It's Not As Easy As It Looks

To Hell We Ride

We hadn’t seen or heard from Violet since we last saw the back of her when she was booted out of our lives. I can’t say I miss her when I hardly knew her, but a pang of guilt definitely lay in my heart.

I sat there staring at Billie as he moved a white mug to his pursed lips for yet another top up of caffeine. I giggled lightly, which caused him to tilt his head up to see what was so funny. He raised an eyebrow at me and settled down his black biro pen. “What?”

“Just,” I continued to giggle. “That’s like your eighth mug Billie,” I put a hand over my mouth and watched as Billie looked into his mug. He held it out as Mike collected it and mumbled.

“Actually, it’s my ninth,” He grinned, and picked up his pen to continue to fill out more divorce forms. I shifted in my seat and scratched an irritating itch on my arm, needless to say; I was downright bored.

My head rose up towards the door, when I saw a tired Mike walking through with a fresh brew of coffee. Laying the mug down on the table, I watched as Mike yawned, looking hungry for caffeine himself. “Here you go master.”

Billie rolled his eyes and gave me the thumbs up after he glugged down his tenth cup of coffee. I smirked at their friendship; Mike had stayed up with Billie to help with his divorce for three whole days now. Billie really wanted Violet out of his memory for good and he was rushing about doing it.

The effects of no sleep were slowing sinking into Billie’s brain, as I watched his eyelids close for around three seconds – he then proceeded to drop his pen. When I saw his head tilt down I knew it was heading for the desk, and I was right. He face planted that desk like he wanted to smother it in kisses.

Mike and I both laughed so loud that Billie woke up with a startle. He looked around with wide eyes, totally confused as to what was going on. "Where's my pen?!" He yelled, throwing rubbish everywhere and panicking, I rubbed my head and looked around the room.

I slowly looked to Mike, who did the same back, causing our laughter to start again, making poor Billie look to us totally paranoid. I looked back to Billie, my laughter dying out to a small and quiet giggle. “Use a different pen, you dope.”

Putting on a determined face, I knew he was going to argue back. "No I'm using the same pen."

I rolled my eyes at the older man. "Why?" I asked, standing up and walking over to his desk.

"It looks better," He lamely said, I groaned in reply as I watched him rush around the room which had turned into a mess.

"Just use this pen," I said taking a black biro out of my tote bag.

Billie looked over and shot me a smile. "Guess I could use another pen."

"Before you die of another panic attack," I sighed handing it to him. Billie glared at me and sat back down in is chair, I grinned at my joke as I heard Mike laughing in reply.

I glanced to the clock Billie had hung on his wall earlier on in the day to keep track of time, for a while I spaced out, before Billie’s voice brought me back. “What are you waiting for?”

“Ah,” I blinked. “I’m going for an interview today, remember? I was just figuring out if I had enough time to buy a magazine before I go in.”

“You should have if I drive you there,” He said, in such a serious tone my eyebrow quirked.

“Billie you haven’t slept in three days, why do I want you behind a wheel?” I asked, putting my hands on his desk and looking at him.

Billie just shrugged and grinned in reply, but once again, the call of sleep got to him and he face planted his desk. I went to open my mouth to say something but was interrupted by Billie’s heavy and loud snoring. “I’ll walk it.”

***

"Hmm," I browsed through the magazine's picking up two; Kerrang! And Closer, I had always loved reading people's stupid stories, so I used to read the magazines when I visited my granddad’s house.

I didn't expect America to have Closer on the shelves it must be exported because I know it's English, every time something reminded me of home I wanted February 10th to come quicker even if I hated that life, I still grew up there and if it wasn't for home, I wouldn't have excellent friends.

I walked to my job interviewer, it wasn't for the zoo fortunately, since I had photography qualifications I signed up with a team called 'Click It', who specialises in photography for nature, which was my dream job for awhile anyway. I didn't want a job, I was being lazy, but I knew to stay in my house and to stay in America I would have to get a job to pay the bills and etc.

Sitting down I set aside my tote bag and took out Closer and started to read the Real Life problems.

'Yes officer that's my vibrator! '

My eyes widened, I smiled and decided to read the article, laughing at the fact someone was so sad to tell the world that she had to identify her blue vibrator to the police, I didn't realize someone was snooping at my article till I looked up and saw someone smiling.

No.

It was that sub boss I had when I was working with Wade...

It can't be, I won't let it be

"Nice magazine," He laughed. "Hey, I remember you; I fired you on Christmas Eve, gooood times,” He cheekily said.

"Fuck off," I mumbled going back to my article, he shrugged and walked away, I sighed a sigh of relief and did a little dance inside my head that he had gone and I wouldn't be with him.

"Jennifer Walker?" Someone called out; my head shot up to see a friendly looking man holding a door open.

"That's me," I smiled as I put my magazine in my bag and threw it back over my arm; I walked up to the man and gave him a smile. He led me inside and told me to take a seat on a nice black leather chair that was opposite his.

We were separated by a beech and glass finished desk that had a nice looking flat screen monitor on it, some forms, and some sticky notes.

The man I looked up to looked around my age; he was quite tanned with dark brown hair and deep brown eyes. His face was soft, and when he smiled it seemed to light up the whole room. "So why do you think you need this job?"

"Well...” I started talking about how it had always been my dream, how I loved nature and it would be a fun job, I also talked about my last job and that I was prone to lateness, but the guy who was called Dean, didn't really seem to mind.

“When can you start?” He said cheerfully, my eyes widened immediately.

"Wait... What?! I got it?! Awesome! Thank you! I can start anytime, but I need a week off from the 10th of February.”

"Okay," Dean laughed as I walked out of the interview room and out onto the car park where I called a cab.

"Taxi!" Someone shouted, I looked around and grinned when I saw Billie in his Mini Cooper, I ran to the car and hopped in.

"City of the Damned please," I laughed as Billie nodded and started to drive.

"So...,” Billie started, concentrating on the road in front of him. "How did the interview go?"

"Terrible... I got the job," I grinned, Billie Joe looked confused for awhile before a grin spread across his face.

"That's awesome... and confusing... I'm confused,” He said, furrowing his brow. I giggled in response.

"I normally have that effect on people," I laughed. After about 15 minutes we arrived in the front of my house, I hopped outside of Billie's car and he followed me, I opened up my door to be greeted with a lovely aroma; fresh linen.

"Home sweet home," I smiled as I settled my tote bag and coat down on the floor by the door and sat down on my couch, Billie still followed me and sat down next to me, he yawned and scratched his head, looking clueless, my phone rang loudly, making both me and Billie jump out of the seat, I laughed as I picked up the phone.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, it's Morgan!" She screamed down the phone to me.

I almost had to take the phone to the other side of the room as my ears were blasted by her screechy voice. It was almost like it was on speaker phone. “Hey loud mouth,” I said in reply. “How’re you doing?”

“I’m good, just getting into the swing of things back in college,” She replied, sounding bored. “But it’s good… I love my new class buddies.”

“Who says that?” I asked, refraining from giggling. “Buddies is so nineties,” I finally let out a giggle before hearing a beeping noise on my phone – incoming call. “Sorry Morg, I have to cut you off, I’ll call you back!”

"Hello, is Jennifer Walker there?"

"Yes, I'm speaking," Billie tried to put on a girly voice and by the sounds of it, whoever was on the other end believed his little act.

"Err... OK, I found a job; it's in Portugal in Vilamoura,” I heard a man say, and judging by what he said--it was my new boss.

Billie shot up and widened his eyes. "WHAT!? Really?!" He exclaimed, looking to me as if he was just told a large comet was coming towards Earth.

"Yes, and I was wondering when you can go so I can book a plane, hotel and the transfers."

Billie gulped and hesitated to talk back, "Err, I'll pass you over too Jenni."

"But I thought that you we-," I heard my new boss say as the phone found itself in my palm. I looked at Billie who looked totally serious for once.

"Hello?" I heard Dean say, confused as hell. “Hello? What on Earth is going on?!”

I frowned and shot a look at Billie, who shied away and walked into my kitchen. "Err... a weird friend was posing as me… they’re a little… slow,” I stated, looking towards my kitchen, smiling, and then sitting down on my sofa.

“Ah,” was all I heard after a few seconds, I then heard a cough and a continuation."Okay, anyways, so I've found a photography job in Portugal, it's in Vilamoura, taking pictures of the famous dock, bustling shopping centre, the lively nightlife, etc, ever been there?"

I nodded, though I don’t know what for… the only thing to have seen me was little Miles, but he was too busy cat-napping. "Yeah, twice,” I finally said, remembering the times I went to Portugal with my dysfunctional family.

It wasn’t the typical holiday mind you—it was the same as what it was back home… just… sunnier. My mother spent her time in the kitchen, whilst my father spent his time with his alcohol.

Once we arranged how I’d get there, where I’d stay, an even an arrangement of meeting an interpreter and tour guide, I settled the phone back on its stand and stood up from my sofa. I slowly walked into the kitchen to see Billie at my kitchen island sipping on an orange juice in a tall glass.

“You owe me an orange,” I said, smirking whilst leaning against the frame of the door. “Or perhaps just a carton of orange juice,” I sat myself down opposite Billie Joe who rested his head in his palm. He tilted his head at me, looking quite glum. "…it's only for, like, a week, Billie."

"A whole week!? I can't survive without you for 5 hours let alone a week," Billie moaned and pouted.

"Well... I guess you will have to," I smiled and then looked around, drumming my fingers along the kitchen island’s marbled surface."Guess I should pack... Will you help?"

"No...,” Billie said quietly. I looked up to him—glaring. “Well I don’t want you to go!” He proclaimed, defending himself.

"Why?" I asked, raising my eyebrow and shifting off of my barstool. I stood up properly and stretched a little, cracking my knees, and my back.

"I don't want you to go,” He said, oh so pathetically “…seriously, you've always been there every day to cheer me up, especially with all that's going on now, plus I'd be alone... Mike isn't really talking to me, and Tré is too busy with personal stuff."

"Why?"

"Well, they are adults, I guess they’re allowed their own lives too… it can’t be Green Day all the time,” he sighed, looking up to me with those green sad eyes. “Do I sound pathetic?”

“Just a little,” I put my hand over my mouth and giggled softly. “Oh Billie,” I walked around to his side and put my hand on his shoulder… I tingled ever so slightly. “Honey, I’m gone for a week… sleep, watch television, eat, take a shit, walk the dog, I’ll be back before you know it.”

Billie sighed and gave in with a nod, he then took his keys out of his pocket and proceeded to spin them around his index finger in a clockwise circular motion. I raised my brow at him. “Are you planning on going somewhere?”

“Just out, y’know.”

“…no, actually, I don’t know…” I quietly said, stepping back from Billie as he stood up. “Aren’t you going to help me pack?”

"You can pack a suitcase yourself; you’re a grown woman Jennifer! I mean you DO have arms... right?" Billie smirked, but I felt kind of left down and only frowned at the taller man in front of me, considering it was probably the last time he’d see me before I set off, and he just rambled on about how he didn’t want me to leave.

Deciding to be cocky back, I replied as sarcastically as I could. "Uh... I think so... oh my God! I have two arms! TWO!" I yelled, walking off, and upstairs. You could call me moody, yes, but I had my reasons… I really did!

That night I had packed all of my stuff into my suitcase, amazingly by myself, and had settled down in bed with a mug of hot Ovaltine, a packet of Malteasers, and CSI on my television. I had thoughts of Billie running through my head up until the point I hit the hay and fell asleep, just wondering why he had been so defensive for me to stay, but then just walked away when he accepted it…

***

I hit my alarm with a dull 'thud' before sitting up in bed and rubbing my tired eyes, I quickly brushed my teeth, brushed my hair and got changed, I looked at myself and sighed.

I looked like shit warmed up.

I walked downstairs and looked to the clock… 4am… I yawned and rubbed my tired eyes.

It’s too fucking early for this.

I heard a pap of someone’s horn outside and figured it was the taxi, kissing Miles goodbye I pulled my luggage outside and locked the door behind me. I turned to look at the taxi but jumped back in shock.

…it wasn’t a taxi… it was Billie.

He got out to load his car with my suitcase and then opened the passenger car door for me; I raised my eyebrow at the man and just stood there. “Come on, it’s cold, I’m tired, and I’m fucking desperate for a cigarette,” He said moodily, my eyes widened and I slowly nodded, getting into the car still utterly confused as to why he was even here.

“So… what’s this about?” I asked, putting my seatbelt on and turning to face Billie.

He started up the engine and looked to me. “Free taxi service? I am a kind person, y’know!”

I rolled my eyes and nodded, adjusting my beanie hat and sinking into Billie’s car seat. I was so tired and comfortable I could have just fallen asleep right there and then, but since Billie had been such a sweetheart I decided to keep him company on the semi-long ride to the airport.

"Damn got to pee," He swerved the car around and headed back to his house.

I raised my eyebrow. "I would like to get to the airport on time, please,” I said, with a heavy sigh.

Billie cocked his head at me for a second then returned to looking at the road ahead. "Hey! I have to pee," He said sternly. We got to his house and 10 minutes later we were back on the road. "Are you hungry?"

"No…” I said, raising my brow yet again.

"I am!” Billie exclaimed, staring at a service station sign.

I frowned, noticing where the man was looking."Billie... do not turn into the road restaurant."

"Where's that?" He said, playing oblivious to it all.

I glared at him and swatted his arm. “Don’t even play coy, you idiot,” I hissed.

Billie’s eyes widened and he pulled into the service station. “If you aren’t nice to me… then I’m not going to drive,” He said, parking and getting out of the car.

"OI!" I screeched, getting out the car with him. "Why are you doing this to me?!" I shouted.

Billie casually shrugged at me, leaning on his car and lighting up a cigarette. “Because you are being an asshole to me?”

I glared once again, walking over to Billie and swatting the cigarette from his pursed lips. “Do NOT screw me over Billie; I NEED to get to that airport.”

Billie rolled his eyes. “You love running away, don’t you?” I stepped back with a hurt expression on my face. “Oh hey… I didn’t mean it like that, “He said, putting his arms around me to try and act like the good guy… but I just pushed him away. “I’ll just miss you too much… I can’t let you go,” He said, with a sad tone in his voice.

When I remained silent, Billie sighed and got back in his car. I followed and sat down in the passenger seat. I turned to look at Billie, tears in my eyes. “Take me home,” I said quietly. “But don’t speak to me again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh this took me forever because the original was boring; now I know how you all must feel.
Sorry if you get confused during rewrite... a few things have changed!

Dates, Haushinka is now Miles, and a few other things. :)