A Hatred That Will Never Bloom Into Friendship

A Hatred That Will Never Bloom Into Friendship

"Man, I'm so full."

The sun was slowly setting in the west, casting the sky in a sea of pink and orange. The park was particularly quiet as I walked home, and I took comfort in the peaceful silence.

It never lasts though.

"Hey, Kimina."

"Hmm... Anko sensei?"

She was leaning against a tree a few yards away, her arms crossed and a smirk on her face.

"I just want to talk to you and see how things are going. That okay?"

I blink a couple times. "Yeah, sure."

We sit at a park bench nearby.

"You really have grown-up, you know?" Anko tells me with a playful facade.

"Yeah, I guess you can say that," I reply.

"That battle in the preliminary rounds was really something else. Those wind and fire dragons you cast were awesome. They are of a higher ninja level, but you managed to learn them no problem. I'm really proud..." she continues.

My heart sinks to my stomach. Not again about my healing power, I think. "It was nothing. I mean... it was a lot of hard work though..." I chuckle.

Anko leans back on the bench and crosses her arms over her chest. "You need to stop being modest, Kimina."

"Modest? But I..."

"Yes, modest. You always play down your abilities and strength." She shakes her head. "You really don't know the true potential you have, do you?" She smirks. "You already gotten strong, and you are only going to get stronger from here on. You'll definitely be something to reckon with."

I smile. "You know, I never remember you to give out so many compliments."

She grins. "I know, right? So, take them in while you can. Hahahah!"

I look towards the ground at my feet. "But my potential only started because of you, sensei," I reminisce.

I felt so depressed. I couldn't laugh or smile anymore.

The death of my father tore my heart into two, and left me feeling empty inside.

A knock then sounds at my bedroom door.

I glance at it from across the room, staring at it blankly while my legs dangled casually over the side of my bed. I figured it was my mom so I didn't bother to call out an invite to enter.

The door opens and in walks two figures; the Hokage and an older woman. She had short dark hair pulled into a ponytail and same dark eyes with a pale complexion.

"Hello, Kimina," the Hokage greets me. I only nods, and he continues. "I am here to see how you are doing."

I pull my legs up in a crossing position and look down at my hands in my lap. "I'm... fine." Tears well up in my eyes but I try desperately to not let them fall.

I didn't look, but I could practically feel the Hokage's warm smile directed at me. He was such a kind man. He steps towards me and I glance up at him. He sits down next to me on my bed; the other lady stays where she is.

"You do not have to be strong on front of me, Kimina. This is a hard time and I know it is. Your father is gone, but he died a hero saving his students. He will truly be missed. He was an amazing shinobi... and a great father."

The tears finally spill over and I bury my head in the Hokage's robes. He puts his arm around me and comforts me in my mourning, my tears making a small puddle on his clothes.

I faintly hear him call the other woman in the room... Anko...

~~*~~

I exhale and throw another kunai at my intended target but it misses completely, soaring past the tree and into the branches out of sight. I roll my eyes and try again with a shuriken but its only the same outcome.

"Aren't you supposed to be in school? I know for a fact that it started two weeks ago," I hear a girl say from my left. "Oh... its you..."

I glance over and see the dark, shirt haired woman from that day when the Hokage visited me. That was about a month ago now.

I only offer a small smile in response,hoping it didn't come off as being pretended. She didn't seem to notice anyway; her attention focused on the unscathed tree.

"Um, what was your name again?"

"Anko... Anko Mitarashi," she replies nonchalantly. "So, why aren't you in school?"

I just shrug my shoulders, not trusting myself to give her an answer. Basically, the Academy had nothing for me. I was never going to be a ninja; I was no good.

She then smirks, seeming to read my mind. I drop the kunai in my hand accidentally. I falls to the grass silently.

"Are you trying to pierce that tree there?" she points directly in front of me, changing the subject. I nod. "I don't think your focusing hard enough," she says, walking fully into the clearing. "Here let me see that."

I pick up the knife and hand it to her. She faces the tree, clear intent in her expression. "You have to focus, obviously. Sorta be one with the weapon." She casually flicks the knife and it pierces deep in the center of the tree bark. My eyes go wide with amazement. "So, tell me why your not at the Academy?"

I shrug. "I'm just not ready yet."

She stares at me for a little bit before saying, "Tell you what, how about I teach you a few things." She shrugs. "A little training and after it you can go to the Academy."

"Really? Your not forcing me to go to school now?" I ask incredulously.

She lifts her shoulders. "I'm not one of those stuffy ol' strict teachers, even though you should be in school but given your situation and what you have been though I'll be lenient." I smile. "Just this once."

"Ok..."

We shake on it.


You helped me learn the basics, even if it was just for a little bit," I say nonchalantly. "My confidence boasted so much during that time and I think that was what helped me in the long run... well..."

"Well what?" Anko asks me.

"My confidence improved in the prospects of the abilities I could do... but not the confidence of being a in a real battle..."

Anko nods her head. "That's common in genin going out on their first mission. But now you seem not afraid of anything."

I avert my gaze. "Definitely not true." My thoughts automatically turn to Orochimaru. I shiver but because of the chilly air.

"Well, I'm glad I was able to help," Anko replies with her sassy smile.

I simply smile back.
♠ ♠ ♠
:( i haven't had any comments in awhile...