Sequel: Shock Factor

From green day to Green Day

The Beginning

Nickey wasn’t really over Danny’s death, but as always, she could pretend she was okay. She had a new boyfriend, Mark. It was not nearly as serious as she had been with Danny, but she didn’t want that anymore. She wanted fun.

She woke up one Saturday morning and got dressed. Mark was making a home-movie of random people, so she made sure her clothes matched for once. She walked round to Marks house, and knocked at the door.

Marks mum heard the door, and went to answer it. A girl in a red tartan skirt, a green top and green shoes should in the door way. She had a red hat on. Marks mum tried to hide her disgust at the girl, obviously one of Marks friends. Such a strange boy.

Nickey, Mark and his little sister Crysta went to the park. Joe and Billy were already there. Mark through the camcorder to Joe and Billy started to jump up and down like a small child.

“Ooh, ooh, pick me! Pick me! Joe, Joe, film me boarding! Go on go on! I’ll do tricks and shit! Go on Mark it’ll be cool!”

So Joe filmed Billy on his skateboard, as he did some tricks, and fell off on the half pipe. Mark and Nickey sat on the wall, and Mark produced a joint from his camera bag.

A few hours later and they were all high. Billy was filming some dogs at it, and Joe was giving Nickey a piggy back around the park. Mark, who was more gothic than the others, was hiding in the shade of a tree in sunglasses, telling people he was a vampire and was about to melt. The dogs ran off, so Billy filmed Mark instead.

Nickey and Mark went to her house, and Billy and Joe went to Billy’s. Nickey opened the door and they walked in and went through to the conservatory, the living room. Nickey’s cat Fuzziface opened one eye and went back to sleep.

Nickey’s parents were away for a few days and Marks mum probably wouldn’t even notice if he didn’t come home, so he spent the night at Nickey’s house. She only had a single bed in her room so they used her parents’ bed, the only other bed in the house.

In the morning, Mark threw his condom in the bin, and Nickey changed the sheets so they didn’t smell of greenie.

Nickey went downstairs in her girl-boxers and an oversized green day top. She turned the radio on and checked her phone. There was a text from her sister, Molly.

It asked if she wanted someone to stay the night in case she got paranoid and had a panic attack, and make sure Mark didn’t stay the night. Giggling, Nickey replied a lie.

Then Mark came down the stairs. Nickey looked at him and burst out laughing. There stood Mark, in her pink girl-boxers and his eye make-up and sunglasses. For once a smile was spread across his face, ear to ear.

“Cool, these are surprisingly comfortable!” he laughed, “I might wear them today, as long as you promise not to tell anyone, okay?”

Half an hour later, Nickey and Mark went to the coffee shop. He ordered two Hot Triple Chocolates and a Mega Muffin, and they sat at a table near the window.

They sat with their drinks, shared the muffin, and talked about The Plan. Nickey’s parents wouldn’t be home for a few days, now was the time to run away. Marks cousins friend Jason had an attic where they could live.

Plan made, Nickey and Mark went home to pack. Mark snuck out while his mum was still at work with his suitcases, and when to where Nickey and her suitcases waited outside her house. Jason turned up in his car, and they left.

Nickey looked at the house as they drove away. Although she was sad to leave like this, she was happy to be escaping at last. Like so many times before, when she’d been a little girl going on holiday, she whispered what she’d said, with a new ending.

“Goodbye, house. Goodbye, street. Goodbye, Leyton. Goodbye, old life.” She looked at Mark, and he smiled. “Hello, new life!”