It Takes Someone Special to be a Dad

You don't have to

I pulled my earphone out of my ear and grinned as I saw Max and Louise sitting in Starbucks already.

“Hey, it’s about time!” Louise called and stood up. She handed me my cup and we stepped back into the warm Jersey Sunday afternoon.

I took a mouthful of my frappucino and sighed with happiness.

“You seem happy.” Louise stated as we walked. I grinned at her mysteriously.

“Okay, fine, don’t tell me what’s going on.” She grumbled. “I don’t mind my two best friends hiding things from me.” She added sarcastically.

“Lou-Lou, I want to tell you. I just don’t think it’s a good idea to tell you while you’re standing in the middle of the street with a hot mocha in your hand.” I answered and dragged my finger up the line of coffee that had leaked down the side of my cup.

“Fine, can we sit in the park then?” She asked. I nodded and took another mouthful of the iced coffee.

*Time lapse*

“I met Gerard on Friday night.” I told her. She gaped at me and looked at Max.

“Are you serious? Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I thought it would be better if I told you to your face.” I replied truthfully and shrugged my shoulders.

“Oh really?”

“Yes actually. Gerard and I talked on Saturday and I was just too shocked to do anything.” I explained.

I grinned at Max.

“Plus, I had to start planning Max’s Nirvana hat’s funeral.”

“Look, I already told you, you don’t actually have to eat my hat.” Max laughed and nudged me.

I smirked at him and tugged at a few blades of grass beneath me.

“Okay, care to explain why you were going to eat his hat?”

“Max was convinced that Gerard Way was my father. I told him if he was…I would eat his hat.” I answered simply and waited for it to sink into Louise’s mind.

“So why are you planning his hat’s funer-“She stopped and her jaw dropped.

“Gerard Way is your father then?” She gasped and I nodded.

“Oh my God!” She yelled and launched herself at me. We fell backwards on the grass giggling.

“Did you get his autograph? Did you meet the rest of the band? Did you get star struck?” She asked quickly.

I pushed her off me and gasped for breath as I sat up again.

“Oh yeah, great conversation Louise;

‘Hi, I’m your long lost daughter. Can you sign this for my best friend?’” I said sarcastically.

“Yeah Louise, we’re not all like you.” Max added with a grin.

“Shut it Max. What did you do when you found out? What did he do?”

“I fainted and woke up on Saturday morning with a massive headache.” I answered.

“What, that’s it?

“We talked and he drank the last cup of coffee in the entire house.”

Wow!” Louise exclaimed softly.

I laughed at her stupidity and sent out a silent prayer that she hadn’t been there when I first met Gerard.

I’m not sure what he would have thought about his daughter and her best friend both fainting on him.