Sequel: Nothing's Ever Over

Before It's Over

Becomes A Goodnight

The set was great, considering the early start. The crowd really responded to Ross, Adam and Shane were pulling off acrobatics they had been practicing, and I was successful in keeping my broken sticks to a minimum of two. These were small accomplishments that had a huge affect on the whole band.

Ross exited the stage jumping. The scowl that Shane wore during the first song was now a beaming smile. Adam graciously chatted with a few kids that were waiting on the side of the stage. I, on the other hand, said hello to a few fans and then hurried off to find Aiden in the merch tent.

When I found him, he was rushing back and forth from the pile of shirts and the table. The group around our tent wasn't huge, but it was large enough to keep Aiden busy. I took that as my cue to step in.

"Hey Aiden! Need some help?" I asked, causing Aiden to jump from his position over one of the shirt piles.

"God, Ave, give a guy a warning. Would ya?"

I chuckled and turned to the group around our tent, asking for the next person in line. I helped Aiden out in the merch tent until 2:30, only stopping to get us both lunch from catering. I knew Katy Perry was playing a set on the Hurley.com stage just before We The Kings played on the Hurley stage. I had put Katy on my 'Must See Sets' list at the beginning of the summer, so I couldn't pass up the convenient opportunity.

I weaved my way through the mass of people to where the Hurley.com stage was located; right next to the stage where The Forgetting Curve had performed that morning. The crowd made it hard for any of the cool wind to hit me as it came from off the water. I was tempted to buy some of the expensive water bottled being sold, but thought better of it.

As I neared the joined stages I heard the thumping of a bass drum before anything else and smiled. As I got closer I realized that the music was not that of Katy Perry.

Come back.
Come back to me,
And I'll take you gladly.
I'll take you in again.
Did you scream enough to make her cry?


For a moment I stopped dead in my tracks. It was just my luck that Kyle's band was playing right before one of the only two sets I wanted to see today. I took a breath and reminded myself of the non-existent chance of Kyle noticing me, then continued on my way to the stages. The SmartPunk stage was on the right so I moved to the left, close to the Hurley.com stage.

I watched Forever The Sickest Kids' as they performed their last song. I only heard the last minute of the song and I could only see the keys player and (occasionally) the lead singer from my spot in the crowd. Despite this, I could tell they put on a good show. Thier crowd was crazy. Tons of arms were in the air and the whole crowd jumped in sync with each other to the music. The song ended and the lead singer bid farewell to the crowd before leaving the stage with the rest of the band.

I then turned to the SmartPunk stage and moved closer to the center of the crowd that had already formed. It took a few minutes for Katy's backing band to come on stage. They started to play a tune I found familiar, but couldn't place. While I was concentrating on figuring out which one of Katy's songs it was, Ms. Perry herself emerged from the left of the stage, causing the crowd to erupt with cheers. She was carrying a handful of something red and shiny. It wasn't until she started throwing them into the crowd that I realized they were the same material as beach balls. The familiar yet implacable tune continued as Katy approached her mic and removed it from the stand.

Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time


I found myself laughing out loud as Katy sang a small portion of Madonna's song. When she flowed into the next song, I cheered with the crowd and lost myself in the music.

;;

Katy's set had finished and I was now on my way to the Hurley stage to watch We The Kings' set. The breeze coming from the water was hard to feel while walking through the crowds of people. I wiped the bit of sweat from my forehead and searched the area for the Hurley stage. As I stood with my eyes scanning the venue I was suddenly pushed to the ground from behind. The person that bumped into me was scrambling up behind me. I struggled to stand as well. When I was upright, a flash of orange and purple ran by me.

"Travis!" I yelled, running after him.

Travis stopped abruptly which caused me to bump into his back. We wobbled a bit before Travis turned to face me with a red face and a half smile. I gave him a confused look.

"Aren't you supposed to be at the stage right now?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm running a bit late. You coming?" Travis asked hurriedly.

I nodded and ran behind Travis as he led the way to the stage. We arrived in the backstage area to find the rest of We the Kings looking around anxiously. Danny paced back and forth, slapping the drum sticks in his hand against the palm of the other. Hunter and Drew sat next to each other on the stairs leading to the stage. All three boys gave us relieved yet angry looks when Travis and I came into view.

"Where've ya been Trav? We have to go on in like one minute!" Hunter said loudly, standing from his spot on the steps.

"Sorry, I got caught up. On the flipside, I ran into Avery on the way here!" Travis' voice was cheerful though his breathlessness made it hard to detect.

"Alright, guys! You're on!"

The boys filed up the steps and on to stage. I followed up the stairs and took my place on the side of the stage. Travis greeted the crowd and the boys rolled into Skyway Avenue. I stood on the side stage, watching the guys play and moving my body with the music.

For me, being a musician myself, listening to other people play is even more magical. When I sit behind my own drum set and control the beat of the music with my hands, I feel like I'm reaching out and putting my emotions in other people's hearts. When I listen to other bands play live, I feel like they put their emotions into me, and that's an indescribable feeling.

;;

I sat in my green lawn chair under the cover of our small merch tent. Aiden sat beside me with a portable fan in his right hand and a sweating water bottle in his left. Though it was getting later and the breeze off the water was stronger, the sun shone straight at our particular tent causing the heat to worsen. No one had stopped at the tent since I got back from We The Kings' set and our tip jar had yet to be even half full.

"Aiden," I tried not to groan out the word. "What time is it?"

Aiden turned his head to me lazily then lifted his arm as though it was twenty pounds heavier than normal. He then glanced at the watch that graced his wrist before looking up at me with a bored expression.

"It's almost five. We have a few hours before we pack up," he answered.

I sighed and watch longingly as he took a sip from his water bottle. Aiden, being the knowing brother he is, handed it to me after his sip. I took it from him gratefully and took a big swig filling my cheeks with the cool, refreshing water.

"Hey, Avery! You ready to go?"

And that was the second time Kyle Burns caught me in that situation.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really have to thank you guys.
I've recently past my 100 readers mark on this story and I have 26 subscribers - the most I've ever had.
For those of you who read/comment/subscribe - I love you.
Really. You guys are amazing!

Ask Kyle and Avery questions!