Opposites Attract

Family Reunion

It was 4:00 pm. Lily rubbed her eyes tiredly, she had been at work training all morning and afternoon and she was beat.

But her day wasn't over yet.

"Lily!" The sound of her name being called snapped her from her impending slumber. "Lily! Are you getting dressed? We were supposed to be at Chris' house at 4:00! Can you please hurry up!?!"

Lily sighed and pushed herself up from her floor, where she collapsed for 15 blissful but somewhat short minutes. She stumbled over to her closet, while rubbing her eyes. Hmmm, she thought what to wear?

Her sister was wearing a black dress, and her mom was wearing black dress pants. Lily decided for something even more casual. Lily, slid into some lulu lemon yoga pants. They were comfortable and if worn properly could look like dress pants. She decided on a lacy tank top and cardigan. Along with some ballet flats and her cross necklace. She pulled her hair from its ponytail and let her hair fall delicately to her shoulder. When satisfied with her appearance. She stared at her reflection, her eyes focused in on her cross necklace. She didn't know why she wore it. She got it from her aunt that her dad hates because her aunt took most of their father's estate when he died. And Lily wasn't all that religious. Even if she was, Catholicism, would be her last choice. There was too much scandal and hypocrisy.

She grabbed a book she was currently reading and headed out the door.

***

Two hours later. She was sitting next to another aunt. Who was also talking about how much Lily had grown and how much of a lady she was becoming. This was on her right, on her left was her drunken father arguing with her uncle about something stupid, like when people say nine-oh-five instead of nine-zero-five.

Looks like mom's driving home tonight, she thought. Lily was just grateful that she wasn't the one listening to her dad go on and on.

She excused herself and began to walk to the bathroom. She passed the stairs where she saw her cousin leading 3 more people down the stairs. Unfortunately, her cousin Chris was 22 and so were her friends, that she invited to the party. So they wouldn't be that friendly or interesting to talk to. Their idea of fun was jello shots and a discussion of how to fake an orgasm. And since Lily was neither 19 or at all interested in sex, it wasn't going to be much fun to talk to them.

A quick hello, and Lily was off, avoiding that awkward situation.

***

The time wore on and Lily decided she could finally make a quiet exit. This was a safe decision because, if she talked to another person she would rip her ears off. so she would never have to hear them talk again.

She grabbed her book and headed for the balcony, she was almost there and-

"Lily? where are you going?" Lily turned and saw her aunt. Shit.

"Uh, nowhere, just walking around. Looking outside, oh look the rain has stopped. Uh, great, well, I'm going to go find my mom and--" Her aunt cut off her nervous rambling.

"Would you like some tea? Peppermint? Ginger?" Her aunt asked, her eyes knowing and understanding.

"I'd love some" Lily, said relieved.

***

30 minutes later, Lily, was nursing a big mug of ginger tea. Her aunt understood. Her aunt, like her wasn't much of a party person either. She just married one, and married into the hampton type family. The sun was beginning to set, and the colours were lovely, one plus of having a rich relative, she lives near the water, and sunsets were lovely here.

The music grew louder and the talking more obnoxious, but the summer air was warm. And Lily had no plans of going inside anytime soon. Here she was content, to be in (somewhat) quiet and alone.

And as the sun dipped into the lake Lily took another sip of her tea and closed her eyes.