I Think About You Everyday

Change Your Mind

Today is Sunday. Well, nearing the end of Sunday anyway. Today at the diner wasn’t too busy.

Instead of a 9am-5pm shift, it was an 11am-3pm shift. I may have to work every day, but I need the money and my boss lets me have the occasional Saturday off. Chris is a really ‘cool’ boss.

It was now 4:00pm and I had just helped Steve clean the kitchen, and so he left to go home. I am now left to clean the tables on my own. Hannah had gotten permission to leave at 3:00pm for a date she had with Georg.

I got a wet cloth and walked around the counter to a table to clean when the bell above the door rung, telling me that someone was entering the diner. Did they not read the sign that said that we were closed.

“Ebony,” they said. I looked over my shoulder to see Tom standing at the door.

“We’re closed,” I informed him.

“I know,” he shrugged.

“So leave,” I hissed at him.

“I wanted to talk to you,” he took a step closer to me.

“Well I don’t want to talk to you. So leave,” I told him.

“Ebony, please. I feel so bad. I didn’t mean for what happened to happen. I went to the club with the guys to get you off my mind. I knew you don’t want me and so it was pointless to constantly think of you. Clubbing was the only thing I could think of. That girl meant nothing to me. I wasn’t even going to take her back to my hotel room. The plan was just to dance with a random girl to get you off my mind, nothing more. But then when I saw you, my heart sunk. And when you walked away with Hannah, my heart shattered,” he told me.

“Liar. You gave that girl a fucking hickie!” I yelled at him.

“I’m a liar?! You said you were busy, and there you were, at a club! And I didn’t meant to go that far! I. I still had you on my mind, okay?! I thought it was you,” he admitted.

“I didn’t plan on going to the club! I said I was busy because I wasn’t too sure about going on a date with you at first, but when you didn’t look in your pocket, it hurt me and Hannah noticed that, so she took me out! Anyway, I have to get on with cleaning the tables, so you can go,” I turned my back to Tom and went to clean another table. I heard Tom sigh behind me.

“Ebony, please. Just, give me another chance!” he followed me around the diner.

“I gave you a chance, Tom, and you blew it. You’re just another one of them,” I told him as I cleaned another table.

“Same as them?” He asked me. I slammed the cloth down onto the table I was at and turned to face him.

“The same as all the other boys. Boys never like me because I’m a “psycho”, and when one claims they “like” me, they just do what you did. They make me believe them and then I see them making out with another girl either the same day or the day after. It hurts, Tom, and that’s why I don’t trust people like you,” I told him, a single tear rolling down my cheek, which Tom wiped away with his thumb.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered to me, his thumb still on my cheek. I pushed his thumb away and whispered back, “Forget it,” grabbing the cloth from behind me and walking to yet another table.

“Ebony. Don’t say that!” He called to me. I stopped in my tracks and turned on my heel to face him.

“Why not, Tom? Huh? Why not?” He looked at me with a blank expression. “Exactly,” I turned back around and walked to the next table.

“Because... Because I love you!” He snapped, causing me to once again, stop in my tracks.

“What?” I asked him, not turned around.

“I said I love you, Ebony. I have this weird feeling in my stomach and I only get it when I see you,” he told me.

“I... don’t know what to say,” I replied.

“You don’t have to say anything, Ebony. I know that I have lost my chance with you. I’ll leave you alone now. Goodbye, Ebony,” he said in a sad tone. I then heard his feet walking in the opposite direction. I turned again to face him and saw that, yes, he was leaving the diner.

“Wait!” I called to him. Tom stopped in his tracks and turned to face me, a slight smile on his face.

I began walking towards him, staring into his big chocolate brown eyes, When I reached him, I wrapped my arms around his waist, which was engulfed by an over-sized jacket, taking Tom by surprise. I hid my face in his chest, taking in the smell of his cologne as he whispered in my ear, “I wasn’t lying, Ebony. I do love you,” making me smile like a Cheshire cat, which Tom luckily didn’t see.

Yep. This felt just right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title: Boyce Avenue - Change Your Mind

Second chapter tonight (:
And a warning: this isn't gunna' be a happy ending (;