I've Finally Had Enough

Chapter 5

By the time Jade reached Davey’s apartment later that afternoon, it was starting to get dark. As Jade neared the door, he heard voices coming from inside. Tentatively, he slowly opened the door a crack and called out,

“Hey, Davey? I’m back.” He waited a minute until he heard Davey’s voice and stepped inside.

“Jade, you remember my brother, Michael, don’t you?” Jade nodded, smiling at Davey’s younger brother.

“Hey, Michael, what’s up? Long time no see, huh?”

“Yeah, it’s been awhile. So, how’ve you been, Jade?”

Jade froze, knowing he didn’t have to tell him and he wasn’t going to tell him what had happened. He forced a smile before saying, “Good. I’ve been good. What about you?”

“All right. I guess. Well, Dave, I’ll see you later, okay?” Davey nodded, and walked his brother to the door, closing it gently after him.

“So, have you talked to him again today?” Jade shook his head, his hair falling into his eyes. “You still gonna go get your stuff? I’ll go with you, if you want.”

“Yeah, that’d be great. You sure you wouldn’t mind?” Jade walked over to the kitchen and sat at one of the stool.

“Of course not. Now, come on, before it gets darker.” Davey grabbed his car keys and walked towards the door, pulling it open and waiting for Jade to step outside.

***

Davey pulled into the parking lot where the apartment that Jade and Damian had shared up until that morning. It was eerily quiet as the two of them stepped out of the car, looking around suspiciously.

“Is it just me, or does it seem quieter than normal?” Davey whispered to Jade as they started walking towards the apartment.

“Nope. It is quieter than normal. Do me a favor and keep your phone out and ready to call the police. It’s kinda freaking me out.” Jade shuddered as he pulled out his key and inserted it into the slot, turning it and unlocking the door.

Jade stepped inside, quickly turning on the light in the hallway and sighed in relief. Damian was nowhere in sight. He walked past the living room and headed towards the room he and Damian had shared. He placed his hand on the doorknob, taking a deep breath before pushing it open. Turning on the light, he quickly scanned the room, making sure that he wasn’t in hiding in the room. He quickly looked back towards the bed and stiffened, closing his eyes and opening them to make sure that he was seeing things right. In the middle of the bed sat a full suitcase with a neatly folded note on top of it.

He slowly made his way to the bed, reaching out for the note, his hand shaking. He slowly unfolded it and read it silently.

Jade, love,

Like I said earlier, you will regret the day you left me, darling. Just remember one thing, if I can’t have you, no one will. I know every move you make. Oh, and another thing, tell Davey I said hi and to stay the hell away from you.

Love always,

Damian


“Jade! What’s wrong?” was the last thing Jade heard Davey ask him before he fainted, the piece of paper dropping from his hand and fluttering to the floor.

Davey didn’t know what to do as he watched in horror as his friend collapsed in front of him. He finally regained himself and rushed to Jade’s side, kneeling beside him and pulling his friend’s head onto his lap. “Jade, wake up! Jade!” Davey frantically looked around the room for anything to rouse his friend. His gazed finally stopped on the dresser, on which stood a bottle of alcohol. Grabbing a pillow from the bed, Davey gingerly raised his friend’s head and slowly lowered it onto the pillow. Jumping up, he ran to the dresser, grabbed the bottle of alcohol and a few cotton balls before hurrying back over to Jade.

“This better work,” he muttered to himself, dousing a cotton ball with alcohol and putting it under Jade’s nose, hoping he would wake up with the strong scent. He laughed with happiness when he heard Jade take in a ragged breath. “You’re all right! I was so worried. Don’t ever do that to me again, Puget, got it?”

“What are you talking about, Davey? Are you ranting again? Cause if you are, I should just walk away right now.” Jade forced a smile, his eyes wandering around the room. He froze when he saw the piece of paper lying on the floor next to him. “Davey, we need to get the hell outa here, NOW!”

Davey looked at him, confusion evident on his face. “Why? What did that say? I know it must have scared you.” Davey reached out to grab the piece of paper but Jade quickly snatched it away, shoving it into his pocket.

“Nothing. Let’s go now, Davey.” Jade tried to stand up but only managed to move a few inches to the side on the floor.

Davey stood up and offered his friend a hand to help him up. Jade smiled up at him and grabbed it, letting Davey pull him up. “I’ll get your suitcase.” He walked over to the bed and grabbed the handle, easily lifting it off the bed and carrying it to the door. He turned and noticed Jade looking around the room once more, immense sorrow in his eyes. “Jade?” He waited until Jade made eye contact with him before he said, “It’ll get better. Don’t worry.”

“I hope it does.”