Backstage

Chapter 29

Sami stared at Jason with a huge smile on her face. They wanted Whiplash to come on!

“Wow,” Sami breathed. The lights went out and the crowd screamed.

“Go!” someone said to her. Sami nodded and turned to walk away.

She couldn’t see anything, didn’t know if she was gong to right way and she ran into three people. Sami thought she had made it onto the stage until someone grabbed her shoulders. She couldn’t see who it was…all she knew was that they kissed her. And not just a little kiss, but a kiss kiss. After a few seconds, whoever it was pulled away, she felt herself being pushed onto the stage.

Sami stood at the microphone after a few seconds of searching the dark stage. She pulled a pick off of the microphone stand and made sure her fingers were right. The whole time, all she could think of was, ‘Who was that? Oh my God, who did that? Oh no…Was it Billie? Shit…’

When she snapped out of her thoughts, she found that her subconscious had kicked in and she had already started the song. The lights weren’t on yet. Then one beam came down and lit up only Sami’s area, for she was playing the beginning alone. She started to sing. The crowd went crazy. She smiled at a girl that looked about fourteen years old. She was with a man that looked so familiar.

‘Can’t think…Have to concentrate on song.’ She thought. Nikky came on the drums and Katie on the bass. Sami felt so good, it was just like before.

Twenty five minutes later, Whiplash was almost ready to go off stage…not yet though.

“Ok, wow, you guys are an awesome audience. I want to thank Green Day for letting us play here tonight,” she shot a glance at the side stage entrance and saw Adie standing there. Sami gave her a smile. “And! For letting us play one of their older songs.” The crowd went absolutely crazy. “I hope you guys like this one. It’s called F.O.D,” Sami smiled to the crowd.

“Something's on my mind
It's been for quite some time
This time I'm on to you
So where's the other face?
The face I heard before
Your head trip's boring me “


Whiplash played F.O.D and the crowd sang along. At the end of the song, Sami took a bow and held her guitar up in the air as she ran off stage. The lights turned back on and the crowd began talking amongst themselves. Sami stood, silhouetted in the entrance, hidden enough so no fans could se. She stared at the stage. It had felt like a dream. She looked back and could barely remember being there and could barely believe that she was. But she knew she had. Sami had sang again, had played her guitar in front of a crowd again. Her fans loved them again. Sami felt arms around her and immediately was snapped back to the kiss before the show. Sami spun around only to face Nikky.

“We did it! Oh my God! Did you see the crowd? They were singing to our songs, just like old times! Wow…” Nikky said looking stunned. Sami swallowed and nodded. Her heart was beating fast as she began to try and soft out who had done it.

‘Just because Billie’s my friend doesn’t mean that he did it,’ Sami thought. ‘I mean, Mike and Tre are my friends too…’ Sami groaned and shook her head.

“You ok?” Nikky asked. “Wha-Oh…Oh yeah. I’m fine. Just…can’t believe we did that again! It was so great! I mean…the crowd and the excitement!” Sami said smiling again. Katie came running up to both of them and grabbed them in a huge hug. They stood together until someone came and wrapped their arms around Nikky.

“Tre, we are having a group moment here,” Nikky said laughing.

“I just wanted to be part of the group,” Tre said with a pout as he walked away.

“Hey, good job guys!” Billie said as he walked over. Sami felt a wave of fear sweep over her. She didn’t know what to do. She couldn’t just walk away. Nikky and Katie would definitely know that something was wrong. So Sami just smiled weakly and nodded.

“We were, weren’t we?!” Nikky said as she jumped up and down. Katie ran into Billie arms and gave him a hug.

“Thank you so much. It was so fun!” she said. Billie laughed and hugged her back.

“You’re welcome. But it wasn’t just me, Tre and Mike did it too,” he said. Katie let go of Billie and made a bee-line for Mike. She jumped on his back and tackled him.

“Oh JESUS!” he called in surprise as he almost fell over.

“THANK YOU THANK YOU!” she yelled. Nikky laughed at them.

“Ok, I made Tre sad so I have to go apologize. Be back in a few,” she said as she ran farther back stage. Sami smiled at her as she ran away.

“How’s the crowd?” Billie said with a smile.

“Good,” she mumbled. “There’s some guy in front that looks really familiar,” she said as she tried to walk away.

“Sami...you ok?” Billie asked as he placed his hand on her shoulder. She jumped a little. “What’s wrong?” Billie asked, looking concerned.

“Nothing…nothing. Just tired,” she lied. Billie nodded slowly and let her walk away. As she was walking, she remembered the man in the audience. ‘God, he looked so familiar,’ Sami thought angrily. Then, it came to her. It was the guy from the boat docking area.

“Billie!” she said. She spun around and faced him. Billie looked at her confused. “That guy…from the boat place, he’s here,” she said excitedly. Billie looked at her.

“A few seconds ago you were all freaked out, what the hell!?” he said.

“Nothing! But, that guy, he’s here! I bet that was his niece with him!” Sami said. Billie looked so confused.

“Mr. Armstrong?” someone said from behind him. Billie turned around and was handed a light blue guitar, with stickers covering it. In red, the letters BJ stood bolded out against the white background. “You’re on in five minutes,” he said. Billie took the guitar and nodded.

“Ok, thanks.” The guy walked away and Billie slipped the guitar around his shoulder. “You and me, we need to talk after the show. And you are going to tell me why you’re being so weird,” he said taking her face in his hand. “You’re one of my best friends, I can’t be happy unless you’re happy,” he said with a smile. Sami smiled at him, but on the inside, she was terrified.