Opposites Attract

To Dance Alone

2 months ago

Alex nodded his head casually as he walked down the empty hallways of the Oak Ridge Community Centre. He and Quinn were going to meet up at the basketball courts for a game of one-on-one and just hang out. His old converse squeaked on the tile.

He looked in the various rooms of the building as he passed them. He passed the library where many toddlers sat around a woman in a rocking chair as she read out a story. He passed the gym where many people ran on treadmills and elliptical machines, while causally chatting. He passed the pool where he noticed swimming lessons of all ages were happening, on one end of the pool young adults were swimming laps, while on the other end youths stood at the edge of the pool, hesitantly placing their toes in.

He passed a large yoga room where a session was in progress, taking a second to check out the teenage girls asses. He passed the skating rink, removed for the season where a lacrosse game was going on, he smiled as he remembered playing lacrosse as a kid.

Finally he approached the dance studios, the last rooms before the basketball court. As he came closer, he heard loud rock music playing and a teacher hollering; "Stop, higher jumps Lily, bend your knees more, that was good, but you were a little shaky on your coupe turns. You need to feel but you need to make your technique impeccable. Get some water and lets start from the top."

Alex heard the music restart after a few minuted and recognized it as Brand New' s Sowing Season, it was one of his favourites. Approaching cautiously he walked up to the small window in the door. He peered in cautiously and quietly gasped. It was Lily! The girl he talked to a few days ago on the train, and a few more days ago noticed in the library. He had no idea she danced.

Ignoring the odd implication of being caught watching, he stood at the doorway in awe as Lily, jette-d, turned, jumped, and moved, in rhythm with the music. It was a strange song to dance to, but so fitting, with what she did, at times her movements were jagged, and stiff, and she expressed the anguish of the song through her movements.

He was captivated as he watched her twist her body so gracefully and beautifully. The dance wasn't sweet or soft, but the raw emotion was exactly how he felt about his dad at times. It was like she was dancing with his emotions, if that was even possible.

She finished her dance clutching her head, exactly how he felt sometimes, like he wanted to turn his mind off. Lily's head quickly shot up, like she felt someone's eyes on her. Alex's eyes widened before he turned on his heel and dashed off to the basketball courts. His mind full of heavy thoughts.

***

Lily, looked up breathing heavier than normal, and waited for her teacher's verdict.

"That was lovely, Lily, one of the better ones today, I think we'll stop for today, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank Lacey, see you tomorrow" Lily responded before, heading her bag to pick up her sweater and water bottle.

"Oh and Lily?"

"Yes?" she asked and turned around.

"You're father would have been proud."
♠ ♠ ♠
Actually inspired by song this time, not vice versa.