Sequel: Forever, Your Dearest

What You Deserve

Damaged

I stared at the broken down vampire for a couple of minutes before hearing the door slide shut behind me. Even though I knew I was alone with Mikey, I was fully aware that we were not completely alone. Ray probably hadn't left the position beside the door, and surely Bob was in his room listening through the wall as if it were paper. I doubted they would leave me with such an intimidating person.

My body shifted uncomfortably under the burning gaze that was held from the man. Finally, he spoke, "you're afraid," he pointed out dully. There was no anger, joy, or sorrow in his tone. It was just flat. "Is that why you haven't left yet? Building the courage to finally run away? That's what you're going to do, isn't it?"

"No...." I mumbled lowly, looking at the ground to avoid his eyes. His glare. Really, I was only afraid of him and Ray, and in all honesty, I think I'd rather be in a room with just Ray. I doubted that a broken arm would do much to stop Mikey from snapping my neck. That would only take one hand, right?

"Why?" this seemed to catch his interest, as he shifted to sit up a little further, wincing as he moved his arm. Part of his body that had been sheilded by the wall was now revealed to me, and I let out a soft gasp seeing his face. A bruise had already formed upon his delicate-looking face, leading from a portion of his forehead down to a large black and blue mark that looked like if it had hit him any harder his cheek bone would have been crushed from the impact, before running down to a torn part of his lip where it looked as if blood had been seeping out of it, but of an unusually pale color that tainted his even paler lips. His eye had been partially closed before, however, I now noticed that it wasn't because he was tired, but a smaller bruise located on the very side of his eye which probably hurt for him to completely open it - or blink for that matter.

He saw my reaction, and slowly lifted his good hand to cover his face, waiting for my responce. I couldn't really think of an answer to his question. I stumbled over words mentally, trying to think of the reason, my lips slowly parting slightly to make out inaudible words that I didn't even hear. Finally, I found an answer, "it's better than my home..." I struggled to think of better reasons. "Everyone seems pretty nice... at least Bob and Gerard... Frank too... but he's confusing...." I mumbled the last part under my breath. I really didn't understand Frank. First he talked about having me as a meal, and then he seemed to protect me from anything that could hurt me. I didn't know what to think.

Mikey stared for a moment, and I could see his lip twitch a little, telling me that he had heard the part unintentionally said. "You're here for Frank," he stated. Seeing me shake my head, I heard a soft chuckle emit from his throat, "lying to even yourself," was his only responce, as he dropped his hand back to his side, and looked at the pillow on his bed longingly. "Is he going to turn you?"

My eye twitched at the thought, "no! I'm not lying to myself. I'm not turning into one of you..." I insisted, but saw him wince at my words. It made me feel especially bad, figuring that at least two others had heard what I said. "Not like..." I tried to think of what to say, but the vampire coldly interrupted.

"It's fine. Understandable. You can go back to your room now..." he mumbled a little, shifting to rest on the pillow as the door creaked open, revealing Ray, staring at me intensely, before motioning for me to follow him.

I followed him up to the stairs, in which he stopped. "...Gerard's the only one who isn't home right now..." was all he mumbled, before turning away and allowing me to climb the staircase alone, and open the door.

Inside, I realized what he had meant when he said that. I closed the door behind me, silently, and stared at the man on the bed, his eyes focussed on the door with a pitiful look to them, wide and helpless-looking. They followed my every footstep as I neared the bed in the room.

"Frank?" I questioned carefully. He had heard me.