Spark of life

Time to depart

“Carter, come on!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming..............where are we going again?”

“I’ll tell you for the last time! We are leaving, here in London, for Bath and the locomotive leaves in 20 minutes! Here, let me help with the equipment.....”

“Okay Sir.....Thankyou Sir...”

The train journey was long and repetitive.......The constant clicks of the train on the tracks could turn a man insane in little time....

Sir had a small experiment set up on the table top. He’d crank a handle, flick a switch and an inch of blue spark would jump between the strange metal forms. I tended not to ask how things work, Sir would only confuse me with his knowledge and the words he used, but this was too intriguing to not inquire about....

“Sir.....Sir Humphries.....may I ask a question?”

“What is it that you want Carter!?!” He barked in response.....his face lifted expression and in an apologetic tone calmly spoke, “I’m sorry....but I’m having troubles maintaining a spark no matter how I calibrate the equipment..........now.....what is it that you wanted?”

“Nothing Sir.....I’m sure even if you told me, I wouldn’t understand......sorry to have intruded...”

He went back to his experiment, making very slight adjustments with thumbscrews and callipers...recording, what to me, was meaningless strings of numbers in his moleskin notebook...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not one to write reams....chapter's will be short.....updates will be erratic......so expect it.......sorry...But I do like comment *wink* *wink* ;)