A Hatred That Will Never Bloom Into Friendship

A Hatred That Will Never Bloom Into Friendship

"Shadow clone jutsu!" Four exact clones of myself poof into sight, with two on each side of me.

"Nice work, Kimina. You were able to produce four solid clones. With the same appearance... and you also have divided your chakra among them equally," Iruka-sensei tells me proudly.

"Yes. It seems that you have a knack for shadow clones. Very nice work indeed," the other chuunin in the room says; Mizuki Touji.

"Thank you!" each of my clones, and also I reply.

"Well, there's only one thing left to say... you pass! Kimina, you are now a full-fledged genin of the Hidden Leaf village!" Iruka says to me smiling. He lifts one of the many Leaf Shinobi headbands that were placed neatly on the desk, and extends it out to me.

I didn’t move to take it from him. I was stunned. "What? I... I past? Yes! I past!" I exclaim happily, punching my fist into the air, my moment of shock over. “Yes!”

'Such enthusiasm. Yes. I believe that you will go far, Kimina, in becoming a true shinobi of this village,' Iruka thinks to himself.

I walk up to the desk, where the two chuunin were sitting, and take the headband with gratification and a warm smile.

"Take the headband with pride, Kimina. You truly have earned it," Mizuki states with a nod of his head.

"Yes, I will. Thank you both," I reply, my heart slightly racing from the excitement.

"Yes, thank you both!" the four of my clones exclaim, before disappearing out of sight.

~~*~~

"Oh, Kimina! I'm so proud of you for passing your examination!" My mother nearly suffocates me from the grip of her hug, clearly happy about me passing my exam. She finally lets me go after five minutes (well not really, but it felt like it) and admires the Leaf headband tied around my neck.

"...Mom?" I ask tentatively.

"Yes..." she says, sitting down at the kitchen table, still looking at my headband.

"Do... do you think that father would've been proud of me?" I ask, looking away from her questioning brown eyes as her eyes finally lock with mine.

"What are you saying? Of course he would be. Don't you ever think that he wouldn't ever be proud of you. Understand me?" She stands up, and puts her hands on both my shoulders.

"Yes. I'm... I'm sorry for asking such a question," I reply glumly, gazing past her at my father's picture over the fireplace.

"So ummm... did Hinata also pass on her exam?" my mother asks, trying to change the conversation.

It worked. "Yeah, she did! Just like me! Everyone past their exams, actually! Well... I just don't know about one person though," I sigh out heavily.

"And who might that be, Kimina?" she inquires, looking at me a little confused.

"Well, he was the last one to take his examination. I would've stayed... but you wanted me back home. Ummm... Naruto Uzumaki," I was skeptical about telling her, but I did. And I immediately regretted it. I notice her change of attitude as I said his name. Her expression became sullen, and I could see a hint of malice in her eyes. I knew that would happen.

"Oh. Well, I'm sure that he did fine. Anyway, I want you to go out and get these things for dinner tonight," she explains, handing me a list of ingredients.

"Right. I'll be back in a bit," I tell her, taking the list from her hands, wanting to get some fresh air.

~~*~~

"Ummm... lettuce, check. Celery, check. Lemons... check. Paprika, check. And basil... check. Looks like I got everything!" I mentally mark off all the items on the list.

"Why is that boy sitting up there on the roof?" a woman walking pass me asks her partner.

"I don't know. Just hope he's not thinking of pulling any pranks... stupid boy," he replies to her.

"What?" I say lowly, gazing up to where the couple were referring. I spot, way atop of the tallest building, two pairs of orange legs dangling over one of the balconies. "Naruto? What is he doing up there?"

~~*~~

"Hello, Naruto," I say happily, sitting down beside him.

"Oh... hey Kimina," he replies, a saddening expression on his face. I smile cheerfully, not noticing his gloomy mood.

"Sure is a nice view up here, huh?" I stare interestingly at the setting sun ahead.

"Yeah, it is..." he answers, discouraged.

"Hmm? Naruto, are you okay?" I question abruptly. Naruto glances over at my headband tied around my neck. I look closely at his body and notice that he did not have a Leaf headband nowhere on him. I bite my bottom lip, and look sadly away from his face.

"You... you didn't pass, did you?" I already knew the answer to it, and I shudder at his next words.

"So, you finally noticed, huh?" he says, with a small laugh.

"Oh, Naruto. I blame myself. I should've reminded you before today about the exams. I..." I trail off, not knowing what else to say.

"No. It's not your fault. I wouldn't have passed anyway if you had told me. The Shadow clone jutsu technique... I just can't master it. This is my third time failing this exam! Why can't I do this!?" Naruto yells at himself.

"Naruto, please... don't beat yourself up over this. I mean... you'll find your strength someday. I guarantee that. And I bet that Iruka-sensei did want to pass you, Naruto. But..." my voice trails off yet again. I just didn’t know what to say in this situation.

"Then why didn't he?" Naruto remarks sharply.

"Well, well, well. Someone is in a foul mood today," a voice says behind the both of us. I turn around and see the other chuunin that was at my examination; Mizuki. He wore a sneer on his face, but as I looked directly at him he changed his expression completely; almost evil it seemed to a kind smile.

"Oh. Hello, Kimina. I was wondering if I could speak to Naruto... alone?" he tells me genially.

"Uhhh... sure. Anyway, I have to be getting back on home. See you around Naruto," I say, not looking at him, not wanting to see the sadness in his eyes.

"...Yeah. See you later.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hoped you enjoyed reading it. ^^