Sequel: Forever, Your Dearest

What You Deserve

Gunshots

About a half an hour passed, and I could still hear movement. It seemed like every couple minutes, the sounds would come slightly closer. Things seemed to be quiet for a moment, and I was about to stand up, until I heard the crack of a door, causing me to jerk back slightly. The sound of a gun firing split through the air, along with growling.

I felt like a little kid, terrified of the dark. Whatever was happening in Frank's room was the cause of his odd actions. I wondered why it had taken so long for the noises to reach his room. Had Frank been fighting his way back up to his room? That wouldn't really make sense. Then again, not much about vampires did make sense to me.

Another sickening crack made it's way through the air. The sound of bones snapping under pressure. Numerous bones. Perhaps a ribcage being punched in. I could imagine someone's body being torn through by one of the vampire's fists. A terribly unpleasant thought. Especially with it most likely being by Frank's hands. The worst part to hear was another gunshot, and a gasp that sounded almost as if the person was swallowing their tongue in the process.

That's when something hit me. I never saw Frank with a gun. Warm tears ran down my cheeks, as I covered my mouth with my hands. I could hear scrambling, and scratching at the ground. Was it Frank that was shot? Could he survive that? I never really questioned the ability of the five, so I didn't know. I heard something slam against something else outside of the room, and what sounded like books tumbling to the floor. The sounds of scratching at the wood picked up again, however, it didn't sound necessarily like it was on ground. No, it sounded like the movements were on the wall. What if Frank was hurt and trying to get into my room? Would he do that?

I found myself reaching for the object in the box, carefully pulling it out, and aiming towards the door, after checking to see if it was loaded. Of course, Frank wouldn't give me something that didn't have bullets in it to save myself. I heard another gunshot, then silence.

Then there was shuffling, and a "tch" sound emitted from the person in Frank's room. After a moment, I heard him mumble, and the sound of the bookshelf guarding the door crashed to the ground. My fingers shifted on the gun. I felt like I was being taught how to use a gun again, like my dad had when I was little. Sure, he hadn't taught me much, mainly for the fun of shooting targets and balloons. Who would have thought I'd end up actually needing one?

The door creaked open, my fingers began to twitch as it did. It wasn't Frank. He said he'd tell me first. Who was it, though? I didn't want to shoot Mikey if he were coming in. As if answering my question, the door opened completely, revealing a man in a long coat, a black gun aimed towards me. He was covered in blood, with long scratches damaging his clothing, and blood was rushing out of one of his arms as if he was missing part of his limb. Perhaps he was.

Seeing me, my cheeks stained in tears, he shifted his stance a little, "girl?" he muttered lowly, though how his tone was, it sounded as if he hadn't expected to see me. "It's alright... I'm here to help you..." his voice tried to sound soothing, but the gun that didn't leave it's target of me didn't comfort me. My eyes flashed to the black object, and he seemed to follow my gaze, lowering it to point at the edge of my bed. Did he know I wasn't a vampire? How? Did someone send him looking for me?

Unlike him, I continued to hold my aim. "Did y-y-ou hurt him?" I choked out my question, and he nodded.

"Nobody's going to hurt you..."

As he said that, I shifted, letting him take another step towards me, but didn't move the gun. As his feet rose again, I felt my finger twitch, and the sound of the gun cracked through the air, along with a gasp. The man had fallen back, being hit in the stomach.

I began to wonder if he was dead, half tempted to get up and see, but I wasn't going to be like one of the stupid people in the movies who thought that someone was dead, and was killed by the supposedly dead person just as they got into arms reach. My body shifted again, trying to look out the door, to see Frank, but I couldn't see him.

"Bitch," I heard the man finally hiss, lifting up his head. "What the fuck are you?"

My eyes slowly made their way down to the stranger, "...one of them..."

Just as I was about to pull the trigger again, another sickening crack was heard, as two arms reached down and twisted the man's head quickly in one direction. Looking up, I saw Bob standing in my doorway, dark-eyed, and one leg seemed to be twisted the wrong way, a few bullet holes located in the arms of his shirt.

"Sorry I wasn't here earlier..." he muttered lowly, looking down at the man, "...Ray and I went hunting, and we got back just in time to help Mikey fight some at the door... but... Ray got beaten really badly..." he shifted, "and Mikey needs rest, too. Another broken arm. He ended up going alone when Gerard let us know that there were more than just a couple, and were coming through the kitchen..." he rubbed one of his injured arms, wincing slightly with each move, "usually they don't move in such large groups." The man spoke as if these were all animals that he was referring to.

"F-Frank?" I managed out, looking at him with wide eyes.

Bob sighed, "he's hurt too... We have to leave soon, though, or else more will come..." he mumbled lowly. "We've got until sundown to pack anything that we want and leave. Three hours and we're out..." he turned, "I'm going to help Ray and Mikey get their stuff packed."

'Hurt' wasn't enough of an answer when I had asked about Frank. I dropped the gun on my bed, and hurried into Frank's room, shifting as I saw another long coated man on the ground, a few feet away from who I was looking for. A vampire, using the wall as a support for his back, to manage to stay in a sitting position. His eyes were shut peacefully, but had a hand up, holding onto his shoulder carefully. As I crept closer, his hazel eyes slowly opened, looking at me up and down, a smile managing to creep onto his face.

"Why were you crying?" he murmured soothingly, shifting a little and wincing as he did so. I bit my lip, being careful not to let it bleed, as I slowly made my way to him, and carefully made him drop his arm down, seeing a small gouge in his clothing and skin, where a bullet pierced through. "It's nothing," he mumbled gently, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me down into his lap, "nothing to worry about." As he said this, I felt his fingers clench, pulling me closer for a moment, before pushing me back, startling me. I searched his eyes for answers, and easily got mine. His eyes had been darkening since earlier. I hadn't really noticed them darker when he had first opened them, but maybe being so close had bothered him more than he thought. It began to make sense since I first met the vampires, their eyes normally a fairly light color unless they didn't go outside of the house after a week or two, which by then would grow dark.

Staring at him, I crawled back into his lap, feeling like a little kid again, seeking comfort, and wrapped my arms around his neck. True, I did care about him. It took a lot for me to admit that I cared about a vampire, but I wouldn't lie about it.

Frank seemed to hesitate for a moment, before putting his arms around me, and pressing his face carefully against my neck. "You know, I might hurt you," he whispered gently in my ear. I could hear the pain in his voice while he spoke, but he was obviously trying to conceal it from me.

My eyes shut, resting my head lightly on his shoulder, managing a simple shrug. Really, I was concentrating on fighting back tears. Hearing that everyone around me had been injured was a terrible thought. Who could pose such a threat to five vampires?

"I'm sorry..." the soothing voice mumbled, as I felt his lips press against my neck, "but I'm losing my self control..." he murmured into my skin.