Backstage

Chapter 33

Two Days Later

“So…this is it? Really? Four months left until we see you again?” Sami asked Billie as she attempted to zip her and Scott’s suitcase shut. Billie nodded.

“I know, it sucks,” he said. Adrienne walked in.

“Adrienne, I don’t want you to go,” Billie said as he grabbed Adrienne and wouldn’t let her go.

“I know, I don’t want to go either, babe. But I can’t stay here forever and you have to go to Arizona,” she said holding him. Billie sighed.

“Yeah I know. Where’s Joey and Jakob?” he asked.

“In the other room, probably jumping on the bed,” she said with a smile.

“Alright, I should go say good bye,” Billie said sadly. “And join them on the bed.”

Adrienne laughed at him as he walked out of the room. She looked over at Sami who was standing on the suitcase to get it closed. She laughed and helped her close it. “Thanks, Adrienne,” Sami said as she sat on the suitcase.

“No problem.”

Adrienne sighed and flopped down on the bed.

“This sucks. I hate it when he’s gone,” she said sadly.

“We can hate it when they’re gone together,” Sami said as she put an arm around her shoulder. Laughter could be heard through the wall leading to Adrienne and Billie’s room. “Oh God, someone is either gonna a) Kill them self or b) Kill Billie,” Adrienne said. There was a thud and an “OW!” followed by the children’s laughter.

“I’m thinking B,” Sami said. Adrienne laughed and nodded.

“Let’s go make sure we don’t have to call a hospital,” she said as she stood up and walked over to the door. Sami followed.

“Billie Joe Armstrong! Put them down!” Adrienne laughed.
“What?” Billie said. He was holding Scott and Jakob upside down by their ankles. Joey was on his shoulders with Kaylee falling off the bed in laughter, watching. Jakob and Scott were laughing and Joey was holding onto his Dad’s hair to keep from falling off. All of this was done on top of the bed.

“Why were we not invited to this wonderful party?” Tre said as he, Mike, Nikky and Katie walked up to the door. They looked in and saw the boys clinging to Billie.

“Hey look! Billie’s a Christmas tree! And Joey’s the star!” Mike said. Joey laughed and jumped off his Dad’s shoulders onto the bed. He walked over to his mom with Kaylee.

“Dad! Let us go!” Jakob laughed.

“Ok,” Billie said. He let go of their ankles so they plopped down on the bed. Scott and Jakob laughed harder.

“Ok clowns, we need to go,” Adrienne said.

“Aww. I don’t want to leave,” Jakob said as he jumped on Billie’s back as he got off of the bed.

“Don’t worry Jakob, I’ll be back soon. And you’ll see me when I do the San Francisco show, remember?” he said taking Jakob off of his back and looking him in the eye. Jakob nodded sadly but didn’t cry this time. He hugged Billie.

“Love you Daddy,” he said.

“Love you too,” Billie said as he walked out the door.

The Airport

Sami, Scott, Nikky, Katie, Kaylee, Adrienne, Jakob and Joey all walked together through the airport with a well covered up Mike, Tre and Billie. As they walked, Billie’s mind buzzed.

“What? Did she want it to be you?”

Billie shook his head, trying to make the words go away.

“So…”
“So what?”
“Did you want it to be me?”


‘Knock it off,’ he told himself as he adjusted the baseball cap on the top of his head.

‘But she never gave you a straight answer…and I mean look at her…she’s gorgeous. She always has been-’

‘Go away!’ Billie’s mind screamed.

They reached the roped area where un-ticketed guest could not pass. Adrienne gave Billie a hug and a kiss and then gave hugs to Mike and Tre. Joey and Jakob gave their dad, Tre and Mike hugs. Nikky, Katie and Sami followed. As Billie was saying his good byes to Sami, he couldn’t knock the feeling. He had to ask.

“Before you go,” Billie said quietly to Sami. ‘I’m an idiot for asking this. Of course she didn’t…no…it’s not possible.’ Sami stared at him as Billie fought for words. “Uh…That kiss thing…before the concert. Did you want it to be me?” he asked.

Sami smiled.

“Bye Billie, see you in four months.” And with that, she left them standing in the airport as Billie’s mind was turned upside-down.