked out the door with Joey and Jakob. Billie stood next to Sami. She gave him another hug. “Thank you,” she whispered. Billie shook his head. “I was so scared. You saved us. All of us,” she said.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll always be here for you,” he said giving her one last squeeze. In that moment, Sami knew how lucky she was to have a friend like Billie.