Status: Wondering if I should make a sequel

Dreamers Never Wake

Day Two: Stranger in the Night

Settling down for sleep, Saige felt a slight draft coming from under her door. Sighing she grabbed a blanket from the cupboard and walked over to her door, intending to block the air flow at the bottom of the door with the blanket. As she bent down in front of the door, she was stopped dead in her tracks by a load bang. Slowly, Saige straightened herself upright and reached for the door knob.

“It was probably nothing,” Saige tried to reassure herself, but that didn’t stop the queasy feeling from enveloping her stomach. Carefully, she turned the door knob, a gush of wind blew the door open and Sage stepped back, stunned. She started walking down the hallway; there were no lights on in the house. Only a trail of moonlight on the floor, coming in through the open window could be seen. Standing in the door way, Saige looked up at the moon through the window at the end of the hallway, it was a full moon. She shuffled from side to side. It was slightly disturbing, Saige didn’t believe in mythical beings but none the less, she couldn’t help but feel slightly worried.

By now the breeze was starting to get on her nerves and Saige briskly set off in the direction of the window. Her socks stopped her from feeling the cold wooden floor, up until she stepped in something wet. Saige let out a shudder as the liquid seeped through her socks and in between her toes.

“Eww,” she cried, reaching down to pull her sock off. As the whole sock became engulfed in the sticky liquid, its smell became more prominent. Its stench reached Saige’s nose and the horrible feeling she was having suddenly became far worse. Looking down at her socks, the moonlight illuminated the big red puddle of blood in the middle of the hallway. Following with her eyes, Saige saw a trail of blood foot prints leading into her parents’ bathroom. Swallowing hard, she cautiously took a step towards the open door.

“This isn’t real,” Saige thought, “and what’s not real can’t hurt me… right?” Taking another few steps towards the bathroom and—being careful not to step in any of the footprints, her foot felt disgusting enough already—she flicked the light on and peered into the bathroom. Looking around she saw no sign of movement. The footprints had now turned into small puddles leading up to the toilet bowl. Saige felt sick to the stomach, the last thing she wanted to do was find out what might be swimming in the toilet.

“Maybe I should call dad,” she thought, but a loud snore coming from the opposite room made her stay put. Benjamin Boccaccio was impossible to wake after he started snoring. Knowing her parents were just a few metres away, helped with the queasy feeling in Saige’s stomach. Breathing deeply, she walked over to the toilet and looked in.

In that second, it seemed like Saige’s heart had stopped beating, she felt the blood leave her face and her hands go cold and clammy. Opening her mouth, she tried to scream but no sound escaped. The toilet bowl usually filled with water, now a dark red, and the object swimming inside is something no daughter should ever have to see. Looking down, Saige stared directly into her mother’s blood shot eyes as her head bobbed up and down in the bloody water.
Saige spun around as a chuckle was heard in the door way. Eyes wide open; she saw her dark and mysterious figure disappear from the doorway.

“You’ll be next Saige—”

“Saige, Saige, Saige.”

“Huh?” Saige’s eyes opened as her brother shook her by the shoulders, “Mum?” She asked, mouth dropping.

“What? No, mum had to leave,” Jensen shook his head, “Saige what are you doing?”

“What do you mean?” Saige wondered, looking up at her brother.

“You’re… crying?” Jensen said in amazement.

“What?!” Saige blinked and felt a tear trickle down her cheek. Crying she was and she too knew why.

Jensen yawned and Saige realised it must still be late.

“Go back to bed Jensen, I’ll be fine.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, don’t worry,” Saige gave her brother a goodnight hug as he walked away; quickly wiping the tears form her eyes. A dream had never made her cry before.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm soooo sorry this took so long. I know I said that I'd update this story really soon, but that was ages ago. See, what happened was... I had the whole story typed up on my other computer and that one has been really slow for ages so when I tried to post it on there it never worked so eventually I kinda gave up. But now I have successfully emailed the story to myself and the next few chapters will be up within the next few hours.
Thanks for being so patient with me.
=]