Backstage

Chapter 4

Billie took Sami to the movies. It was some crappy movie that neither of them really wanted to see, but it was the only thing playing at 11:00. They didn’t mind though. They didn’t pay much attention to the movie anyway. They spend most of it holding hand or talking (there was no one else in the theater). During the middle of the movie, it got so boring that Sami fell asleep on Billie’s shoulder

*Billie’s point of view*

Crap, what am I going to do? I don’t want to wake her up, she looks so cute when she’s asleep. Shoot, my arm’s falling asleep and the movie’s going to be over in 2 seconds. I guess I’m just going to have to wake her up. Or….

*Out of Billie’s point of view*

Billie picked up Sami and carried her out of the theater. It was a lot easier than he thought for her hands were already around his neck.

“She’s not heavy at all,” Billie said to himself as he walked out into the parking lot.

“Actually I am. You’re just too strong for your own good,” Sami said groggily. Billie looked down on her and laughed.

“How long have you been awake?” he asked.

“Ever since you tripped on that step,” Sami said with a smile. “I think you can drop me now, God gave me legs for a reason.” Billie set Sami down but still held onto her hand. They didn’t have a car so they walked back to the arena. Most of the time they were laughing about how lame the movie was.

When they got back to the theater, Mike, Tre, Katie and Nikky were already there.

“Jeez, where have you guys been?” Mike asked.

“What do you mean?” Sami asked. Billie looked up at the clock. It was 1:47. Busted! Billie covered for both of them.

“Its not a very fun walk from the movie theater,” he said as he gazed over in Tre’s direction, for he had taken the car. Tre looked away sheepishly. Mike yawned.

“We should probably go,” he said. Billie and Tre nodded.

“Come on, let’s head out,” Katie yawned a few minutes later as she pulled the keys to their van out of her pocket. Nikky and Sami nodded and began to pack up their stuff.

The girls walked out to their van. It was an old Volkswagen van that they had cleared of back seats. Instead, two make shift beds and a couch were packed into the used-to-be empty space. Katie jumped into the driver’s seat after setting her bass under the couch. Sami and Nikky jumped into the back and both flopped onto the couch. Sami slammed the sliding door closed and sat in the dark while Katie rummaged her pockets for the keys.

Sami was a little bummed about never seeing Billie again so she turned to the one thing that calmed her down: her guitar. After a few minutes of rummaging around in the dark trying to find it, her hand hit the hard plastic of her Fender’s case. She slid the strap around her neck and reached into her jeans pocket for her pick. What she pulled out was a piece of paper. It looked blank so she walked over to the plastic trash can to throw it away while Katie could be heard swearing as she searched every pocket for the keys.

“What’s that?” Nikky asked from the couch. Sami shrugged.

“Paper.”

“What’s on the back?” Nikky asked curiously. Katie had stopped her swearing and was now paying attention to what was going on in the back. Sami flipped the paper over. A number was written on the back with the words, ‘Call Me –BJ.’ Sami looked up at Katie and Nikky and stuffed the paper back in her pocket.

“What was it?” Katie asked. Sami mumbled

“Number,” so that it was barely audible to anyone but herself. But Katie, having ears like a dog, heard it perfectly.

“You got his number! How cool! Call him!” she demanded.

“No! I don’t want to sound like I like him too much, I mean, I just met him today!” Sami said trying to get out of it. Too bad Nikky and Katie were two people against one and they were also taller and stronger than Sami was. They had her pinned down and the number out of her pocket in seconds flat. Sami was protesting the whole time.

“I’ll call him tomorrow, I swear!” she tried. But they heard none of it. Katie had Sami pinned to the floor of the beat up van and Nikky was already dialing Billie’s number on Sami’s phone.

“Guys, really! I don’t need to call him! It’s too late!” Nikky had the phone pressed up against her ear. Sami could hear it ringing.

“Guys please!”

RIIIIING…..

“Come on!”

RIIIIING….

“Don’t make me do this! He’s gonna think I’m…”

CLICK

“Hello?”

“Hi.”