Love Like Summer

Shiny Cars and Pansies

The rest of that day, Frank lolled about his suddenly too-small apartment, waiting for his phone to ring. He blocked out every negative comment Beatrice and Martian threw at him, trying to concentrate on his guitar and working on a new song. Practice proved useless, though; his hands were shaking too badly to play the proper notes.

About an hour or so into Frank's desperate attempt at perfecting his instrument (and re-restringing his guitar, thankful for the practice he had gotten earlier, killing two birds with one stone) the phone rang. Frank couldn't pick it up quickly enough.

"Hello Iero Residence this is Frank speaking how may I help you?" A chuckle -- light in the sense of not being heavy, and dark -- was the only response he needed. "Oh, shut up, Way."

"Been waiting for a phone call or something?" Gerard responded, laughter still accenting his voice.

"Yea, well...." Frank muttered, absent mindedly clearing his throat.

"I got our silly house all cleaned up." Gerard went on, trying to dodge any trace of the awk-word. "It's all....shiny now. Kind of like a new car...you don't have a car, do you?"

"Well, no. I'm in walking distance to everything--"

"Not the Way home." The older boy's voice was suddenly sad, but he went on. "We should get you a car one day. Not now, obviously. When I get a better job and you get a job, and I sell Mikey, we can put our money together and buy you a nice, new Volvo; you can be the owner of a nice, shiny Volvo!" He sounded enthusiastic and very happy; Frank couldn't help but giggle.

"I'm fine with walking for now. And we can't get me a nice new Volvo until we get you something nice -- maybe some silly little Honda deal." The younger felt significantly inferior when he tried to keep the ball rolling on buying each other cars; as a result, he changed the subject. "So, did you call to try and sell me a car or ask me out?"

The words were out faster then either could comprehend them. Gerard was hesitant in answering. "...Well, you're quite the bold beaver this evening." Frank laughed softly in response. "I was actually going to volunteer to take your guitar to get fixed--"

"I fixed it already. Thanks, though." Frank said quickly. Now he felt bad; he just made Gerard put himself out there and immediately shot him down. What the fuck?! "But, I could use some more strings....and,look--" a sound like dying music was all Gerard could hear -- "I broke a string, and am to lazy to fix it myself!" The older boy laughed loudly in response, causing Frank's heart to soar.

"Well, if you insist. I'd like to take you to this silly little instrument shop -- conveniently located next to this quaint little pizza parlor. Would you like after we fix your guitar, to join me for some Italian pizza and quite possibly a stop to grab some ice cream?"

"Uhm, sure, why not? I'd love to." Frank replied, knowing in the back of his mind that he would probably not be able to keep all that fatty food down.

"Great, great, amazing -- very nice. Okay, uhm...I guess, be outside your apartment or whatever with your broke-ass guitar in thirty minutes or less, okay? I'll be there. Okay?"

"Alright, Gerard." Frank replied, laughing lightly. "I'll see you then."

"Okay. Great. I'll see you. Thirty minutes, remember. Alright. Bye." Gerard rambled his good-bye before hanging up clumsily, finding his brother standing in the doorway to Gerard's room "How long have you been there, little Way?!"

"...I watch you sometimes." The younger Way said sneakily, causing the older's eyes to widen. "You've got a hot date with the out-boy!"

"Shut up, little Way. It isn't a date. I'm taking him to get his guitar fixed, and then we're gonna grab a bite to eat -- ice cream is optional. If he isn;t good, he doesn't get it." Gerard replied flatly. He wasn't yet ready to tell his brother the truth; no matter how obvious it was.

"Oh, you love him, don't you?!" Mikey cried, laughing then at the notion, turning from his brother with a hand on his stomach, the other on his leg. "You are so in love with Frank-face!"

"I am not in love with anyone." Gerard responded, just as flatly. "Now, if you'd excuse me, I have to go pick up the boy. It's not a date, but...don't wait up."

Nearly forty minutes later, Frank spotted Gerard's car racing down the street.

"Sorry, Frank!" Gerard called out the window. Frank shrugged, smiling, putting his plain white guitar in the back seat before getting in himself. "Mikey was kind of questioning me, and then I got stuff on my shirt, and -- "

"It's alright, Gee, don't worry about it." Frank interrupted. He began to play with the radio, trying to find a song he liked, when The Smashing Pumpkin's Today came on. "Oh, my God; how incredible."

"You ain't kiddin'." Gerard muttered, just low enough that Frank didn't hear him. The older turned the volume up, as a precaution. "So, you want to drop off your Pansy-ass guitar and then we'll get some food and it'll be done when we get back, or -- "

"Sounds perfect!" Frank interrupted. Gerard was slightly taken aback by the previously self-conscience boy's boldness. "I'm sorry. I tend to not have many manners when I'm nervous."

Gerard's eyes lit up. "So I make you nervous, eh?"

"No, that'd not what I mean. I mean, you do -- not like, in some creepy teenie-bopper way or anything, I mean -- everyone makes me nervous - not saying I don't have any manners, I just -- I-I mean -- "

"Damn, Frank!" Gerard cried, smiling at the rambling boy. "It's okay, I think I get it. So...what were you doing before I called you?"

"Wondering about. Playing that thing back there -- how'd you get my number?!"

"Simple. I checked the phone book." Gerard replied, matter-o-factly. Frank rolled his eyes, but kept a smile on his face.

Soon, the couple was parked outside of Jim's Music and Holy Land Pizza. Both boys looked about, puzzled.

"The music store looks fine but -- Greek pizza?" Frank commented. Gerard began to laugh loudly again. "What?!"

"Jerusalem is the Holy Land - it's Jewish. Not Greek." He began to make his way into Jim's Music, stopping when he noticed Frank following him. "Do you mind getting us a seat while I take your stupid guitar in? I won't be but a minute." Frank nodded, walking towards Holy Land Pizza.

"Yea, see you in half an hour." Frank taunted, grinning cheekily at the older before ducking into the Jewish pizza parlor. "Oh, it's going to be a long night...."

The boys talked during dinner -- finding out a little more about each other, but not too much -- and realized they thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. By the time the boys were done, Frank was so distracted by the fun he was having o consider purging again. It hadn't become a problem, it's after all; not like it ever would, right?

"I have a little surprise for you..." Gerard mentioned softly, standing outside of Jim's Music. The older longed to grab Frank's hand -- to hold him close in the warm air -- but knew it would be a mistake. He fought the urge as hard as he could, but still brushed his hand against Frank's on the way into the small shop.

"Ah, Gerard, back already?" A short, gray haired man behind the counter exclaimed. "Hi, I'm Kevin -- owner of Jim's Music. Kinda funny, isn't it? Well, old Jim left me the shop when he left - he's my brother, by the way -- moved to 'Frisco. He with you, Gerard?"

"That he is." Gerard replied. "Of, Frank, this is my old guitar teacher, Kevin Greenfield. He's one of the greatest guys in the world, I swear to God. Kev, this is my buddy Frank -- who is the greatest kid I know. Do you have his guitar?"

"Sure thing I do!" Kevin replied, puling out a white guitar that was suppose to be Frank's but couldn't be - this one was decorated. "I put a bunch of new strings on it myself, and gave you a new pack or two. Oh, I also but this cool sticker-thing on it -- see? Gerard said something about your guitar being Pansy, or something, so...."

"You named my guitar?" Frank asked, beaming with excitement. Gerard nodded slowly, not quite confident in Frank's response. "Oh my God, I love it!"The younger exclaimed, taking the guitar in his hands and pulling it close to his chest. "Oh, thanks,thanks so much, Mr. Greenfield -- thanks, Gerard, so much -- you didn't have to do this, you know."

"I did too." Gerard argued, voice even and firm. "I owe you." The way the older said it told the other boy that he'd like to replace the middle word with another -- but not there; obviously. I love you. The older thought, trying not to let his demeanor change.

"Thanks again, so much...I'm exhausted; didn't sleep at all last night. Do you mind if you drive me home, Ger?" Frank said childishly, itching to be alone with the other. Gerard nodded, and their exodus was a blur.

"You really didn't have to do that." Frank argued once the two were parked outside of Frank's apartment. Gerard raised his hand to Frank, motioning for him to stop.

"Shut up and accept the stupid gift. I owe you, so very much.... you have no idea. Shall I walk you to the door, or -- "

"I'm a big boy." Frank interrupted. Gerard's face fell, but he tried to smile. "I don't want the neighbors to see me say good-night to you."

With that, Frank pushed Gerard against his seat and attacked his lips with his, trying to be sensual and forceful all in one. When they parted, Gerard's hand on the back of Frank's neck, the other keeping hold of his shirt, they started at each other for an extra moment before speaking; "I should go."
"You should go."
in unison, then laughing casually.

"Goodnight, Frank. Sleep tight. I'll try and call you tomorrow or something...okay? Maybe I'll just stop by, or....

"I'd like that." Frank said softly, giving the other a sweet smile. "Goodnight, Gerard."

I love you too.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took so long to get up, I'm so sorry everyone. Hppefully I'll get some new readers and the old ones will come back? I still have some great ideas for this....