Opposites Attract

Rich Girl

Alex did a double take when he saw the house, scratch that, mansion Lily had just pulled up to. She rolled down the window to punch a few numbers into the keypad which caused the decorative iron gates to open. She drove up the long driveway parking under a gigantic oak tree with a swing attached to a branch underneath.

"Holy crap! Where are we?" Alex asked in awe.

"My house," Lily responded sheepishly.

Alex whipped his head to face Lily, "You live here?" he said, putting emphasis on live. The house was probably 3 stories, red brick with ivy vines coming up the side and a simple elegant garden of tulips, irises, crocuses, lilies and lily's favourite, sunflowers. The lawn was well manicured, and in front of the double french doors was a welcome mat.

"Yeah..." Lily trailed off watching Alex closely, "You don't think I'm a spoiled rich girl do you? Because my step-father and mother work very hard to make their money, no scams or lying was involved. They don't discriminate against other people. I honestly don't care about the money, it just gives me more opportunities that most, and pretty sick vacations."

"I don't think of you any differently than before, except maybe we should hang out at your house more." Alex said sincerely, smiling.

"Okay, but I still want to see you house." Lily responded, grabbing Alex's hand, and pulling him inside.

***

After a grand tour of the house, 5 bedrooms, 5 baths, high ceilings, they headed to the kitchen for some snacks. Alex did notice she avoid showing him the third floor where he guessed her room was. Perhaps she wasn't that comfortable with getting so personal yet. But Alex was ready, he was going to tell her about his dad.

Pouring out some triscuits into a bowl, she washed some grapes, some blue berries put them into a bowl, and put them on a tray along with a pitcher of ice tea and two glasses. As she did this Alex just sat on a high chair at the bar in the kitchen watching her. "Let's go out to the back yard." She said, as a woman in a maid uniform came into the kitchen.

"Miss Lily? What are you doing home?" The woman asked suprised.

"Oh just for lunch, I've brought a friend to cheer up."

"A friend? Since when?" It wasn't news in this household that Lily liked to be alone.

"He's a new friend, Lucy, this is Alex, Alex this is my nanny Lucy, she's wonderful." Lily said warmly introducing them to each other.

"Did you want me to make you something?"

"No, we're good, we'll be hanging in the backyard. You take a rest, how's Sammy?"

"Still sick, I may give him a call, just ring if you need anything."

"Sure thing."

***

Alex watched the exchange between Lily and Nanny and couldn't believe how self sufficient she was. She didn't even put her nanny to work, which was her job.

"Hey Alex can you grab that tray?"

"What? Oh yeah sure thing." Alex snapped out of it, grabbed the tray and following Lily out of the side door, to the backyard which was a beautiful as the front of the house.

A soft trickling came from a small fountain, there was a few well manicured flower beds and a medium sized pool. The fence on the sides opened up to the rocky shoreline of Lake Ontario.

"Hey Lily?"

"Mmm?" She responded mouth full of triscuit.

"If you have this much money why do you dress like that?"