It Takes Someone Special to be a Dad

Meetings

“Mom?” I asked nervously and sat opposite her on her bed.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” She asked, leaning up, from where she had been resting against the headboard and reading a magazine.

“I’ve…err…been e-mailing Gerard.” I mumbled and looked down at my hands.
“I see.”

“Well, we’ve been in contact for 3 weeks now and…I was wondering if I could meet him?” I asked quietly. Mom sighed heavily and I forced my eyes up to meet hers. What surprised me was the smile on her face.

“I’ll think about it.” She replied.

“Mom…there was one other thing…what’s my dad’s surname?” I asked quietly.

She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment before replying.

“Holly, I don’t actually know. His parent’s were going through a bad spot in their marriage when they left for New York. I don’t know if they stayed together or got divorced. Your father could have kept his father’s surname, but I’m not sure.” She replied. I stood up, deep in thought.

She knew. I could see it in her eyes that she knew. I left her bedroom, quickly, and went back to my own, flopping on the bed and focusing on one of my MCR posters on the ceiling.
I focused on the band members, trying, and failing, to get my thoughts away from my father.

If it wasn’t him, then why hadn’t mom told me his surname?

*Time elapse*

‘That’s odd,’ I thought, ‘Who’s car is that?’

Parked outside my house was a Porsche 911. As Max and I got closer, I gasped, noticing it just wasn’t any old 911, it was a Boxter. It was one sexy mother.

“Max, oh my God, I love that car!” I gasped as we walked past it and up my garden path. I had to force my gaze from it, to focus on getting up, to the house, and opening the door without hurting either myself or Max. It was a regular occurrence, anyway, without a distraction.

“Maybe I should start saving? You are going to be an expensive woman to keep around.” Max teased, I could hear the laughter in his voice as I stuck my key into the lock and opened the door for us.

The only conclusion I came to, about the car, was that the owner had some spare cash floating around.

“Hi mom!” I called and watched as Max dumped his bag on the floor. I could hear the mumble of voices from the living room for a moment, before she finally answered.

“Hi honey, did you have a good day?” She called back through the closed door.

“It was average. Max is here by the way!” I yelled back and dragged Max to the kitchen. He perched himself on his usual spot on the corner of the table as I opened the fridge.

“Okay, you can either have water, coke or…coke?” I asked gloomily as I noticed a distinct lack of food in the fridge.

“That’s a tough call! I might have to go with coke, though.” He answered. I looked at him and saw he had a mock look of thoughtfulness on his face and a huge grin on his lips.

I threw him a can and shoved the door closed.

“Mom, when are you going shopping?” I yelled and opened my can with a hiss.

“Tomorrow!” Came the reply and I groaned.

“I can’t wait until tomorrow mom, our fridge looks anorexic!” I yelled back and grinned as Max’s can fizzed over.

“Tough!” She called back firmly.

I rolled my eyes and dragged Max off the table and back down the hallway.

“Can we come in mom, or are you too wrapped up in Springer?” I asked through the door. I heard low voices and looked at Max with my eyebrow raised. He shrugged in defeat and I sighed.

“Actually, I need to talk to you anyway.” Mom said and I pushed the door open cautiously.
As soon as the door was wide open, I became aware of an unknown figure standing by the fireplace, with his back to me. My heart thudded, as I thought of the possibility that the strange man was my father.

“Holly…This is your father.” Mom told me nervously. I flicked my eyes from him, to mom and noticed he eyes were wide and that she was pale, before I turned my gaze back to the man who claimed to be my father.

It took a few seconds for him to turn to me, but I took that time to take in his appearance. He had messy black hair, which wasn’t short, but it wasn’t desperately long, either. It flicked out everywhere, much like Max’s hair did, although Max’s was slightly shorter. My ‘father’ was wearing baggy grey jeans, which had a thin chain hanging off one of the loops on the back of his jeans and slid round the side of his left leg. The whole thing was couple with a black t-shirt.

He seemed familiar, to be honest, and I half hoped, he wasn’t who I thought he was if only for the sake of Max’s hat.

He turned to face me, and I met the eyes of the tall figure in front of me. Everyone was right; my eyes were identical to his. My chest started to constrict as it really started to register who was in front of me. The next thing I remember is gasping for air, before my vision faded and I passed out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone who wants to see the Boxter, just click here...