Sequel: Forever, Your Dearest

What You Deserve

The Beginning to a Strange... Adventure?

"Hey, see you tomorrow, Zach," my eyes shifted to a young man who was standing at his doorstep, that merely nodded in acknowledgment, then turned around, stumbling into the door frame before making his way through the door. I knew when he had closed it, even when my back had turned away, as the light filtering onto me faded.

Tonight was eerily quiet, and not even crickets seemed to be chirping. No dogs were barking, as I passed by the houses. In truth, I wasn't positive which house had the mean dog in it. The one that was floating in the sky, or the one with a mouth. Wait... that wasn't right. Houses didn't fly! I laughed to myself lightly, there would need to be a ton of birds, and a really big pair of wings stuck to the sides, if it were to take flight. Now the house with the mouth... I was only focusing on not letting it think of me as a snack.

Shaking my head a little, I realized that I was by an alley that was the shortcut to my house. I almost always took it, and never had any problems, of course, the scent of alcohol usually seemed to ward off any rats... or it was my footsteps, I didn't know which, nor did I care. "Let's see... ten minutes away once I hit the streetlight..." I murmured, as I stopped in front of the streetlight pole, "hah... make that nine, because after I hit the pole, it takes me a minute to be able to walk straight again," I congratulated myself. No nosebleed prize this time! "I beat you, evil pole!" I shouted, before turning the corner, down the alley.

Actually, I was quite amused. That pole had no comeback whatsoever. It kind of disappointed me... Through my thoughts, I heard light footsteps quickly following my pace, but as I turned around, I came to realize nobody was there. "H-Hello?" I spoke loudly enough it echoed across ed the walls, and returned to my ears. Sighing, I shook my head a little, "I guess I'm back to ten minutes, because r..." pausing, I realized I couldn't think of the word for a moment, then it hit me, not literally this time, "..rats won't go away..." I mumbled, turning around.

"Oh, I'm a rat now?" a soothing deep voice rang through my ears, as I came face to face with a young man, who held the oddest red eyes. It was almost as creepy as the house with a mouth. Almost. "Such a pretty young lady... why do you smell so wretched... for... your kind, anyways?" he mused, reaching around my head, and twirling my dark hair with one of his fingers.

"Well, you look like one!" I spat. No, I actually spat, right in his face. Originally, I didn't intend on doing that, until he touched my hair. If he would have touched so much as a thread on my clothing, I would have done the same.

"You brat!" he growled, a disgusted look twisted his face, as he pulled back on my hair, making me cringe, and arch back a little, as his knee planted itself into my gut, making an acidic taste begin to rise. Amazing that it was only the taste. "I was going to give you what most humans desire, but I don't think you'll be so lucky--" he began, just as the sound of something raking across ed his back echoed through the air, and I felt his grip on my hair release. I stumbled backwards, and felt two cold hands grab me, as my vision began to blur. I'm sure everything I'd had at Zach's and getting kneed in the gut really helped my mind.

"I've got you," a quiet voice lingered into my ear, "my brother has everything under control..." were the last words I heard, before everything turned black and quiet.