It's Not As Easy As It Looks

Countdown

Guest rooms are always different, no matter which one you slept in, you’d never find another one like it – and with Billie’s this was definitely the case. The walls were covered in old floral wallpaper, with an ugly green plush carpet to go with it. Honestly, this room was outdated with the rest of the house.

I couldn’t complain though, I mean, I could have just gone home, but instead I decided to bunk here for the night. I don’t know why… I guess I just wanted to spend more time here.

It was early morning, or well, I presumed it was as a crack of light peeked out from behind dark pink curtains. I lifted myself off of the hard bed and pushed back the curtain; I peered out the window and squinted. Yep. Definitely morning. I could tell by the green blobs appearing over my vision from how bright it was outside.

I reached down under the bed to grab my overnight bag, rummaging through it for clothes to change into. I opened the door to the hallway ever so slowly, and then crept down into Billie’s bathroom. Luckily everyone seemed to be in bed, so I got changed and did myself up a little.

Working my way downstairs my nose with hit with a smell of bacon and pure grease, so I walked into the kitchen to see everyone gathered around the kitchen island, talking, but as soon as they felt another presence in the room everyone turned to look at me.

“Morning… or should I say afternoon,” Billie smirked at me, cringing I turned to look at the chrome clock hanging on the white walls.

12:23pm

I muttered a few incoherent words to myself, and then turned a deep shade of red; Billie took notice of this and giggled, serving up a plate of… filth… for me. But, as I am the best guest in the world, I sat down at the kitchen island and ate it.

“So, get a good night sleep?” Billie asked, whilst I was in mid-chew.

I managed to finish chewing and smiled. “Mhm,” I murmured, not wanting to show a big mouthful of food. I wiped my mouth and continued to eat.

“Anyone would think I were starving you,” Billie joked, which caused me to frown, and feel like a total pig. I stopped eating and stood up.

“Uh… I should get home and feed Miles.”

Billie nodded and got his car keys off of the side, I followed him to his car where I got in the front passenger seat. It was quite surreal to be sitting his car, and I didn’t know why. I guess I just never expected this just from a photography job…

***

"Okay, thanks for having me!" I called out and watched Billie drive off, giving me a short wave and a smile, I closed the door and turned around to see Miles curled up on my couch; I smiled at how peaceful she looked. There was a loud bang from above me, I quirked an eyebrow and muttered one word.

'Morgan'

I walked upstairs and stared at her and the suitcase that had fallen on the floor.

"What the hell?" I asked, wondering why she was in my home… and how on Earth she got in.

“I got a spare key… and… I erm… can I bunk here for a days…weeks… forever?” She said, fidgeting nervously on the spot.

I stared dumbfoundly at her, my mouth rudely agape. “I… er… aren’t you supposed to be in university?”

“I am… Oakland University… it’s just… er… I hate my roommate,” She replied with, nervously. I shifted my weight onto my left leg and just stared at her. “So… can I?”

Is it even legal?

Her face fell after awhile of silence, thinking I was going to say no. I mean, she waskind of a stranger. But… she was asking for help. I sighed and nodded slowly, and as soon as I did Morgan ran over and hugged me to death.

When she pulled out of the hug, all of her face was creased into a smile. “So… where am I sleeping?”

***

New Years Eve, and I was being dragged to a New Year’s party at some over-priced and stupidly gorgeous penthouse. Whoever owned this had style.

Morgan and I were casually just chilling by sitting on the beanbags on the floor—I say chilling, what I mean was I sat down half an hour ago and now I’m stuck.

Tré looked down at me and smiled, flopping down on the green beanbag next to me and making a whooshing sound. “So,” He started with, adjusting himself on the beanbag.

“So,” I said, giggling, sinking further into the bag. I swear I was going to get eaten and never seen ever again. I sipped on my Long Island iced tea and watched people pass, I turned to face Tré again who was still grinning.

“Do you want come with me to the Grammys?” He said, as soon as he did I spat out my ice tea all over him, turning a very deep shade of red with embarrassment I threw my hands over my face.

“I-I’m so sorry, Tré!” I said, getting a tissue from my pocket and handing it to him to wipe the ice tea up. I tried to get up to run away but I was stuck in the beanbag.

“Is that a no?”

“N-No!” I replied with. “I was just so shocked… I’d love to go… but… with you? What… what about Stevie?”

Tré looked down into his glass and then back up to me. “She doesn’t want to go, hates the photographers.”

Later on that evening, after I had introduced myself to just about everyone, including Billie Joe’s plus one named Violet, I was sat at the table, picking at the Doritos like a pig.

Stevie was right not to want to go, I mean, there’s lots of photographers; meaning lots of pictures… of me… and I’m really anti-photogenic. Also, what if they saw me as Tré’s new girlfriend? That wouldn’t help all this previous tension we’ve had in this friendship.

I sighed and shoved another chip into my mouth. “I didn’t think you were one for eating,” I heard someone say. I turned my head and jumped a little to see Billie there. I frowned at him and pushed him a little.

“You nearly gave me a heart attack, freak,” I said, as Billie laughed. I took another Dorito and ate it, sighing again.

Billie tilted his head and looked to me, resting his hand on my arm. “So, y’know how the Grammy’s are approaching?”

My eyes widen as I looked to him. “Y-Yeah,” I nervously stuttered.

"Do you think I should ask Violet to go?” He asked, causing me to let out a sigh of relief, I nodded and smiled in reply. “Great… I’ll ask her tonight,” Billie Joe said as he stalked off to find his girlfriend and new partner for the Grammy’s.

As I sipped on my cider, I watched the rain splatter down on the patio glass doors. I sighed and stared at the sky… there was no way in hell that this was going to stop.

"Looks like we're not going outside for this year," Mark the owner of the condo sighed loudly as he rubbed his forehead, causing everyone to moan.

"It's just a bit of rain," I cut in.

"And thunder and lightning,” He said, going to get his key. He was holding a drunken New Year’s party… and he didn’t want people to go outside in the rain? Jeez. Maybe it was my nationality or something but rain seriously does not harm ANYONE.

"Wimps," I muttered under my breath as I walked away from the group of people looking out of the glass doors, I have never known a new year's eve to be like this, normally it was dry or even snowing, but not a thunder storm, then again it was my first New Years Eve in California, maybe it was always like this.

I drew my head up to look at the wooden clock above Mark's fireplace, quarter past eight. I sighed, and couldn’t shrug off a nagging feeling that something was going to happen tonight.

A tap on the shoulder jumped me out of my thoughts as I turned around to face Mark. “Do you know where Kyle is?” He asked.

I pulled a blank face at him, and for a few seconds I lost all recollections of who I was as my brain searched to find out if I even knew a Kyle. “No, who’s Kyle?” I asked, after a short while of silence and a brain malfunction.

At nearly midnight I decided to open the patio doors and go outside, whilst I looked at everyone stuck in doors. I walked to the edge of the penthouse “garden” and stared down at the view in front of me.

And my God… it was breath taking.

I could see all of San Francisco in all of its beautiful glory, yet shrouded in a mist of fog and rain. It was spectacular.

When I heard the door clunk behind me I turned around to see the members of Green Day walking over to join me, and soon after everyone else followed. "See, none of you burst into flames,” I smiled, causing Billie to laugh, folding an arm around Violet and I. I looked to Billie, and then to Violet. It was the first time I had actually saw her, and now I could see she was really stunning, even with her makeup dripping off due to the rain.

Along came the countdown, and I looked to everyone around as they started chanting.

10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2

Goodbye old life.

1

Then all of a sudden explosions started everywhere, lighting the sky with multi colours, I smiled as I watched everyone celebrate and welcome the New Year - 2007.

"Happy new year guys!" I shouted to them, who shouted it back over the roar of the fireworks.

I watched as they crackled all over the horizon, putting my hands over my ears and slamming my eye shut at every big bang. I giggled, I was genuinely happy to lose 2006.

“Hey, and let’s hope American Idiot takes off even more!” Billie roared, lifting up his champagne fluke as the members of Green Day clunked glasses.

Soon, those glasses were empty, and filled up, and that repeated through the course of the… morning. I couldn’t walk in a straight line, or recite my ABCs.

Imagine my surprise when playing spin the bottle, only to have the bottle land on Billie Joe.

Holy. Shit.

My head shot up in a quick panic and looked to Billie, then to Violet who seemed to be away with the faeries as her eye lids opened and closed repeatedly. I bit my lip and leaned over, Billie caught on and leaned over as well, we were moments apart from kissing when I lost my balance and passed out.

Saved by the... passing out?

***

I woke up still laying on the floor next to Tré, but Violet and Billie were missing, I tried to move and stand up but Tré had a tight grip around my waist, God it did not feel right. I squeezed my way out and walked over the sleeping bodies, I sat down on Mark's couch rubbing my forehead, I had the worst headache ever and I couldn't remember much from last night, though after I passed out I’m sure that much more went on.

I decided to wake Tré and Mike up, they seemed to groan and just drift back into a slumber, I kicked both of them pretty hard and they shot up.

"What the fuck?!" Mike shouted at me.

I just shrug and sat down next to him. He rubbed his tired eyes and looked to Tré who was frowning at me intensely, which just caused me to giggle.

"You have a good kick," Tré moaned rubbing his stomach which I had just kicked. I nodded and looked on with pride like a little child who had just won a school race.

"Where's Billie and Violet?" I asked, looking to who lazily shrugged in reply, I looked to Tré who seemed to be in the middle of a flashback, he gasped and looked at me.

"What?"

"I think... I think they got married!" He exclaimed, my eyes widening more and more each second.

"Oh my God."
♠ ♠ ♠
:3 Happy very late New Years where ever you are in the world~