I've Finally Had Enough

Chapter 2

Jade turned and showed him a bright purple bruise on his back, turning his head slightly to catch the look of shock cross over his partner’s face. “This happened when something didn’t go your way and needed to take it out on something. Or someone. Which ended up being me. You pushed me…hard and I fell, hitting my back against the counter. The other times you’ve gotten angry, you’ve slapped me, punched me, or kicked me, whichever one you felt like doing that day. I still have a cut on my lower lip from where you punched me a few days ago.” He stuck out his bottom lip and revealed a long but healing cut.

Damian paled, as if that was news to him, as if he wasn’t sure if it was him who did that. “Jade…I…Jade, I really did that? But, I don’t remember it!”

Jade numbly nodded, hanging his head so that Damian wouldn’t see his sadness. “Yeah, you did. At first I thought it was an accident, that you didn’t mean to do it. I thought that you would stop as soon as you realized what you did.”

“Jade, I’m sorry, I really am.” Damian gave him a pleading look, a gaze that he was being sincere.

“Damian, we’ve had this conversation a million times already. I want to believe you, I really do. But, you’ve said this so many times that…I just can’t anymore. I’m sorry. Now, I have to go.” Jade rose from where he had been sitting on a stool in the kitchen and headed for the door.

“NO! I won’t let you leave. Jade, I know you’ve been thinking about leaving me, but I just won’t let you. Jade, I love you.” Damian stood up, his eyes blazing with anger. He strode towards Jade, clenching and unclenching his fists.

Jade automatically knew what was about to happen. He froze and then started slowly towards the door, wanting out of the apartment before Damian completely lost it like he had so many times before. “Damian, calm down. Don’t. This is what I’ve been trying to make you see. Damian, I’ve had enough, I can’t take it anymore, I’m sorry. What we had in the beginning was great. But now, all that has disappeared. It’s over, Damian.”

“Jade, I love you. And I won’t let you throw away what we have. I won’t just stand here and watch you walk away. I love you.” Damian walked towards him, still fuming.

“Damian, I didn’t throw away what we have, you did. A long time ago. I’ll be around later to pick up my stuff. Don’t be here when I do, please.” Jade placed his hand on the doorknob and just stood there, motionless for a few seconds. It was at that moment that realization struck. He was finally leaving the one person whom he had thought he loved and whom he thought loved him back. He shook his head and turned his back towards Damian, opening the door and taking a step outside. “I love you,” he whispered silently, hoping that Damian heard but at the same time wishing he didn’t.

“Jade…please. Don’t go.” Jade turned and saw Damian kneeling on the floor, tears streaming down his face, his hair falling in a cascade around his face.

Jade froze, taking in the scene before him, unsure of what to do. This was the first time seeing Damian like this, seeing him on the floor, begging Jade. Not the other way around. “No. I’ve tried to make you understand. I’m tired of living like this Damian, I’m leaving. For good.” Jade turned, closed the door behind him and walked away, heading towards his car.

I hope I’m doing the right thing. Please let me be doing the right thing. Jade thought to himself as he got into his car. Closing his door, he leaned forward, resting his head against the steering wheel and started to cry. I know this is hurting him as much as it’s hurting me right now.

What Jade didn’t know was that at that moment, Damian was still where Jade had left him. On the floor, crying and rocking back and forth, thinking of something to help him. Of someway to escape the pain in his heart that Jade had left behind when he left, without looking back.

It took Damian awhile to stop crying. He lifted his head, eyes shining, not with tears, but with malice. Towards Jade. He smiled evilly, knowing exactly what he was going to do to get Jade back. Even if it meant becoming a murderer.