Finding You

Cassie

Chapter 5

The now familiar form of the snow leopard morphed into a shadow like black shape, before becoming clear; surprising me with the familiarity. Stunned by the change in my seemingly nightly nightmare I stood frozen staring at the new shape, entranced as it lunged, its teeth shining in the light once more, as it shot forward aiming for my neck…
Once more my alarm saved me from my nightmare, however I still could not shake off the picture of the black creature lunging at me, from my head. Shuddering at what the outcome of such an impact could be, I pulled myself up from my bed and got dressed in some dark skinny jeans and a purple top, ready to go to the café. Rushing down the stairs I sprinted for the door, only just missing the skateboard my ‘brother’ had left at the bottom of the stairs. Sighing in relief when I saw no flour or eggs around, I left the house. Feeling more considerate (*note sarcasm*) than yesterday I rang the doorbell as well as slamming the door to my hated prison as I walked out, leaving the skateboard in place so my family could get a taste of there own medicine.
Like normal the small café was empty and I simply ordered a banana smoothie, still freaked out from my nightmare and having no appetite. Cassie stared at me from the fading counter, her eyes locked upon my every move, it was strange, ever since she started here at the beginning of the month she had looked at me that way; as if she was trying to figure out if I was someone she was looking for. Freaked out by Cassie’s constant stare I got up and started my journey to school, not bothering to rush, I was an hour early anyway, just so I could avoid my brother.

Slotting the worn key into its lock I opened the rusting door to my locker and pulled out my class books, sketchbook and necklace. I closed the door carefully to prevent anything from falling out of the overcrowded space and set off towards the library and the peace it held. Of course no ‘cool kid’ would be seen in such a place, so I often took refuge in the small library at the back of the massive school. Personally reading is not one of my most loved hobbies, so I spend my time in here drawing mainly, however despite my skills as an artist my grades in art still lack… well a lot! My problem is I draw what I want and when I want, I’m extremely stubborn. An attribute that really does not work in my favour.

As usual I was the sole occupant to my table so I spread out my stuff, the table suddenly becoming cramped, even for one. I checked that I had done my homework and finished off some maths before eagerly opening my awaiting sketchbook. Terror shot through my already nervous system, my breathing becoming heavier and more laboured as each second ticked by. The realisation had hit me like a bullet, and the resemblance had hit me like a bomb. The picture I drew yesterday was of the jaguar in my dream last night. Admittedly yes I could have just been dreaming about my picture, but I have an alarming feeling that it was in fact the other way round; I’d drawn my dream. Impossible as it seemed I knew it was true and immediately I started to fiddle with my locket, a habit that I always do when anxious.

The necklace had been the only possession of mine that had been saved that day- the only thing not burnt, charred or smashed. It had hung unscathed around my burnt neck, but when they found me I immediately knew that if I wanted to keep it I would have to hide it, so I had placed it around my neck and under my top ever since. But recently the charm had been left in my locker due to suspicious behaviour on my ‘brothers’ part. If they took my necklace then I’d have no connection to my past and letting him get his filthy hands on it terrified me. Slipping the delicate chain over my head and hiding it beneath my top I packed up, gathering my books and stuffing them hurriedly into my worn bag before setting off, across campus to first lesson.
♠ ♠ ♠
please leave comments guys!