Sequel: The Last Fight
Status: First edit is completely done :D Second edit is in the process.

As the Sister of Harry Potter

Back to Business

I vaguely remember the party after the match, not because I was drunk, and not because my mind had blocked it out. All I could remember was the feeling of euphoria like I had drunk Felix Felicis.

N.E.W.T.’s were the only things to look forward to now. That, and graduation. But I still had quite a few things on my mind.

First of all, Harry and Hermione had discovered the reason why Hagrid had been injured and continued to be; he was hiding a giant in the forest, his “little” half-brother named Grawp. My jaw nearly detached itself from my skull when I heard the news.

“Has Hagrid lost his marbles?! What was he thinking?

“I dunno,” Harry sighed. “I’m worried about him.”

“Me too. He could be getting the sack any day.” This was a truthful, but not particularly pleasant, thought. “Oh, and Harry?”

“Yeah?”

“D’you reckon I could borrow the Cloak for tomorrow morning?”

“Sure, just uhh… bring it back.”

I smiled. “Thanks, I will.”

Second thing on my mind were the pranks. We still had a few we wanted to do. We set up a challenge Monday night offering a thousand galleons to whichever student could climb the Whomping Willow successfully. Needless to say, several first years ended up in the Hospital Wing, and the Inquisitorial Squad was set up on standing guard at the deranged tree.

That week on Thursday was also when I borrowed the Invisibility Cloak. But it wasn’t for myself—it was for Sophia Warbeck. Lee had talked her into helping us with a prank, and this morning it was due to go into action. I sat in Potions with Sarlanda and Samantha, getting back my homework from Tuesday; E. Not bad for Snape’s class.

“Per-usual, there has been little improvement from the majority of you,” said Snape, his eyes lingering on me. “Disappointing, seeing as how your N.E.W.T. exams are merely weeks away…” It took a lot of self control to not roll my eyes. No improvement my arse. Snape opened his mouth to continue when a spark of blue fire appeared in the corner of the room.

In a manner of seconds, the entire room was engulfed in a blue heat. As people screamed and scrambled for the door, Snape started yelling incantations, but nothing seemed to work. Sarlanda and I grabbed our books and ran out of the classroom, following the rest of the class up to the Entrance Hall. Profuse amounts of smoke were rising from the dungeons, and everyone looked confused.

Suddenly, Sophia appeared behind me and slipped the Cloak into my bag. The tips of her black curls were singed, but other than that, she was fine.

“Nice one. What did you use?”

“Thanks, tell you later, gotta run, Snape,” she said breathily before zipping up the Grand Staircase and out of sight.

The fire didn’t get put out until nearly the end of the class. Umbridge was summoned, and Filch had to help her put out the flames. When we were allowed back down to the classroom, we found it just as it was before the fire except for one thing. On one of the walls, written in soot, were the words, “XOXO, THE MARAUDERS.”

-

Friday morning was just as exciting.

The preparations had taken a lot of bribing and coaxing of the House Elves, the Map, stealing into Madame Hooch’s office, and two-thirds the night.

Lee and Hyden did announcements. “Good morning everyone! I’m Palm Tree!”

“And I’m Rockstar! And we’re bringing you your daily announcements!”

“First off, we’d like to say that we hoped those of you in the dungeons yesterday enjoyed the morning off!”

“Now, you all know that exams are coming up so we’ll be taking the next few weeks off to study and get through exams.”

“But for now… a new joke! You know you’re a pureblood if Lucius Malfoy is not only your cousin, but also your uncle, great-grandfather, brother, and, thanks to that incident with the Time Turner and a Gender-Bender spell, your aunt!”

“Great one, Mr. Palm Tree. And now… take it away, ladies!”

That was our cue. I heard Ophilia whisper an incantation as Sarlanda and I pointed our wands in different directions under the tables and muttered, “Locomotor Food.” Out of the ceiling came the Bludgers and Snitch, dive-bombing everyone. Students screamed and the teachers were in shock. But no on seemed to notice the food rising from the tables until one of the Bludgers hit a vat of gravy and sent it flying all over everyone. All was still until someone from the Ravenclaw table screamed, “FOOD FIGHT!” Then all food-related hell broke loose.

The food began flying itself at people furiously, like it had a mind of its own. And the loose Quidditch balls didn’t help matters. The Bludgers screamed around the hall, breaking every dish they could, and the Snitch darted around frantically, trying to dodge food. Containers of milk, juice, gravy and coffee poured themselves out onto people’s heads. Eggs and potatoes flew like snowballs, toast and bacon like darts. Cyliana White jumped around squawking as syrup was poured down the front of her shirt. There were more people taking cover than there were throwing food. Stacy was one of those few brave souls, a look of absolute glee on her face as she threw food like a mad woman. Ophilia and I took to waltzing through the food, spinning and laughing. Chaos was brilliant.

“FININTE!”

The food froze in mid air and fell to the floor. The hall was silent save for the swooshes of the Bludgers and Snitch above our heads, and the deep, labored breathing of Umbridge. She looked absolutely mad, bits of sausage in her hair, eyes bugging out, and her skin glistening from syrup.

“All of you will clean this up now! And no one will shower until tomorrow morning!” she snarled. The Snitch hovered over her head. “And someone catch those Quidditch balls!”

-

The Monday of the week before exams, McGonagall gave us our schedules for exams. “Your exams will be spread out over two weeks, like it was for your O.W.L.’s. However, you’ll do your practical before the theory this time. And although your test scores reflect our new – headmistress’s – regime at the school, that is no reason why you shouldn’t do your absolute best. And remember that all forms of cheating are strictly prohibited.”

The final thing on my mind was studying. That night, I sat in Cedric’s dorm with him. He, studying for Charms, and myself, for Transfiguration. I was reading back through Advanced Transfiguration, getting more and more frustrated with each line. I finally ended up throwing the book as hard as I could at the wall. Cedric jumped out of his skin from the bang.

“I hate this!” I yelled.

“Hate what?” Cedric asked, marking his place in his notes and setting them down.

“Transfiguration! I bloody hate it! McGonagall doesn’t make any sense, and that book isn’t much better!” I vented, tears nearly sliding down my cheeks in anger. Cedric reached over, wrapped his arms around me, and pulled me to him.

“Come on Jen, it can’t be that bad…”

“It is, you try reading that thing!” I exclaimed, pointing my toe to my book, which lay open on the floor.

Cedric walked over, picked up the book, and began glancing through it. After a few moments, he snorted, shook his head, and closed the book.

“I haven’t a clue what I just read,” he said, sitting back down beside me on the bed once more.

“See? I told you,” I grumbled, throwing myself down on his bed. “I’m so bloody stupid. I’m never going to pass that N.E.W.T.!” I covered my face with my hands in hopes Cedric wouldn’t see me now actually crying. He lied down beside me and pulled me back into his comforting embrace.

“You’re not dumb Jen. It’s just a hard class, and you’re stressing over the exams.” There was a moment or two of silence where Cedric stroked my hair and I stifled my tears through the use of my hands and self-control.

Cedric was the one who broke the silence. “Why did you continue on to N.E.W.T. Transfiguration? No offense, but it’s your worst subject.”

“Because McGonagall told me last year that I had to get top marks in just about everything if I wanted to teach.”

“You want to teach?” he asked, confused.

“Yeah. I want to teach Defense here as soon as I can. But at this rate, I’ll never be able to do it.”

Cedric raised his eyebrows. “Since when do you have to be pro at Transfiguration to be able to teach Defense?”

“It comes in handy sometimes. I turned someone into a newt once in a duel.” Cedric looked as if he were about to ask another question, but he changed his mind.

“What do you want to do after we graduate?” I asked, snuggling up to him. He was warm.

“Hmmm… I dunno… Dad wants me to play pro Quidditch, but Mum wants me to go work at the Ministry.”

“Yeah, but what do you want?”

“Well, I really want to marry this beautiful girl I’m in love with and raise a family,” he responded, smiling softly. I returned it.

“That sounds nice,” I commented. “But not until after Voldemort’s gone. Until then, I’m joining the Order and going to go kick some Death Eater arse.”

“I’ll go with you. Join the Order, and help bring down Voldemort. But you know, the second he’s gone, I’m going to ask you to marry me. And I mean that,” he added.

I looked up at him. “You – really?”

“Absolutely serious.” His eyes didn’t lie.

“Alright, if we both survive good old Lord Moldy Shorts, then I’ll agree to marry you.”

“What’s this “if” talk? We will survive past Voldemort,” Cedric chuckled, kissing my forehead.

“Glad there’s at least one optimist here,” I said, closing my eyes and listening to his heart beating. If I could, I would have stayed there for the rest of eternity.
♠ ♠ ♠
The food fight idea came from an amazing fanfic on fanfiction.net called The Infamous Hogwarts Prankwar of 1977.
And Angelpris of said website gave the pureblood joke.