Connected

The ties that connect

The library was dead silent, like always, as Hermione chattered on about something in our ‘muggle studies’ text book that we would have to learn before finals. I didn’t know why I felt the need to take the class but now I was really regretting it. “Are you even listening?!” she screeched in my ear, ripping me from my thoughts and bringing me back to the dreaded word of tests, finals and studying. Before I could answer her question I could tell she already knew the answer by the blank look on my face. A drawn out sigh of discontent escaped her lips as she backtracked through a couple pages in her book. “Alright, let’s start at the beginning of section thirteen” she began, and this time I actually paid attention out of fear of another chiding, “it says here that muggles often associate love with red…” I knew most of this but she insisted we study, she continued “and, when two people love each other it’s considered to be a bond between the two” she piped fixed on the book as I looked up. “You mean like a tie kind of bond?” I asked immediately thinking of a variety of bows and knots. “Well, I suppose” she hesitated trying to somehow link the two. I shut my book creating a thundering boom that echoed through the empty isles then stood up from the desk,”I think that’s enough for today” a smirk made it’s way onto my face as I walked off, “don’t blame me if you fail the test” I could hear Hermione’s voice resonate as she continued on her study binge even though she knew the answers like the back of her hand.

When I made it to the double doors I stopped upon hearing a few small whines and growls penetrating through the libraries eerie silence. I navigated my way through a diminutive number of bookshelves before finding the origin of the noises. Cho Chang sat there at an isolated desk fumbling around with a small box. “Need some help” I laughed watching her curse under her breathe at the non cooperative pack. She turned around startled and smiled “that’d be great” she ushered me over to the table. “You see, I’m having trouble tying this” I spotted a big red and crumpled ribbon with the makings of a bow lying on the desk and we went to work.

Cho started placing the extensive ribbon in various places around the corners of the little white box while I kept my fingers in the appropriate spots. “What’s the occasion?” I moved now holding the slipping sides “it’s Cedric’s birthday” I could see her smiling at the thought of him as I rolled my eyes at her fawning. “Here we go” she moved suddenly bending over me. I could feel my cheeks getting warm and my ears start to burn. We stayed in that position until she pulled back to face me, “here” she caressed and held my hands moving them to opposite corners were the red satin had loosened. This intensified the deep crimson ruse that I quickly tried too shake off.

The trimmings were nearly complete as Cho pinned and fastened a large ruffle with the excess on top. She intertwined and tied so many things together I almost couldn’t follow the placement. “There!” see squealed happily observing her masterpiece. We both started to pull away but stopped abruptly leering at the box. Our fingers had both been wrapped and bonded to the frilly mess. I shot a haughty and grinning look towards Cho and her not-so-masterful craft. Scarlet painted her cheeks and ears as she contemplated were she had gone wrong. I stared at the jumbled band and Hermione’s words hit me. “A red bond” I thought aloud recalling what all it stood for. “Hm?” Cho glanced up at me confused;”ugh...ugh, it’s nothing” I laughed awkwardly flushed.

After a few minutes of tugging and unpinning we released the box from the satin binds. I helped her configure a less constructive bow and we were off. We walked side by side out of the library and down the halls. “Um...” she stuttered peered towards me. I stared back with a questioning look, “You wouldn’t mind accompanying me, would you?” she took a quick look back and then away. “Sure” I smiled. We made our way up another set of stairs to a foyer were the party had already started. Cho turned to face me before we entered,”thanks, for every thing” she leaned up and pressed her lips to my freckled cheek. I blushed as she walked in presenting her gift to Cedric and conversing with her fellow housemates. ‘Red bonds of love’ played like a broken record in my head along in time with our problematic wrapping experience and the thought of two people intertwined in life by a simple red ribbon. The word Love made a particular impact; I watched as she stood there laughing and smiling, she then caught my stare and shot an inviting look towards me. “Maybe” I whispered quickly joining in, never forgetting the twining red ties that held us together.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don NOT own harry potter or any of its characters, this one-shot is purely fanmade
RonXCho one-shot contest entry