Backstage

Chapter 8

“Scott, go up stairs and do your homework, ok honey?” Sami told her 6 year old son, Scott.

“Ok mommy,” he said as he got out of the car, carrying his Power Ranger back pack. Sami walked into the house and picked up the mail. She set her purse and the mail on the counter.

“Max?” she called. Max was her husband, her husband her worked all day that she barely saw. But there was always hope, right? Wrong! Max was not home, just like every day.

Let’s do a recap on Sami’s life, shall we? Well, the reason for the calls stopping? Max and Adrienne were the reasons. Billie and Sami had both met the person of their dreams. The calls had stopped because their lives had started. Sami couldn’t say that she wasn’t a little disappointed that they stayed in touch. She couldn’t turn on the radio or the TV with out hearing or seeing all of them. But she missed them for another reason. Billie was always there to make her laugh, Max was barely ever there. Any way back to Sami’s before life. Her band with Nikky and Katie had stopped in the year 2000. They were never destined to make it big, they just loved what they did. They still played music, but weren’t on a huge record, they played for fun.
Sami, Nikky and Katie now had jobs as co-producers in a small music label. She loved being around music 24-7 and the job paid well, so her job was perfect.
Well…almost perfect. She missed being able to play the music. But they had never sold enough and it was starting to take over their lives. So, a music label was the next best thing.

Sami took a raw chicken out of the refrigerator. She stuck it in the microwave and set it to defrost.

“Mom?” Scott called as he walked down the stairs. Sami looked up and smiled. He had a pokemon folder in his hand. “I need help with my homework,” he said as he walked over to her.

“Okie dokie, come on. Let’s go to the table,” Sami said with a smile as she picked Scott up. He laughed. “What do you need help with?” Sami asked. Scott scrunched up his nose.

“Subtraction,” he said.

“Ok, let’s see what you have to do,” Sami said. It took a few minutes for Scott to get the hang of it and he was soon done and proud of his work.

“Thank you mommy,” he said as he gave her a hug.

“You’re welcome sweetheart,” she said as she hugged him back. “Hey!” Sami said as she picked him up again. “Are you gonna have fun camping with Daddy on Friday?” Sami asked Scott. He broke into a huge smile.

“Yes!” he said excitedly. Sami gave him a kiss and sent him back up stairs.

Sami went back into the kitchen. The chicken was still defrosting, so she checked the mail. Bill…Bill…Party invitation for Scott…Bill….wait…that didn’t say Scott. Sami picked the invitation up again and read it. The envelope said, “To Sami Johnson.” But, that was her maiden name. Oh, well. Old friend getting married? She ripped open the envelope and pulled it out.
“You are invited to the Time of Our Lives Party,” she read out loud. “Catchy name,” she said to herself with a laugh. She read on. Address. Time Date. Not formal. RSVP. Standard stuff. She looked to see who it was from.

Adrienne and Billie Joe Armstrong.

Sami read it again. Billie? Wow, she hadn’t heard from him in almost 14 years and suddenly a party?

“I wonder…” Sami said out loud. She reached over to grab the phone. Before she turned it on, it rang. Sami answered it. “Hello?” she said.

“Did you get the invitation?”
It was Nikky.

“Yeah I…I did. I was just about to call you and ask you the same thing,” Sami said still in disbelief.

“Are you going to go?” Nikky asked. Sami picked up the invitation and looked at the date. It was this Saturday. Max was going to be out camping.

“Max is going to be gone,” Sami said.

“So? He’s always gone,” Nikky said. Sami laughed. She looked at the time. 6:30-11:00. She checked her calendar. No one was coming in to record anything. She was completely empty that day.

“Are you going to go?” Sami asked not able to hide her excitement.

“Hell yes!” Nikky said. Sami smiled. Nikky was married as well to a really nice guy who was always home named John.

“You can’t wait to see Billie again, can’t you?” Nikky asked slyly.

“Nikky! I’m married! He’s married! We are both very happy with our lives!” Sami said sternly.
“Well…actually last time I talked to him he was engaged and Tre was dating that one girl. I dunno what happened with that.”

“Ug. Don’t remind me about the Tre thing. Before I met John, I had the biggest crush on him,” Nikky mumbled. Sami sniggered.

“Oh yes. I remember that. To bring up an old memory, I believe your 16 year old self and one 19 year old Tre Cool were caught making out during a ‘drum lesson’ the day we met them.”

“Oh God, I was a horrible little hormonal teenager. But I believe that you were with a certain someone when you found me. And I believe you and this certain someone dated long distance for about a month. Would you agree?” Nikky teased. Sami rolled her eyes.

“You’re evil.”

“But fair,” Nikky said with a slight laugh.

*BEEP*

Sami turned around. The chicken was done. “Nikky, I have to start cooking dinner. I’ll call you later, ok?” Sami asked.

“Alright, Katie will probably call you later,” Nikky said.

“Alright bye,” Sami said. She hung up. Even though Sami was happy with her life, she couldn’t help but be excited about seeing Billie again. She smiled and hoped that Saturday would come as soon as possible.