It's Not As Easy As It Looks

Happy Birthday

Do you ever think about your birthday in a really weird way, like, a certain amount of years ago you were being pushed out of your mother's vagina?

No? Just me.

I never said I was normal, though.

It was the 20th of March 2007. Turning 25 felt like no big deal, but this was one of the biggest parties I had ever had, bar my 18th, where I had all my closest friends around me for a big day of fun; arcades, picnics, pub, and then a sleepover with cake and alcohol. It was really fun, I loved having all my friends over at once because not all of them got along. I'd always see those American movies where someone had a huge network of friends who were all friends with each other.

Not mine, mine all hated each other.

I woke up like it was a normal day, in fact I thought it was, I had completely forgotten it was my birthday, it was only until I saw balloons and banners streamed across my room that I suddenly remembered. I smiled at Morgan's effects to make this the best birthday ever and slid out of bed to get ready.

An hour later I was downstairs eating the biggest pile of pancakes man had ever seen, topped with strawberries and syrup. Morgan actually made a pretty good cook, maybe that should be her job.

A knock came from the front door, I looked to the time, it was only half past seven in the morning, who the hell would visit so early? I guess it could be a number of people, or maybe even a mail man, but even still I was curious to see who it was. I padded barefoot over to the door and opened it without even checking through the peep-hole, only to freeze in complete shock.

"Mom?!" I cried, wrapping myself around her. This was the best birthday present I had ever received, she had flown all the way out here just for me. "Oh my God, mom, I'm so happy you're here," I gushed, kissing her on the cheek and stepping back.

My mom smiled motherly before stepping into the house. "I wouldn't miss this for the world."

We spent the rest of the morning preparing for the guests, making sure all the food and decorations were set up for them. We even put up a marquis so guests could chill outside, even if it rained. We had a BBQ set up, with plates and plates of food ready to be grilled or cooked.

I could have fed thousands, even if I was only feeding ten.

My friends started piling into the house, a few photographers from Click It also arrived, I was so happy to have such a good network of friends--it really didn't get any better than this.

"Good afternoon birthday girl," was all I heard from someone holding a big bouquet of flowers. They moved them out the way for me to see Billie's face.

"Pah, put them back, it was a lot better the other way," I teased lightly slapping his arm. "Thank you."

Billie smiled, "you're welcome, even if you insulted me," he giggled and handed me the beautiful bouquet and kissed me sweetly on the cheek. I blushed as red as Rudolph's nose and went to place them on my kitchen table, where hopefully they wouldn't be knocked off and ruined.

Suddenly, someone from behind crept up on me and lifted me into the air by my waist, I screamed out in pure shock, and when I realised what was going on I was being put down, I turned around to see Mike laughing his head off, I rolled my eyes. "Very funny."

"I thought so, too," He grinned, handing me a wrapped present. "Here you go, hope you like it," He smiled and tilted his head. "Also... you and Billie?"

I shook my head and smiled, walking off to add the present to the stack of ones everyone else had given me.

Miles loved the presents the most, scratching and demolishing and some of the wrapping paper, even when we told him sternly no.

"Hey guys!" Tré beckoned. "Whose up for some good old Xbox?!"

Everyone gathered around, taking their seats, when I realised that we were short of one I gave it up to Morgan.

"Come here," Billie said, patting his lap, I raised my brow but didn't fight it. I sat down on his lap, hoping to God I wasn't a whale squashing him. It was awkward at first, I wasn't sure what to do, but I eased into it and leaned slowly back into him.

I could feel his breath against my neck, the hairs on the back of my neck prickled with the warmth of his breath.

For a moment I got caught in the motion until an Xbox 360 controller was thrusted into my hands and I was in instant gaming mode, almost forgetting I was sitting on Billie, who had slid his arms around my body.

I think everyone in the room knew that we were sitting a little closer than friends should.

"Change controllers!" I announced after the match had ended, I handed mine to Billie and leaned back to he could see. "Can you see?"

"Yup," He simply said, without even looking at me, and went into competitive mode against the rest of the guys. I laughed every time he died, just to tease him. I'd get the occasional rib jab for being rude, or the occasional tickle everytime I teased. I felt like we were back to normal, maybe even more so, with Tiffany out of the picture.

So why exactly did he go with her? To rebound?

By the end of the match we were back to eating food with good music playing, when the lights went out. I half knew what to think, but was still in the dark about it all... that was a pun.

"What's going on?" Brittany asked Mike, unable to see anything else.

"I have no idea," I replied, grabbing onto the nearest thing.

"That's my boob, Jen," Morgan laughed, and started to grope me, when all of a sudden I saw 25 flickering lights approach me.

Then I knew in an instant what was going on and my eyes started to water as everyone in perfect harmony started to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me. I couldn't ask for a better birthday.

My mother was leading the cake out, followed by Billie who stood next to her.

I could see their smiling faces behind the lights, and when asked to make a wish by everyone in the room, I had no idea what to wish for--I had everything I needed right here. As corny as it sounded it was true. I had my family, friends, a job, and maybe a love. All I could think of was to wish everyone I knew happiness and health, before blowing out all twenty-five candles.

After we all had eaten the birthday cake, we sat around so I could open my presents. I have always been that type of person that loves ANY type of present, cheap, expensive, handmade, factory-made, whatever it was I'd love it--but it'd never read on my face. I swear everytime I open a present I must look so bored so I have to fake being really surprised and happy, when in fact I love the present.

Unwrapping the presents I was overwhelmed by what people had bought me; brand new cameras, set up and equipment, new technology like a laptop, an iPod and an iPhone. I got silly little toys that I cherished the most, CDs, DVDs, and the last one off of Billie.

I opened a tiny small box up to find... a key. I looked to Billie with a puzzling face. "What the hell?"

He led myself outside and everyone else joined, to be honest I hadn't noticed the outside world so he had easily slipped it in.

A brand new Volkswagen Beetle, like I had always wanted. Soft top in pastel yellow. I burst into a fit of tears because it was so beautiful and mind, and I hadn't even passed my test yet.

"Well how can anyone top that?" Morgan cheekily said, my mother laughing with her. "I mean sheesh."

Billie and I looked at her, with me still crying. "Morgan your present was perfect I loved it honestly," I sniffed, trying to sound as humble as possible, her present was amazing, I didn't care about her budget.

"Oh Billie... you don't even know what this means to me, thank you so much," I hugged into him hard then took the key out the box and pressed it. The doors opened with a beep and I squealed.

I hopped into the driving seat and took a deep breath of the air. New car smell... one of my favourite smells. It smelt so good, and the seat was so damn comfortable. I hugged into the steering wheel lovingly yet jokingly. I think I was in love with the car, though.

I got out the car eventually and took a look at the night sky; so many stars alight in the sky, glowing down over us, the air was warm with a cool breeze. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, almost breathing in serenity before joining the hub-bub of the party.

The mood had changed down to a very cool, relaxed atmosphere when I got back in. The lights were dim and the music was slow. Everyone was sat around talking about everything and anything when I felt a hand grab at my arm, I looked up to see Billie who nudged his head to the side, I raised my brow and followed as he lead me upstairs to my bedroom.

"What are you doing?" I asked as he flicked on my bedroom light. I squinted at first, I had gotten used to the dim lights downstairs.

Billie sat on the bed and patted next to him, and I followed his command. He turned to look at me and smiled. "I'm sorry for being a douche this past month, I was so ravelled in trying to find some form of relationship happiness I completly forgot about my friends and what was right in front of me."

My eyes widened, was I really hearing what I wanted to hear?

"I think we both know there is something going on--hell apparantly everyone else knows but us. I like you... I really do, and maybe we should try us out, see how it works... and if it doesn't, we carry on as friends."

Was he really asking me out? Was I hearing this right?

"...are you... going to say something?" He asked, a bit worried by my quietness.

"I... uh...," I bit my lip and laughed nervously. "Sorry I... don't really know what to say, because for months I have been wanting to hear this but for some reason I never pictured what I'd say after you asked me, so I have no idea what to say," I stumbled across my words, speaking quite fast, I was so nervous, I could feel my heart beat in my throat, I felt so sick to the stomach... I literally thought I might explode.

"Say yes?" He grinned like a proud school boy who had just gotten his first A+.

My smile followed his and I nodded my head in reply. "Yes... yes of course I will."

All of a sudden I heard a loud 'YES!' outside my door, I rolled my eyes, it was obviously Morgan spying on me. But then I heard everyone cheer and I blushed a deep shade of red and hid my head in my hands.

Billie just laughed it off, not phased by it all, it was obvious how much more confident he was. "Yeah yeah guys, go back to the party!" He ordered, wrapping his arms around me and kissing my head. I looked up at him with my dark brown eyes and smiled up at him.

"Everything is so perfect," I said, snuggling into him. "But why am I scared?"

Billie looked puzzled for a moment. "Scared? Why are you scared?"

I looked back up at him, face smushed against his chest. "Because whenever something is so perfect... something always comes along and fucks it up."

Billie laughed at my word choice and stroked my back. "Well... I'll make sure that won't happen, I promise."

I smiled back at him, feeling reassured. "You make me feel so safe," I said softly, locking my eyes with his. I glanced to his lips and back up to his eyes as I realised he started leaning in towards me. I tilted my head up to catch his lips and we kissed softly.

Billie ran his hand down my side, resting it firmly on my hip, whilst the other went upwards to cup my face as the kiss became more passionate.

I never would have imagined this is what I would be doing tonight, but we became lost in each other's worlds, and we spent then rest of the night dedicated to each other, almost forgetting about everyone else in the world, like we were the last two people alive.

I can honestly say... it was my best birthday yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you read this story the first time around, you will notice the plot is changing a bit from the previous version.