Sequel: Nothing's Ever Over

Before It's Over

If This Call

Between playing Ventura and Phoenix, there was a two day break. The drive between the two cities was only seven hours, so it seemed the boys and I had some time to spare. I knew they had something planned, but they refused to tell me what it was. Even Ross, who tells me everything, didn't let the secret slip. The only bit of information I was given was that I would be taking the first driving shift and driving us as far as Anaheim.

"When you get there, just look for a Wal-Mart and park there," Aiden had instructed.

For a band like ours – meaning one with little money – it was difficult to raise funds to pay for gas, let alone hotel rooms. Wal-Mart, along with Sam's Club's, were a great asset for a traveling band with little income. Both allowed trailers to park in their lots over night and although sleeping in the van was less than comfortable, it was free.

So the next two hours were spent on the road; the only sounds being Shane's snoring and the occasional rustle of sheets. I didn't dare turn the radio on. Adam, who was occupying the front row of seats, was a very light sleeper. The rest of the boys and I question how he can get to sleep in a moving van.

When I finally entered Anaheim and found the closest Wal-Mart, it was around eleven o'clock. The combination of the long day at Warped and driving had made me horribly tired. I pulled into the lot of the Wal-Mart and parked towards the back. I shut off the engine and exited the car, careful not to slam the door when I shut it. I then proceeded to walk around the front of the van and open the sliding door. Still taking precautions not to wake Adam, I climbed into the van and passed the two rows of seating. Aiden and Ross were courteous enough to leave me the pile of blankets closest to the door so I wouldn't have to climb over them. They probably thought I would trip, which was a correct assumption. I settled myself quickly beside my brother and fell into a comfortable sleep.

;;

When I awoke the next morning, we were already driving. I sat up slowly and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. After a couple blinks I could see the boys clearly. Ross was sitting in the driver's seat, obviously excited about something. He had the driving shift after me so we mustn't have been driving long. Shane sat beside Ross with his phone seemingly glued to his ear. Aiden sat on the right of the first row His head was down, his attention on something in his lap. Adam sat on the other end of the seat. He was leaning forward and poking his head between the passenger and driver's seats as he spoke quietly to Ross.

"Morning,” I spoke in a tired grumble.

The boys chorused back a ‘good morning’ before returning to their previous activities. Curious, I removed myself from the tangle of blankets I slept in the night before. I climbed over both rows of seat and sat myself between Aiden and Adam.

“What’s everyone up to?” I asked.

Adam sat up straight in his seat and smiled at me before answering my question.

“Aiden’s navigating,” he explained, pointing past me at my brother, who I now noticed had a map of California in his lap.

“I’m relaying directions to Ross and Shane’s on the phone with Norah,” Adam continued.

At the mention of Shane’s girlfriend, Norah, my sleepiness vanished and was replaced with the joy that comes with the promise of girl talk. Norah had been Shane’s girlfriend since before he joined the band. We met when she attended Shane’s first practice with the rest of the band. Norah was gracious and friendly, and she seemed to be an encouraging factor for Shane.

I chatted with Norah after every practice since and we became friends. Being surrounded by boys most of my teenage life put me in desperate need of female company once in a while. I guess that need helped me bond with Norah so quickly. She was always the one I could go to for advice on boy issues. She was, and still is, the big sister I wanted in Aiden’s place.

Norah and Shane’s relationship was always one I admired. Shane was a complicated human being. He and I bonded on the basis of music. He and Norah bonded on the basis of Norah’s understanding. I think he believes she is the only one that will ever accept him for who he is. She understands his family situation and his love of music, and she trusts him while they’re apart. Shane is immensely grateful to have found Norah. I know that for a fact.

“Avery,” Shane said, turning around in his seat to face me. “Norah wants to talk to you.”

Shane removed his cell from its position against his ear and offered it to me. I took it from him quickly, anxious to speak with Norah. As I did, I noticed the smile Shane only wore after speaking with Norah. I pressed the phone to my ear and was immediately me with Norah’s southern-belle voice.

“Avery! How are you holding up? Are the boys treating you well?”

I smiled and laughed into the receiver. “Hi, Norah. The boys have been behaving themselves, but I’m not sure how long that’s going to last. How’s school?” I asked as I climbed back over the two rows of seats.

“Oh, fine. Same ol’, same ol’. I’m sure you’re having a much more exciting time. Tell me what’s been happening on the Warped Tour!

I plopped myself down on the pile of blankets in the back of the van. “Norah, it’s only been three days,” I said and let out a small giggle. “I think I’m still feeling everything out. Ya know?”

“Shane says he spends most of his time in the van. I said he should make some friends.” Norah paused to laugh. “What have you been doing?”

“I’m at the merch tent most of the time.”

“Why am I not surprised? You need to let loose, Ave! Please tell me you’ve seen some sets at least!”

“I went to three in one day!” I shouted defensively. “Though the last was not done willingly.”

“What does that mean?” I could almost see the confusion written across Norah’s features

"It means Kyle Burns from Forever The Sickest Kids literally threw me over his shoulder and carried me to his acoustic set."

I could hear Ross laugh from the front seat. His eyes met mine by way of the rear view mirror and I squinted at him in mock anger. Norah's laugh came from the speaker as I did this. I let out a 'humph' and laid down.

"So, you already have boys chasing after you, Ave? 'It's only bee three days,'" She mocked.

"It doesn't matter if Kyle likes me or not, because I promised myself no boys while on tour."

Norah sighed on the other end. "Avery," she started, her tone reprimanding, yet soft. "I know you think that being a musician and having a boyfriend is impossible, but you're wrong. Look at Shane and me. Look at Adam and Natalie. We're making it. Besides, you can flirt and not be with a guy. Maybe Kyle's like that. Maybe he's just a flirt."

"Well, if he is, he's a persistent flirt. He won't leave me alone and I have a feeling he'll pester me for the entire tour. I can't ignore him forever."

"So don't."

"What's that supposed to mean, Norah?"

"It just means that-" Norah's sentence was cut off by a loud beep. "Hold on I just got a text."

I sighed and listened as Norah fumbled with her phone. There was silence for a moment, and then I heard Norah place the phone against her ear once more.

"Ave, I think you should look out the window," Norah said in a mischievous tone.

Slightly confused, I sat up again and faced the window to my right. Just as I did, Ross pulled the car over at the side of the road.

"We're going to Disneyland?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler.
I know.
I'm sorry.

Ask Kyle and Avery questions!