Sequel: For One Beat More

Smiling Politely

This Is A Chokehold

“So what happens now?” Kaylah asked from the middle of Lexi’s bed where she was watching her best friend fold and put away washing.

The slightly shorter girl shrugged, “He’s back on tour and we just see how it goes.”

“So, you’re together?”

Lexi blushed a bit as she grinned, “Yeah.”

“Halle-fucking-lujah,” her friend laughed as she pinged a pair of black cotton knickers into the air in celebration.

Lexi caught them as they flew in her direction, “We’re just taking it slow, seeing how things go.”

She tried to play down the fact that she and Matt were trying again, for herself more than anything else. She knew that without any pressure they could just quietly go back to the way things were but better, there hadn’t been much wrong with their relationship, they just hadn’t communicated enough but that was easily fixed. What she was a little worried about was the reaction amongst their friends to the news, she knew that some people would not be happy that she was back to being a permanent feature in Matt’s life.

“So when does tour finish?” Kaylah asked, interrupting her train of thought.

“Uh, another nine days,” she mentally counted quickly.

Kay nodded, “Any plans?” she trailed off hopefully.

Lexi scratched the back of her ear, “Um, well, so far the plan is that I’m going to head down to Sheffield for a bit. College will nearly be finished then and I’ve handed all my course work in already so there’s really no point sticking around there,” she shook her head at the thought of having to spend anymore time in the vicinity of Nicole and Eva, “And Mark owes me a shitload of holidays,” she smiled.

“Yeah he does. I’m going to miss you, so you better not be gone for long,” Kaylah warned.

“Couple of weeks, tops. We’re taking things slowly remember?”

Kaylah rolled her eyes, “You guys will be back to normal within days, that’s what happens when you love someone,” she stuck her tongue out as Lexi opened her mouth to contradict her.

“I just don’t want to rush things and ruin them,” she confessed.

“You won’t. You’re sensible, but don’t be too sensible. Remember it’s okay to be a bit silly you’re still young, you’re allowed to fuck up sometimes.”

Lexi smiled and walked over to hug her best friend, “I’m going to miss your words of wisdom.”

“Dude, you do know I’m expecting daily texts and a phone call at least every three days. If not I will be deeply disappointed and might not let you back into this humble abode,” Kaylah placed her hands on her hips in mock authority, or maybe it was real authority.

“Speaking of the flat, is Dean going to become a permanent feature now that you can turn this into a little love nest?” Lexi raised an eyebrow.

It was Kaylah’s turn to blush, one of the few times since lexi had known her, “Maybe, I’ve not said to him yet.”

“He practically lives here already and his mother’s a psycho I’m sure he’d jump at the chance to move in,” Lexi said quickly, “And there’s the fact that he loves you obviously.”

Kaylah laughed, “One couple in love at a time please.”

“Suits me just fine,” Lexi grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another little slightly rubish chapter to finish off. Comments?

If anyone cares about this anymore there's a sequel in the works For One Beat More

Oh and chapter titles were from Smiling Politely by the ridiculously good Cancer Bats. If you don't know them already get them in your life, you need it.