Sequel: Nothing's Ever Over

Before It's Over

But This Night

At the moment, I had no idea why I was fretting over the way my hair was styled or if my tank was ironed. I smoothed my hands over the front of the cotton fabric for the thousandth time and adjusted the crucifix necklace around my neck. Why did I care so much? That I couldn't answer, but I'm sure Ross would love to jump to the conclusion that I cared about what Kyle thought. He wasn't right, though. I was just worried about hanging out on a bus with six guys, the majority of which I had never conversed with before. That was the story I was sticking with, anyway.

"Hey, Ave!" Ross called from his place in front of the merch counter.

He was currently offering a free listen of our EP to anyone who walked by. The feedback he'd been getting was great and we'd already sold twice as many EPs as we did in Colorado on Sunday.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning from my spot in front of one of our merch bins.

"You look fine. Kyle's gonna be drooling all night."

"I'm not staying all night, Ross."

"You say that now, but you and Burns will be making love in a cramped bunk before you know it!"

At Ross's rather loud statement, a few passersby looked at him with wide eyes, while others chuckled behind their hands. I blushed and shot my considerate friend the bird before turning back to the merch bin.

"And, Ave!" he shouted, trying to regain my attention. I didn't turn, but Ross continued. "Kyle's standing behind the tent."

Mortified, I dropped the purple t-shirt I had been folding. I watched as Kyle's hand pulled the tarp wall of our tent back, revealing a guilty smile. He looked as though he was a child being caught stealing cookies before dinner. He slipped fully into the tent and shoved his hands deep into the pockets of his shorts. I merely stood wide eyed and embarrassed as he rocked back and forth on his feet.

"Hi, Avery."

The moment my name escaped Kyle's lips, I snapped out of my trance and took two steps forward so that I was a mere foot away from his chest. I had to look up at Kyle, but I tried to put on the most menacing face I could muster. I poked his chest with my index finger as I spoke

"I-" poke "-don’t-" poke "-like-" poke "-eavesdroppers!" Poke, poke, poke.

At first Kyle seemed taken aback with my forwardness, but soon a grin spread across his lips. Then, it was my turn to be taken aback. Kyle lifted his index finger and quickly poked my cheek before dropping his hand to his side again. My jaw dropped and Kyle chuckled behind the back of his hand.

"Come on, Ave," he said through his laughter as he grasped my wrist. "Time to go, officially, meet the guys.

Kyle pulled me around the merch table where a considerable amount of people had gathered with cameras pointed. We passed Ross, who had a mischievous and omniscient smirk plastered on his face. I childishly poked my tongue out at him as we passed and he returned the favor. Kyle pulled me through the crowd, saying hello politely to every fan he passed.

We walked for a few minutes before we were in the lot where all the buses were parked. It was empty except from a few spare techs unloading an unfamiliar bus. Also, it was quiet, the only sounds being the shouts from the techs and the faint sounds Angels and Airwaves playing from the main stage.

"The guys are excited to meet you," Kyle said as we walked amongst the giant forms of transportation.

"Why?" I asked, looking at Kyle curiously. Personally, I was terrified of meeting Kyle's band.

Making friends with people so close to Kyle was probably a bad idea. I knew that, and yet I was letting the warning in my mind slip away. I mean, Travis is friends with Kyle and his band, so I was bound to hang out with them sooner or later. What's the point in beating myself up for the inevitable?

Kyle shrugged his shoulders at my inquiry, my wrist moving with his grasp. He smiled at me and turned to face forward again. As we walked we passed my van and I caught a glance of Shane talking on his cell phone in the front row of seats. We walked past several more buses before the familiar red giant belonging to FTSK came into view. Kyle didn't let go of my arm as we rounded the corner of the bus and the door came into view. Finally, Kyle's long skinny fingers slipped from my wrist to open the door.

I climbed the steep steps into the bus behind Kyle and looked about the bus. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. The only sounds in the large vehicle being some sports game playing softly from the front lounge television and what sounded like typing. I was expecting the bus filled with six plus guys to be a bit louder. The second thing I noticed was the cute red head, who I knew to be Caleb, sitting on the couch with a Macbook in his lap. At the sound of Kyle and I entering, he looked up from the computer screen with a smile.

My second impression of Caleb was much like my first. He sent out this friendly vibe that I always got from Adam. His smiled pulled at his small, plump lips and made his eyes glint. He was obviously tall, I noticed this time. His legs were bent into a high arch as he sat on the couch. When he stood, placing the laptop down on the couch, my assumption was proved. Caleb towered over me by at least a foot.

"Hey guys," he greeted, the grin still in place on his features. It didn't compare to Kyle's.

I waved kind of awkwardly and Caleb smiled.

"Guys!" Kyle called from his spot next to me. "Avery's here!"

The bus suddenly erupted with noise. First came the rustling of sheets and the sound of Kent's body hitting the floor of the bus after he toppled from his bunk. Next was a loud 'ye-ah!' from Austin. Then came the rumble of fast footsteps, and finally, the bumbling sound of everyone tripping over Kent. I let out a small giggle behind my hand at the sight.

The next five minutes were spent reintroducing everyone. I couldn't help but notice the almost proud beam Kyle wore the entire time. It made me smile. The boys were friendly and exceedingly hyper. It was nice to actually have time to talk to all of them. Although, trying to converse with them all at the same time left me quite shaken.

"Hey!"

Kyle's shout boomed over the rest of the guys and caused them to fall silent. All eyes were turned on the towering blond and he smiled at his accomplishment.

"That's better," Kyle said before jumping off the couch he had climbed on in the chaos. He weaved his way through the group of boys until he was standing behind me.

"Now that you're all done attacking my Avery-" Kyle paused to wrap his arms around me and pull me away from his band mates. "I think it's time we decide what we're doing tonight."

I was stiff in Kyle's embrace, a bit shocked from the sudden contact. My back was pressed against his chest and his arms held tight around my chest. He didn't seem to notice my discomfort though, only smiled as he held me tighter.

"Excuse me, Mr. Burns," I said, poking his right arm. "But I don't recall ever being your Avery."

"Oh, well, that's 'cause it just happened now," Kyle whispered into my ear. "Don't tell the guys though."

Amused by his childish wish, I nodded and smiled. Kyle unwrapped his arms from around me and moved so he was next to me.

"So boys," I started, crossing my arms. "What are we gonna do tonight?"

"Party?"
♠ ♠ ♠
A chapter for a chapter.
This was supposed to be up this weekend,
but some information got me a bit down.
I think the next chapter will please a lot of you,
at least a little bit.

Ask Kyle and Avery questions!