Status: Complete

Run Away With Me

Rosie

I sat in Frank's room, with Jake holding my hand, and Frank's parents and brother sitting across the room. His Mom was half-asleep, stroking her youngest sons hair slowly and soothingly. Just watching the slow movements made me sleepy as well. Frank's dad was sitting by the hospital bed, holding Frank's hand.

"Hold on son, just wake up, please, we need you to pull through," he muttered very quietly. I wondered if Frank could hear him now. If he could hear us, he would have heard my quiet confession of how I loved him.

The Doctor came in and immediately the room seemed to still, as his face was grave and somber. My heartbeat skyrocketed and I gripped Jake's hand too tightly. It was the only thing stopping me from collapsing.

"What?" Frank's Mom asked, her voice too shrill. I trembled and Frank's dad put his head in his hands. The room felt dead.

"I'm sorry, but it's been nearly three months since his last response," the Doctor said sadly. I flinched, had it been that long? "We initially believed, hoped, it had been Frank making progress. Instead we think it may have been a simple muscle reaction, and Frank is no closer to gaining consciousness. And if he's not any closer after this long, he won't get any closer."

My increased heartbeat slowed as quickly as it had sped up, if not quicker. I pulled myself backwards, as if trying to escape from the bad news. I didn't want to know. I didn't. I really, really didn't.

"No," I whispered, but nobody paid any attention to me.

"We think it may be time to try turning off the machines. The best we can hope for is that his body kicks in and he continues living by himself. It's a slim chance though. I'll give you a moment to decide."

He turned to leave, but Frank's Mom shot out a hand, and grabbed hold of the Doctor's long white coat.

"Just, do whatever you have to, as long as he's not in pain," she whispered. Frank's dad nodded sadly in agreement. The Doctor sighed then nodded also.

"Tomorrow," he said, then left.

Frank's Mom let out one small sob, then got to her feet shakily, and also left the room that still felt dead. Her youngest and healthiest son and ex-husband followed her dejectedly. I stayed where I was, staring at Frank's chest as it rose and fell with small breaths.

Where would that movement be tomorrow?
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah this chapter was originally going to be about 3 times the length but I was like 'Aaaah it's like 3am!" So I'm splitting it into 2/3 chapters.
Enjoy/Comment!