Status: Complete

Run Away With Me

Rosie

It rained on the walk home. It was depressingly symbolic.

Tears and raindrops danced down my cheeks as I wrapped my arms around myself. It had been a bad idea for a skirt and tank-top today. But I had so wanted to make an impression on Frank. Make him see past the depressed loser I used to be.

Or was I still her?

I clamped my hands over my ears as if I could stop hearing the thoughts that raced through my mind. I screwed up my eyes as I fell to my knees, but I could still see the look of disgust and hate as Frank yelled at me to leave. How could I ever believe he could love me?

I sobbed loudly, my whole body rocking with the wails that slipped with ease from my lips, bitten raw from stopping the screams. I couldn't stop them now, as I slowly went crazy in the middle of the empty street. He'd forgotten me. He'd saved my life. He'd forgotten me. He'd made me love him. He'd forgotten me. He'd kissed me. He'd forgotten me...

Just a few seconds, and everything was destroyed. I knew how true that was. In seconds your whole life could be turned upside down.

For my mother, it was the few seconds when the one line changed to two on those cheap pregnancy tests you get. For Frank it was those seconds when he dashed across the road in front of a car. For me, it was when the reason for living didn't know you were alive.

I sobbed, punching the sidewalk over and over again, ignoring my knuckles splitting and blood spilling into the rain puddles forming below me. I didn't care about anything, I really didn't. Maybe once upon a time, the old Rosie wouldn't have been as foolish to let anyone in so close. People being close to you meant it was easier for them to hurt you. I knew that.

I collapsed in on myself, my mind not making sense. I had no idea why in movies the actress can always look pretty while crying daintily when somebody dies or leaves them. My mouth was turned to a downward slash across my mouth, my eyes were sticky with running mascara and eyeliner, and I could feel my eyes and cheeks swelling up. Not so pretty.

Even though Frank was awake, I was still doomed to miss him for the rest of my life.