Backstage

Chapter 23

Sami got ready for her date with Curtis in a half hour. She was just going to the movies.

‘God,’ Sami thought ‘I haven’t been on a movie date since I was twenty years old.’ She looked at herself in the mirror. The phone rang. Sami dashed to it before the fourth ring.

“Hello?”

“ADRIENNE ISN’T HOME!” the voice yelled into the receiver. Sami laughed.

“Billie, yes she is, I just called her two minutes ago. You changed your number, remember? Because those teenage girls kept calling you?”

There was silence on the other side.

“Why are you smarter than me?!” Billie said with a fake sob.

“Because I’m a girl,” Sami responded.

“Ooo that was cold,” Billie said with a laugh.

“Yeah I know it was. How’s the drive?” Sami asked as she walked over to the mirror to check herself out again. Curtis wasn’t going to be there for another 30 minutes but she decided to get ready early than be late.

“Tre’s asleep and Mike’s…thinking about stuff I guess…” Billie said. “So, what are you up to?” Billie asked.

“Getting ready for Curtis,” she said.

“Oh…” Billie said sounding slightly disappointed.

“What?” she said confused by his tone.

“I…I dunno.,” he said sounding uncomfortable. “I guess…you’re really close to me. As a FRIEND I mean…I just…don’t want you to get hurt again…” he trailed off. Sami sat down on the couch.

“He’s different, Billie. And this is only our first date. I’m not going to go out and marry him,” Sami said. Billie was quiet on the other side.

“Yeah…yeah I know. Well…I have to call Adie now. Talk to you tomorrow.” Sami nodded.

“Yeah, have fun on tour,” she said. Sami hung up the phone and sighed. Her best friend was gone and it was going to be five months until she saw him again.

*DING DONG*

Curtis was here.

‘Time to act happy,’ Sami thought. She gave one last sigh, put on a smile and opened the door.

*2 weeks and 4 days later*

“You want me to come?!” Sami said confused and excited.

“Yeah. Billie, Mike and Tre want you Nikky and Katie to come. They miss you guys a lot,” Adrienne said with a smile.

“Adie I love you,” Sami said giving her a hug. Sami had come over to pick up Scott, he had slept over with Jakob. They were inseparable now.

“We leave in two days, call Katie and Nikky and tell them that they have to come. You can bring Scott too, I think Jakob will have a lot of fun with him there,” Adrienne said returning the hug.

“Ok, so I’ll call then tonight. I can’t wait to see them again,” Sami said unable to hide her excitement. Adrienne nodded.

“Yeah, I mean it’s fun having an all girls Friday night…but it’s not the same without them, is it?”

Sami laughed. “Yeah, its not the same watching a scary movie with out Tre screaming like a little girl when something pops out.” Adrienne laughed.

“That’s for sure.” Scott ran up to Sami with his sleeping bag and pajamas in his little Power Rangers backpack.

“MOMMY WE’RE GOING TO SEE BILLIE AND TRE AND MIKE AND MICKEY!” he yelled as he grabbed onto Sami’s leg. “And Jakob is going to come too!” he said jumping up and down.

“I think Scott’s a little bit excited,” Sami said sarcastically as she picked him up.

“You think?” Adrienne said laughing. Sami laughed.

“Ready to go home buddy?” Sami asked Scott. He nodded.

“BYE JAKOB!” he yelled as Jakob came running out, still in his pajamas.

“BYE SCOTT!” he yelled back. Scott laughed.

“Bye Adie, thanks again!” she said giving her a hug.

“No problem. See you in two days!” she said. Scott and Sami waved to them as they walked into the car.

*2 days later*

“Aww, you mean five days with out you?” Curtis said. He stopped by because he heard that Sami wasn’t coming to work for six days. He put his head in his hands and made a fake sob. Sami laughed at him.

“Baby,” she said giving him a hug.

“Well, have fun. I’ll be recording Exorcist’s new album,” he said scrunching his nose up. “They’re not very good,” he whispered.

“I know,” she whispered back. He laughed.

“Alright. Where’s Scott?” Curtis asked. As if on cue, Scott came running down the stairs in a Green Day shirt.

“Where did you get that?” Sami said. Curtis and her were laughing their heads off.

“Jakob gave it to me,” Scott said smiling. It said American Idiot and had the hand grenade logo on the front. “It's cool!” Scott stated as he ran into his mom’s arms.

“Oh yeah, it rocks,” she said picking him up and setting him on her hip.

“Hey slugger,” Curtis said ruffling Scotts hair. Scott scowled.

“Hello,” he mumbled just trying to be polite. Even at six years and nine months, he still hated being called slugger and absolutely hated people touching his hair. But, his mom was happy with this guy, so Scott was always nice.

“Mommy, are we going to go soon?” Scott asked sweetly.

“Yeah, we’re going to lave right now. I have the bags in the car and everything,” she said kissing him on the head. Scott smiled.

“Alright, I’m gonna head back down to the studio. Have fun,” Curtis said. He kissed Sami on the cheek and left. Sami smiled and waved as she watched him drive away. Scott scrunched his nose in disappoval as the stranger walked away.

“Come on Mommy!” Scott said excitedly as he squirmed from her grip. She dropped him and he sprinted to the car. Sami locked to door, turned off the lights and grabbed her purse.

“Ready?” she asked Scott as he buckled himself in. He nodded vigorously. “Ok, lets go!” Sami said. She started the car and they headed down to the Armstrong house.